• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
BalloonPants

Cloth diapers & rubber pants

74 posts in this topic

Do you remember? Thought it would be fun to reminisce about the days of old!

The folding?

The pinning?

The dunking and rinsing (in the toilet)?

The diaper pail? Oh my word! When you lifted the lid! How the ammonia odour of urine would burn your nose and eyes!

Hanging them on the line to dry?

Poking yourself with the pins? Ouch! I totally remember that! LOL!

The rubber pants? They smelled so bad when a kid went poop!

Double diapering at nighttime?

The plasticy sound the rubber pants made?

What are your memories of cloth diapers and rubber pants?

1 person likes this

I remember all the above! LOL!

Not only did I use cloth diapers and rubber pants on my children, I used to change baby siblings that wore them, and back in the old day when I used to babysit, there wasn't a household I sat at that didn't use cloth diapers and rubber pants.

Want to add, got the idea for this topic after talking with MdGrandma, about toilet training, diapers (the old-fashioned cloth version), and diaper pins!

Was just thinking about when my kids had diarrhea, and how the rubber pants would need changing with every diaper!

3 hours ago, BalloonPants said:

Was just thinking about when my kids had diarrhea, and how the rubber pants would need changing with every diaper!

Ugh! LOL!

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, RoseRed135 said:

Ugh! LOL!

LOL, RR! I know... never set out to create a TMI post, but looks like I succeeded. :bad:  :)  

1 person likes this

RoseRed. I know a momma that used to light-up a cigarette before changing a real bad diaper, because she'd rather smell the cigarette than the full diaper!

I won't tell you who that momma is, but my bet is it won't take you long to figure it out. LOL!

Oh... wow... ;)

1 person likes this

RoseRed. Disclaimer: No kid or pair of rubber pants was ever harmed by mommy's hot cigarette! LOL!

Glad to hear it.

RoseRed. Knowing you babysat back in the 60's, I have a sneaking suspicion you have a story or two to share about this! :) 

LOL! There's a few others holding back on this conversation as well! I know who you are! :) 

14 hours ago, BalloonPants said:

When ODD was a very young infant we took her to her first Easter mass....well lucky for me DH was holding her at the time.  Just imagine cloth diapers, rubber pants, pretty white tights....leaking all down my DH's leg...OMG!  So gross and so funny all at the same time.  It was so bad we had to leave church.  Not sure who smelled worse that day!

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Mdgrandma said:

When ODD was a very young infant we took her to her first Easter mass....well lucky for me DH was holding her at the time.  Just imagine cloth diapers, rubber pants, pretty white tights....leaking all down my DH's leg...OMG!  So gross and so funny all at the same time.  It was so bad we had to leave church.  Not sure who smelled worse that day!

Awww... poor thing. I do remember a leak every now and then, though rare, usually out one of the elastic leg holes of the rubber pants, but overall those old cloth diapers (snugly pinned) with rubber pants were reliable and trusty.

We had gathered-up the family one early afternoon to attend a family get-together at the lake, and oldest son (in his two's at the time) filled his pants as soon as we left the house. So when we arrived at the beach, I plucked DS out of the backseat of the car, stripped him down to his rubber pants, then whisked him off to the waters-edge for a good old-fashioned butt and diaper rinsing.

Just like an agitator does on a top-loading washing machine, pulling (back-and-forth) whatever it is that's inside the drum being laundered, I hooked DS under each armpit, dunked him waist-deep into the water, then proceeded to swish him back and forth like a pendulum, flushing out his diapers.

When all was said and done, it looked as though DS was wearing a fish-bowl on his bottom! I never knew a pair of rubber pants could hold so much water!

I remember one thing that made change-time go quicker and smoother, was powdering those rubber pants between changes. A light dusting of baby powder applied to the inside of the rubber pants, and those pants slipped up and down a kids legs like silk. Worked great when changing a wet diaper. The elastics wouldn't stick and grab so bad to said kids legs when you pulled the rubber pants down.

Yeah, DM used to recommend baby powder. But by the time I had my kids, doctors were cautioning against it.

I used disposables, but still remember having to put rubber pants over them b/c, I think, they were leaky. By the time YDD was having kids, most companies contoured the disposables so carefully that there were rarely any leaks (though sometimes, sigh...)

So much has changed. Sometimes I wonder how any of us or our kids survived! ;)

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

1 minute ago, RoseRed135 said:

Yeah, DM used to recommend baby powder. But by the time I had my kids, doctors were cautioning against it.

I used disposables, but still remember having to put rubber pants over them b/c, I think, they were leaky. By the time YDD was having kids, most companies contoured the disposables so carefully that there were rarely any leaks (though sometimes, sigh...)

Yep, Pampers and rubber pants, I do remember.

Indeed, times have changed as far as using baby powder goes. Gosh, I used a lot of it with my kids, but knowing what we know now, I wouldn't chance it.

I have numerous chemical sensitivities...baby powder is on the list...makes me gag...

I was SAHM when the kids were little so only used the plastic pants at night...I kept a close watch on the wet/muddy diapers....their skin issues made me vigilant...

1 person likes this

My two were sensitive to the disposable diapers, so I only used them is going to the city for the day.

Our pedi said to keep that powder off "his babies because it turned into urine paste.  Mom could use it if she wanted to.  Now 'they' are blaming female cancer on its use.  I'm glad I didn't use it on my kids or me.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Mame925 said:

I have numerous chemical sensitivities...baby powder is on the list...makes me gag...

I was SAHM when the kids were little so only used the plastic pants at night...I kept a close watch on the wet/muddy diapers....their skin issues made me vigilant...

Mame. I was always anal about checking and changing, too. I commend you for allowing your kids to go without rubber pants during the day. Much more healthy for a child. I always used the pants... to the point of ridiculousness. 

6 hours ago, SueSTx said:

My two were sensitive to the disposable diapers, so I only used them is going to the city for the day.

Our pedi said to keep that powder off "his babies because it turned into urine paste.  Mom could use it if she wanted to.  Now 'they' are blaming female cancer on its use.  I'm glad I didn't use it on my kids or me.

Sue. The longer I live, the more convinced I am that less is more, and if it's not essential, don't use it.  

I am SO GLAD I had my girls during the age of disposables.  You ladies were warriors ! LOL :) 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Oranges said:

I am SO GLAD I had my girls during the age of disposables.  You ladies were warriors ! LOL :) 

Not really, just doing the best we could with what was available. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't know any better! The only thing I knew is that my kids had absurdly sensitive skin...DS' 3 kids all have his fragile skin...

My objection to disposables for older kids is that they don't know when they're wet (slogan is "keeps baby drier")...wet is uncomfortable (usually) so the 2+ group is more willing to learn to use the potty. The heavy cotton training pants are great for this.

1 person likes this

My two are 18 months apart...younger sister started walking at 9 months when we were in the process of potty train big brother.  She would unpin her diapers, potty and put on his training pants.  We bought big boy cartoon undies the next time we went to town and did away with the cloth diapers.  I went from two in diapers to two in trainers almost overnight.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Oranges said:

Oranges. I actually had my kids in the age of disposables, however, I loathed disposables (do to this day), so cloth it was. :)