• Announcements

    • LaToyaADMIN

      Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

      We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

      PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

      Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Do you decorate for the holidays the way your parents/PILs did? (Question of the Month, December 2017)

13 posts in this topic

Maybe your parents/PILs cover(ed) the house in Christmas (or Hanukkah, and/or Kwanzaa, etc) decorations, but you're a minimalist, so you don't. Or perhaps, to the contrary, they were very frugal decorators, but you go all out/spare no expense. Or maybe you use(d) some decorations that they don't/didn't like (as when my DM/MIL disapproved of my decorating w/ dolls). Or perhaps you have access to decos they never did b/c of today's technology, and they are/were fascinated/perplexed.

In short, do you decorate for the holidays the way your parents do/did? Or do you do it very differently?

Or perhaps you don't decorate at all? Or??

Edited by RoseRed135
color

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

Maybe your parents/PILs cover(ed) the house in Christmas (or Hanukkah, and/or Kwanzaa, etc) decorations, but you're a minimalist, so you don't. Or perhaps, to the contrary, they were very frugal decorators, but you go all out/spare no expense. Or maybe you use(d) some decorations that they don't/didn't like (as when my DM/MIL disapproved of my decorating w/ dolls). Or perhaps you have access to decos they never did b/c of today's technology, and they are/were fascinated/perplexed.

In short, do you decorate for the holidays the way your parents do/did? Or do you do it very differently?

Or perhaps you don't decorate at all? Or??

When I was a kid my sister took me around to local craft shows and decorated homes being shown over the course of the holidays- Annalee dolls were insanely popular -- and adorable- Still are- Whenever I see them today it brings back fond memories- They're expensive!

I try to recreate how I felt looking at mom's holiday decor from when I was a child, which wasn't one of total excitement but more of a sleepy, relaxed, calm feeling -- and warmth- Then there was grandma and grandpas Italian decor .. which when I look at the village they came from, even how it looks today, makes complete sense .. from the colors they chose to paint their rooms down to holiday decor .. I keep a piece of their holiday decor out year round to remember them- 

Edit: not too keen on LED lights for me but enjoy others yard decor .. lots of fun to look at-

Edited by Komorebi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DH was our Elf....he loved everything about Christmas...me, heh...my mom always had to have the tree done 'her way' and often did the decorating while we were at school. She did much of the baking while we were at school too. So I grew up feeling a bit excluded from the process so never really developed the joy some people have. 

I'm approaching my 3rd Christmas alone. Haven't had a tree the past two years. The kids didn't seem to miss it, their joy is in being together. And they have trees in their homes. Christmas Eve was moved to DS/Dil's due to DIL having to work into early afternoon...our party usually breaks up fairly early in the evening so everyone can get home to be ready for Santa on Christmas morning under their own tree. So I have a wreath already up on the door. The box of music & movies is out. My sister & cousin and I have set a date for making the family Christmas cookie...they've finally agreed to help, just to make sure they get a share of the goodies. We may make tamales too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Money was hard to come by when we were growing up, but we cut a tree on our small farm and decorated it simply.  Daddy made sure we had fruit in our stockings and we all got "a" gift.

When we were raising our two, money was still tight and we had an artificial tree and some decorations given to me by my grandmother and I made some new ones and bought a few new ones after the holidays each year.  We bought a nice gift from us that was opened on Christmas Eve...possibly a new coat or new boots (never a toy).  Santa bought "one" toy and some cute things for the stockings.  I still enjoy shopping for stocking stuffers more than I do the "asked for" gift.

My two AC put up a tree and maybe a few outside lights and spend their available money on their kids.  Santa brings two gifts for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Christmas tree (real) vs. artificial when I was a kid, is everything to me.  I have some of my Mother's ornaments, some of my MIL's ornaments and have for almost 20 years now bought special ornaments of whatever the children were into.  Barbie, Dora, Jimmy Neutron.  Later, cell phone, computer, chocolate doughnut.  This year we took a trip to Knoxville, TN and I purchased ornaments that signify that trip.  For oldest daughter it is the bright gold U of TN sweatshirt; for their Dad, ornament of two tires with 2017 Solar Eclipse on it, etc.  Those special ornaments are theirs to take and decorate their own trees someday.  I get them at a place called bronners.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SueSTx said:

Money was hard to come by when we were growing up, but we cut a tree on our small farm and decorated it simply.  Daddy made sure we had fruit in our stockings and we all got "a" gift.

When we were raising our two, money was still tight and we had an artificial tree and some decorations given to me by my grandmother and I made some new ones and bought a few new ones after the holidays each year.  We bought a nice gift from us that was opened on Christmas Eve...possibly a new coat or new boots (never a toy).  Santa bought "one" toy and some cute things for the stockings.  I still enjoy shopping for stocking stuffers more than I do the "asked for" gift.

My two AC put up a tree and maybe a few outside lights and spend their available money on their kids.  Santa brings two gifts for them.

Sue, I do X mas almost like you. . OK more than one gift and  No clothes (until the children got older and that's what they wanted).  But not nearly as extravagant as a lot of people.  And I enjoy shopping for the stocking stuffers more than the gift too.  We had an artificial tree.  Ornaments were "antique" (hand me downs) from our parents and those the kids made.  Artificial wreaths, or home made ones cut from the greens from our yard, and 2 candlesticks flanking the front door.  I was driving home from work today and I thought how Shaker my house looks.  Tis a gift to be simple.....

