• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

"Down through the chimney with lots of toys..."

12 posts in this topic

It's holiday-time, and if you've got young children or GC, that may mean you're buying toys  Do you tend to favor any particular kind - the classic or the trendy? wooden or high-tech? just pure fun or educational?

If you're a GP (other relative), are you the one who likes to give every girl a Raggedy Ann and every boy a set of hand-operated trains? Or the one who usually shows up with the latest Dora or Barbie doll for the girls and a battery-powered helicopter for the boys? Or are your choices guided by the children's wishes or their parents' preferences for them?

And/or as a parent, do/did/would you have specific boundaries regarding types or number of toys given at Christmas/Hanukkah  - or any other time, for that matter?

ETA: We've talked about this before, I know, but not for a long time. Plus we've gained some new members since then, and, no doubt, it's a good topic for this season.

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

When DS was little, after the first two Christmas's (only GC) we did have to limit the GP a little, only because DS actually got bored with opening presents and 1/2 the time never got a chance to play with 1/2 the things he was given. Now its not so hard, but one of my friends does the following pattern for each GP you can give 4 things, 1 fun, 1 thing to wear, 1 thing he needs, and 1 thing to read. Another friend of mine, whose GP are a bit overboard with the toys, has each child donate x amount of old toys to get the new ones.... 

As a parent, I really loved some of the wooden toys that DS got, some of these I have packed away should I ever have a GC.

What I will say, is my own GP never had many toys at her house, the ones she did have were old and played with hard by all the Grandkids... when she passed every Grandkid asked for one of the toys, ironically all of us asked for a different one... I got the Fisherprice plastic train, its old and beat up but I love it dearly and will never part with it. 

2 people like this

Surprisingly, for as traditional and old-fashioned as I am, I'm very open to any and all options when it comes to gift-giving. Battery-powered, non-battery powered, hands-on type things (constructive, etc), and everything else in-between.

When my kids were little, board games were the thing, and not a year went by where someone or another didn't receive a board game of some kind, and as a fairly large family, we always enjoyed getting together in the evenings or on weekends to play a board game.

Of course, Lego's, Lincoln Logs, and Mechanic (Mechano) sets were all the rave in the 70's (boy toys), whereas drink-and-wet baby dolls, dress-up things, and other girly type gifts were what all the girls were getting back then.

Gift-giving has changed exponentially today, as compared to yesteryear, so I, too, evolved in my ways. Sure does make for easier shopping when one has more of an open-mind to gift-giving. :) 

I told my DD, DsD & DIL that there would be 6 boys getting underwear & a bible if those suggestion lists didn't start happening....when we all stopped laughing the ideas started coming. The girlies were easy this year....boys not so much

1 person likes this

Hubby and I have decided years ago no more puzzles, blocks or toys with many pieces.  The 8 yr old with a toddler brother was a real challenge this year.  I stopped asking for a list years ago because it just wasn't happening anyway.

51 minutes ago, SueSTx said:

Hubby and I have decided years ago no more puzzles, blocks or toys with many pieces.  The 8 yr old with a toddler brother was a real challenge this year.  I stopped asking for a list years ago because it just wasn't happening anyway.

I get this, though I have to say I make an exception for Lego's.  I hate stepping on the things (talk about something that will bring you to your knees), but our DS seriously used to build huge cities in our spare room out of them. It was always interesting to see what he could imagine. 

1 person likes this

I love lego's also and they already have a ton of them scattered over their house.  

When we were kids we played "jacks", step on one of those in the dark of night and you will let out a scream.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, SueSTx said:

When we were kids we played "jacks", step on one of those in the dark of night and you will let out a scream.

Jacks are my favorite toy! I still have my jacks (6th grade champ, thank you very much!) Still....my girlies aren't yet interested. The rule was I had to make sure they were picked up when I was done...and that might be why I still have them, LOL

1 person likes this

One thing I can say for YDD, she's always ready w/ lists of what the kids want. Makes Christmas and birthday shopping so much easier, IMO. Usually, at some point, also, she, ODD and I confer, so as to avoid duplicates.

We only have the one DGS and this is his first Christmas when he can actually participate. Because we knew we would not see him we had an early Christmas for him, compete with tree, ghts and the works plus so many gifts. We discuss gifts throughout the year with DS and xDIL so we got him everything they asked for. Because he has two homes it seems we can never give too much of a good thing.

This year we gave books, some cute clothes, lots of books, a handcrafted wood hobby horse, a drive on car, and his own camping stuff so he can go camping with us. He was extatic and wants to sleep in the car! 

Generally we favour wood toys and tried and proven things, DS and xDIL are not into brand names or the latest trends, so we go with classical gifts and books because our family loves to read and it’s never too soon. 

1 person likes this

Meh, I tend to be fairly flexible. There were some hard NO GOs for us in previous years. Barbies were ok, Bratz were not. Have you seen those things? BLECH. (Not a Monsters High fan either, for the same reasons)

No whistles, or I will hunt you down and force feed them to you. Same w/recorders. I'm fine w/drums, etc. Just no high pitched squeaking/squealing noises. Instant migraine for me.

Also, don't give my kids something that is supposed to be put on a shelf and not touched. What the heck is the point of that? Esp young children? If you give a 3 yo a fragile RC car, and it's broken in 10 mins, THAT'S THE REALITY OF GIVING A YOUNG KID AN INAPPROPRIATE TOY. And no, I'm NOT putting it away until they're old enough. Perhaps buying them something age appropriate and saving the fragile RC car idea until they're much older is the smarter option? Same goes with dvds for a preschooler that's rated 12+.

If it's age appropriate, and not on our extremely small 'no' list (Bratz, slime, whistles/recorders, are about it) then I shrug and move on. I mean, I'm fine w/Play Doh, harmonicas, drums, puzzles, etc. Genuinely don't fuss over that. Bratz creep me out and I think are just way inappropriately dressed. Slime is horrific to get out of carpet/furniture (and let's face it, despite insisting it stays in the kitchen, Murphy's Law says it'll make its way onto the couch/carpet/dogs). I'm even good with paint.

1 person likes this

Bratz .. just never could get into them .. and yet loved Monster High (at the time..) never watched the show long enough to get what they were about -- they just had cool accessories and fashion -- I think ..