• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

How do you define "sexual harassment?"

60 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, ImpishMom said:

I swear, the one thing that makes my temper redline is seeing men whine, "So, now I can get in trouble for hugging someone!" and similar comments.

Dude, you NEVER had the right to hug whomever you choose. That you consider a woman's right to bodily autonomy an infringement on YOUR freedom says you are a HUGE part of the freaking problem!

Women have led men to believe that not only do they have the right to touch them but welcomed it- Not all women, of course- 

3 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

Women have led men to believe that not only do they have the right to touch them but welcomed it- Not all women, of course- 

I suspect that's not quite right.

Women, historically, have not had the right to say no. They were property in many, if not most, cultures.

1 minute ago, ImpishMom said:

I suspect that's not quite right.

Women, historically, have not had the right to say no. They were property in many, if not most, cultures.

Its fact- Women have done as I described above- Not all women, of course- 

18 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

Its fact- Women have done as I described above- Not all women, of course- 

How can women teach men that it's welcome, or okay, when they didn't have the right to say no? It wasn't so very long ago that husbands 'couldn't' rape their wives.

And, to add, it doesn't MATTER if 60 women say yes, and actively encourage men to touch them. One person's consent only counts for THEM. Not for an entire gender.

And therein lies the problem, that some men seem to think that because whoever didn't object, they have the right to touch whomever they please, and the one that tells them no is the problem, rather than them assuming they have the right to impose themselves on whomever they wish.

Edited by ImpishMom

11 minutes ago, ImpishMom said:

How can women teach men that it's welcome, or okay, when they didn't have the right to say no? It wasn't so very long ago that husbands 'couldn't' rape their wives.

And, to add, it doesn't MATTER if 60 women say yes, and actively encourage men to touch them. One person's consent only counts for THEM. Not for an entire gender.

And therein lies the problem, that some men seem to think that because whoever didn't object, they have the right to touch whomever they please, and the one that tells them no is the problem, rather than them assuming they have the right to impose themselves on whomever they wish.

Those who didnt object have left a lasting impression- Those who flat out refused left a lasting impressions too- The "men will be men" attitude that women fueled continues- It was fueled for many, both sexes, by parents as well- It seems obscene to nurture such a thing and yet ..

On 05/12/2017 at 0:01 PM, Mame925 said:

The Bill Cosby case(s) intrigue me...I have no doubt he is a serial cheater/womanizer. Not entirely sure he is as guilty as his "victims" claim. He probably did coerce and made promises he may not have followed through to keep them...who knows.

Why need roofies if the women are willing?

12 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

Those who didnt object have left a lasting impression- Those who flat out refused left a lasting impressions too- The "men will be men" attitude that women fueled continues- It was fueled for many, both sexes, by parents as well- It seems obscene to nurture such a thing and yet ..

Sorry, but I'm seeing this as blaming women for the actions of men.

Men are completely, totally, and utterly responsible for what they do.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, ImpishMom said:

Agreed.

But, for example, a couple of those women at my hairdresser's have DSs. If they're teaching their DSs that a lot of this behavior is "normal" and that the women coming forward are "overreacting" (another word I heard during that conversation) or "just out for money," then their DSs might think such behavior is ok.  So yes, some women, bear part of the responsibility for the situation overall, IMO. In the end,  each of their DSs (or DBs or whoever) is accountable for his own choices, no doubt. But, IMO, women like these help to perpetuate the atmosphere in which sexual harassment occurs.

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, ImpishMom said:

Sorry, but I'm seeing this as blaming women for the actions of men.

As are women- Why would they not be?

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Komorebi said:

I see both- I see a woman being violated and an iconic photograph -- also see it as art / photojournalism- 

This one is a context issue....a major war in Europe was just declared "OVER"...in his excitement he overstepped a social boundary with no malicious intent....I might have hugged a stranger when my son came home from his second tour in Iraq...its' big emotional and life changing news. In the woman's defense, I'd not like being kissed by a stranger either.

A coworker running his hand across my butt has he passed by at the company Christmas party was disgusting, I was more puzzled than offended. I told the coworker/friend I was standing with when it happened. She agreed he was being creepy, but neither of us did anything about it. It wasn't repeated.

The jerk who groped my butt on the beach path got a nasty surprise....I was on my bike, he was walking from the opposite direction so just took advantage...didn't realize DH was a few yards behind me and saw the whole thing....purposely ran into the guy with his bike..."Oh, so sorry....keep your hands off my wife"

2 people like this