• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
Gigima

Do you still work and read?

11 posts in this topic

I still work and find when I am working and trying to keep up with the latest research in my field and attending courses I just don’t read at all, or maybe a few pages before bed. But when I am on holiday I am a voracious reader. Are there any other GPs too busy to read at times who seem to “make up” in the holidays?

2 people like this

I've been a reader all my life as is hubby.  We probably read more books per month since retirement though.  Funny thing is, neither of our adult kids are big readers even though they have seen us read all their lives.

Son is more apt to read technical type journals for his current hobby than any work of reading for entertainment.  Daughter has never been a reader beyond what had to be done for her studies.  It will be interesting to see if she becomes a reader later in life when she has more free time.

1 person likes this

My last work incarnation is as a middle/high school library services manager....me and a room full of books....I read all the time. Currently I'm in the middle of reorganizing my home while working on Christmas projects for my ggirlies, so reading not so much, but I do have a stack of books at the ready...and several trips coming up involving flying...which is, of course, the epitome of 'unavoidable delay'...

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Mame925 said:

My last work incarnation is as a middle/high school library services manager....me and a room full of books....I read all the time. Currently I'm in the middle of reorganizing my home while working on Christmas projects for my ggirlies, so reading not so much, but I do have a stack of books at the ready...and several trips coming up involving flying...which is, of course, the epitome of 'unavoidable delay'...

Oh heaven! To work in a room full of books..... I wouldn’t get any work done. Yup flying is my best time for reading. It helps while away the boring hurry-up-and-wait of commuting.  

These days, my main time for reading is in my car, while waiting for my DGC to come out of school or out of an extracurricular if I'm the one picking them up, and if I don't stop somewhere for coffee, etc. But I still find I do longer stretches of uninterrupted reading when on our annual family vacation. :)

4 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

These days, my main time for reading is in my car, while waiting for my DGC to come out of school or out of an extracurricular if I'm the one picking them up, and if I don't stop somewhere for coffee, etc. But I still find I do longer stretches of uninterrupted reading when on our annual family vacation. :)

Oh yes I love the holiday readings. I have kindle and iBooks, but none of those will ever replace the feel of a real book in my hands, plus you can take them anywhere, even where there is zero reception :D 

1 person likes this

On 12/11/2017 at 2:08 AM, Gigima said:

I still work and find when I am working and trying to keep up with the latest research in my field and attending courses I just don’t read at all, or maybe a few pages before bed. But when I am on holiday I am a voracious reader. Are there any other GPs too busy to read at times who seem to “make up” in the holidays?

I have turned to getting audiobooks too, I love audible and will listen to books on commutes and while I clean the house etc.

But yes, over the holiday, I read alot, in the winter I like nothing better than to have a nice snow day, a comfy chair, a book and a cup of nice tea... give me a blanket and a curled up kitty at my feet and well.. that's a perfect "me" day. 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Tobias41 said:

I have turned to getting audiobooks too, I love audible and will listen to books on commutes and while I clean the house etc.

But yes, over the holiday, I read alot, in the winter I like nothing better than to have a nice snow day, a comfy chair, a book and a cup of nice tea... give me a blanket and a curled up kitty at my feet and well.. that's a perfect "me" day. 

Sounds like my perfect day too! 

1 person likes this

I even read in the bath tub.  Any old paper back will do.  You can tell by the covers which ones I've read in the bath.

3 people like this

On 12/12/2017 at 1:59 AM, RoseRed135 said:

Have you started your next John Jakes experience?  That would be the North & South trilogy.....lol

2 hours ago, Mame925 said:

Have you started your next John Jakes experience?  That would be the North & South trilogy.....lol

Not yet. But I will soon.

1 person likes this