• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Baking for Christmas (or Hanukkah, etc)

11 posts in this topic

Do/did/would you ever bake for the holidays? A cake, a pie or some cookies? Or??

Also, if you will, do you ever do a "bake off" w/ family and/or friends? Or include kids/GC? Or do you tend to bake by yourself?

Oh yes... I always put together baking for the Holiday Season. I don't enter contests or anything like that, but for my own family, absolutely.

Shortbread, Nanaimo Bars, squares, butter tarts... a must have over the Holidays! :) 

Doing a cookie bake with sister & favorite cousin tomorrow...we are making the family Christmas cookie. I am also making gingerbread people for the gkids to decorate while waiting for the Christmas eve party to start...

1 person likes this

I wasn't going to bake but wound up making cookies today, 3 different kinds- Happy Solstice- Happy Yule, y'all ..

1 person likes this

I have collected some really good recipes over the years, but my kids are all on a diet and I promised just one...they both chose my peanut pattie.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, SueSTx said:

I have collected some really good recipes over the years, but my kids are all on a diet and I promised just one...they both chose my peanut pattie.

Yum! It still sounds good, Sue!

Ooooo... You're making me hungry, ladies!

For years, when my girls were growing up, I/we baked brownies for Christmas, sometimes the "golden" kind. Once they were older and out of the house, I began alternating - the brownies one year, store-bought treats (Christmas cookies) or whatever, the next. Sometimes, I baked a pie for Christmas dinner, over the years, but other times I bought it - no set tradition there. But now, dear SnIL does so much baking (we go to his and ODD's house on Xmas Eve) that anything I do seems "redundant," LOL! Some years, I'll bake something during the season, just for DH and me (and the granddolls or whoever comes over during vacation, etc.). But I haven't done any baking specifically for Xmas in a long time. :)

ETA: This year, I might try Sue's Peanut Pattie, again, just for our house.

Edited by RoseRed135

Times have changed, people in general are more watchful about what they do eat even if they are not "dieting".  I have sent cookies to the local "coffee" drinkers for decades.  They last longer and longer, so even the older men are not eating as many sweets as they used too.

I quite making pies years ago because my daughters are so much better than mine and I can send them back home with her.

This year we selected/made 4 sorts of cookies (always Italian Baby Kisses), Christmas fruit cake, some fruit/nut breads. We bake Italian panettone for Christmas breakfast. We bake/freeze most everything early November. Now all we have left to cook is fudge.

We do have dessert after meals. Most of our grands, AC, and my husband love sweets/desserts, even just fruit sauces or fruit muffins. I like tiny bites/slivers of sweets with coffee. Not just on holidays.   :)

ETA: We make delicious fudge the easy way. Now just need to travel/arrive in new snow.

Fudge   (on Kraft site it's called Fantasy Fudge)

6 cups sugar

3 sticks butter or margarine
  1 1/3 cup evaporated milk

Bring to a boil, stir constantly while low rolling boiling for 5-6 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in ingredients below.

24 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
14 oz marshmallow cream
1 1/2 cup chopped unsalted cashews or pecans

Butter two 9x13 casseroles, dump hot mixture into casseroles.

Cool on counter (not in fridge) and slice as you prefer. 

Edited by JanelleK
1 person likes this

I make Banana Nut bread year around.  It is hubby's favorite.

Even when dieting, I allow myself a tiny sliver or two with my cocoa in the middle of the afternoon.  It helps prevent "cheating" so I might as well include it on my plan.  I gave up soda, but I have to have a smidge of chocolate.

Edited by SueSTx

I also do banana bread all year...It's actually the old "A to Z Bread" recipe that started in the 70s...still the best. you can use 2 cups of whatever fruits/veggies that have gone 'tired' in the fridge or all the zucchini in the garden! My recipe makes either 2 loaves or 24 standard muffins...the muffins freeze wonderfully.

I'm making DH's prize winning fudge for a NYE party, hosted by a dear friend who loved DH's fudge...