• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Are your GC's parents "too strict?" Or "too permissive?"

5 posts in this topic

The GP.com FB page is featuring the following article about GPs who think their AC/CIL are "too permissive" (my words):

https://www.grandparents.com/family-and-relationships/family-matters/permissive-parenting

Then again, there are GPs who have come in here and complained that their AC/CIL were "too easy" on the GC. And parents who gripe that the GPs are too lenient w/ their kids and bend/break parental rules, etc.

So now I'm wondering... If you're a GP, have you ever thought your AC/CIL were too strict/too permissive?

Or as the parent of underage kids, do/did you ever think either of these about their GPs?

Or hey, have you ever felt that the parents/GPs of any other relative kids were too strict or too lenient?

Too inconsistent...

And I hate when it's "wait til your Dad gets home."  

5 hours ago, SueSTx said:

Too inconsistent...

And I hate when it's "wait til your Dad gets home."  

My dad was a fireman, with all the crazy shift work that entails...it was a great way to grow up (he was often home when we got home from school), but at discipline time, my mom could hold her own...if there was particular stubbornness happening her go-to line was "do we need to call your father" if he was working....uh, no, that's ok, I'll just die now....he was very fair and very firm...yes meant yes & no meant no, however, they always put out a united front....

1 person likes this

My parents were very consistent as was I.  Dad worked shift work and some weeks we didn't even see him.  He got up after we left for school and left for work before we got home from school.  There was no waiting for "your father".  Hubby farmed so it was daylight to dark most of the year, but he was usually here when school was out during the winter and took the kids to school every morning because I was already at work.

Consistency is the key in my opinion.

1 person likes this

I must say for all the issues that my DIL has she has been very consistent and it is one of the many things I admire in her.

1 person likes this