• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
BalloonPants

Home-laundered diapers or diaper service

11 posts in this topic

RoseRed's, (spanking) thread, got me to thinking about this one.

I never had diaper service, always did the old-school home-laundered diapers in my home, and it was easy enough for me, though thinking back on it now in retrospect, I'm sorry I didn't give diaper service a try, even for a few weeks or so, just to say I did.

I've often though about the costs associated with such a service, that is compared to washing your own diapers at home. I suspect the overall cost would have been comparable to using disposable diapers, and it's always been my understanding that diaper related incidentals such as pins and rubber pants, were the responsibility of mothers.

But the idea of having freshly laundered and sanitized diapers dropped-off weekly, with the pail full of used ones picked-up (same time), would have made for a trouble-free way to diaper baby in cloth.

1 person likes this

When my kids were born (late 70s, early 80s) northern California was in a severe water shortage with rationing...diaper service was actually a very cost effective convenience. it was simple, practical and cost less per month than disposables.

1 person likes this

Mame. Thanks so much for dropping-by to share your experience related to. It seemed like not that long ago that diaper services were still popular, there were so many around, then overnight (so it seemed), so many closed their doors forever.

Over and above the positives you relayed, Mame, I think diaper service would have been a blessing with multiples. I remember with my first, how exhausted I was after she was born, and having to dig-down for all I was worth to find the energy to launder a load of diapers every few days. My mom actually came and stayed with me for a couple of weeks to help out, providing me with much needed rest and time to recuperate.

2 hours ago, BalloonPants said:

Mame. Thanks so much for dropping-by to share your experience related to. It seemed like not that long ago that diaper services were still popular, there were so many around, then overnight (so it seemed), so many closed their doors forever.

Over and above the positives you relayed, Mame, I think diaper service would have been a blessing with multiples. I remember with my first, how exhausted I was after she was born, and having to dig-down for all I was worth to find the energy to launder a load of diapers every few days. My mom actually came and stayed with me for a couple of weeks to help out, providing me with much needed rest and time to recuperate.

I could sure have used one of those in my time! 

1 person likes this

My parents raised a dear cousin of mine in our home for several years, and I recall DM using a diaper service while he was a baby. I always assumed I would do the same when I had kids, but by then there were disposables and I used those instead.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

My parents raised a dear cousin of mine in our home for several years, and I recall DM using a diaper service while he was a baby. I always assumed I would do the same when I had kids, but by then there were disposables and I used those instead.

I had a friend in high school, who's mom took-in a baby nephew from the time he was little, and though they didn't use diaper service, they did use plain old-fashioned cloth diapers. She shared her room with the baby, which resulted in her being on diaper duty a lot of the time, especially in the middle of the night.

The fact you mentioned that you were planning on using diaper service when you had children of your own, tells me that a lot of us go with what we remember from when we were younger, either as a result of what our baby siblings wore, or from babysitting experience. Of course there is also the crowd like Jannelle and myself, that had no choice in the matter, due to having one too many bottoms to diaper in our homes, so cloth diapers were the only option.

Edited by BalloonPants
1 person likes this

I had a gift of diaper service when my first was born. I really missed it after the 6 weeks was up but washed my own diapers. Disposables had come out but were expensive and didn't work very well at the time. By the time my youngest was born disposables were better quality and less expensive so I used them more often. I doubt there are enough cloth diaper users now for a diaper service to be successful.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, missmm said:

I had a gift of diaper service when my first was born. I really missed it after the 6 weeks was up but washed my own diapers. Disposables had come out but were expensive and didn't work very well at the time. By the time my youngest was born disposables were better quality and less expensive so I used them more often. I doubt there are enough cloth diaper users now for a diaper service to be successful.

It's too bad so many diaper services went under, as I think they were a great way to get mothers onboard with using cloth diapers. 

I do remember the terrible disposable diapers of the past. No elastics, you couldn't open or refasten the tapes, and they fit something awful.

I didn't mind laundering diapers or even using them for that matter, but then again, I had a lot of experience changing cloth diapers prior to when my first was born, so I think that helped things along. So much easier being familiar with something than starting from scratch.

You're right... cloth diaper use just isn't what it used to be. I remember when EVERYONE used cloth diapers. Everyone's clothesline had a row of freshly laundered diapers strung from one end to the other when I was growing up.

Missmm. When you went to home-laundered diapers, did you line-dry?

I never line-dryed  anything if I could help it! I can remember when we first got a clothes dryer ( I was about 12) and how wonderful it was not to have to hang out the clothes. No worry about rain, dampness, cold. It was my job to do laundry by that age, so I was thrilled. But I did have the flat diapers and remember diaper pails, bleach, pre-rinse, pre-wash, wash, folding two piles, one to fit the baby and a second pile to fit the toddler. I understand busy moms choosing not to use the cloth diapers, it's a lot of extra work.

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎20 at 8:07 AM, missmm said:

I never line-dryed  anything if I could help it! I can remember when we first got a clothes dryer ( I was about 12) and how wonderful it was not to have to hang out the clothes. No worry about rain, dampness, cold. It was my job to do laundry by that age, so I was thrilled. But I did have the flat diapers and remember diaper pails, bleach, pre-rinse, pre-wash, wash, folding two piles, one to fit the baby and a second pile to fit the toddler. I understand busy moms choosing not to use the cloth diapers, it's a lot of extra work.

I know, modern conveniences are nice, that's a fact, but I'm one of those old-fashioned types that revels in doing certain things the old-school way, and line-drying is one of them. I even like to iron, too! LOL!

You sound so much like me, Missmm, in that you kept two separate piles of diapers on the go. In the beginning I practiced folding diapers different sizes for each kid, but gave up on that after visiting my SIL one day and seeing how she folded her diapers. She folded one-size for all under her roof, and from that day forward I did the same in my home.

One thing I did do although, was adopt my moms old practice of keeping two separate piles of diapers (folded and ready) in the baby or babies rooms. One pile was for daytime (folded thinner), with the other pile being tradition double diapers (thicker and more absorbent for naptime, nighttime, and outings).

You're right, cloth diapers did equate to a little more work, but as a mom I enjoyed the process. Always had a way of making me feel wistful... pulling two corners of a diaper together and closing with a safety pin. So nostalgic!