My DIL has 6 Christmas trees.... I thought it would look hillbilly.  It is different, but I do think it looks nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, skipped said:

Sue, I do X mas almost like you. . OK more than one gift and  No clothes (until the children got older and that's what they wanted).  But not nearly as extravagant as a lot of people.  And I enjoy shopping for the stocking stuffers more than the gift too.  We had an artificial tree.  Ornaments were "antique" (hand me downs) from our parents and those the kids made.  Artificial wreaths, or home made ones cut from the greens from our yard, and 2 candlesticks flanking the front door.  I was driving home from work today and I thought how Shaker my house looks.  Tis a gift to be simple.....

My DIL has 6 Christmas trees.... I thought it would look hillbilly.  It is different, but I do think it looks nice. 

Yes ..

Ever since I was very small I liked the Shakers -- even though the illustrations in the encyclopedias of them dancing freaked me out the door ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoying these replies, people! Keep 'em comin'!

As for DH and me, we decorated more than either of our parents did when our DDs were growing up. In fact, besides Tree ornaments, we have lots of little seasonal figurines (Santa Clauses, snowmen, etc.) that can pop up, "unexpectedly," anywhere in the house. We cut down on their use, as the girls got older and stopped almost altogether once they were both out of the house. But once we had GC, we started up again, since they usually come over at some point during the holiday.

As for a Christmas Tree, DH and I always opted for store-bought, as did our parents, for safety reasons, etc. YDD does the same. But SIL insists on a real Tree, and ODD, apparently, is ok w/ that.. Last year, YDD let the kids go w/ them to pick one out, and I imagine they'll do the same this year. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am allergic to "real" Christmas trees.   It took me until I had my own kids to realize it wasn't just a seasonal allergy as I had always believed.  I now break out in whelps if I even touch the sap.  So...no real tree for me, I'd rather not have a sinus infection the whole month of December.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SueSTx - I don't blame you!

@All - As some of you know, DM and MIL actually objected to it, years ago, when I started using some of my DDs dolls as Christmas decorations (just a few, placed here and there, dressed in red/green doll clothes). For whatever reasons, neither of them liked the idea. The first yearI did it, they made critical remarks or questioned it ("You're really using dolls as decorations?") in a negative tone. When they saw that I did it again the next year, to their credit, they accepted it enough not to make any negative remarks. However, they quite pointedly exchanged disapproving looks (though I'm sure they would have denied it if I'd said anything). Every year after that, they either frowned at the dolls or at each other when they saw them, LOL! I guess they thought it was "too much" or "too unsophisticated" or whatever.

But I loved the way it looked, and, perhaps more important in this instance, my DDs loved it! (If they had objected, I would never have done it since these were, after all, their dolls.) I guess it made them feel as if their dolls were part of the celebration. As they got older, I gradually stopped doing it (didn't seem to make sense anymore). But at the time, it was delightful, IMO. :)

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2017 at 6:32 AM, RoseRed135 said:

@SueSTx - I don't blame you!

@All - As some of you know, DM and MIL actually objected to it, years ago, when I started using some of my DDs dolls as Christmas decorations (just a few, placed here and there, dressed in red/green doll clothes). For whatever reasons, neither of them liked the idea. The first yearI did it, they made critical remarks or questioned it ("You're really using dolls as decorations?") in a negative tone. When they saw that I did it again the next year, to their credit, they accepted it enough not to make any negative remarks. However, they quite pointedly exchanged disapproving looks (though I'm sure they would have denied it if I'd said anything). Every year after that, they either frowned at the dolls or at each other when they saw them, LOL! I guess they thought it was "too much" or "too unsophisticated" or whatever.

But I loved the way it looked, and, perhaps more important in this instance, my DDs loved it! (If they had objected, I would never have done it since these were, after all, their dolls.) I guess it made them feel as if their dolls were part of the celebration. As they got older, I gradually stopped doing it (didn't seem to make sense anymore). But at the time, it was delightful, IMO. :)

Sounds to me like they complained about the dolls but never actually offered you a reason why they didn't like them- I'd guess they were frightened by them, many people are -- believe it or not ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

Sounds to me like they complained about the dolls but never actually offered you a reason why they didn't like them- I'd guess they were frightened by them, many people are -- believe it or not ..

Yep. I'm ok w/most dolls, but there are some, esp the older china ones, that look like they could come awake at night and suck out your soul. Blech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Sounds to me like they complained about the dolls but never actually offered you a reason why they didn't like them- I'd guess they were frightened by them, many people are -- believe it or not ..

Maybe. I never thought of that! But I can't think of any dolls my DDs had that were scary. And some of the ones we used (different ones each year) either DM or my ILs had bought them. Among them were the 2 American Girl dolls DM got them (1 each). (True, they were very new back then, but DM was the one who told us about them - she loved the idea!). So I suspect it's more about their thinking it was "too much" (neither of them decorated a lot) or "too cute" or something. :)

3 hours ago, ImpishMom said:

Yep. I'm ok w/most dolls, but there are some, esp the older china ones, that look like they could come awake at night and suck out your soul. Blech.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now