• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
BalloonPants

Cloth Diapers vs Disposable Diapers

36 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ImpishMom said:

We never did cloth, for a multitude of reasons.

One, although it's generally considered cheaper in the long run, it's an expensive (at least on my budget) outlay upfront. Two, I have no illusions about my laundry organizing abilities. Kid would end up wearing a towel on a fairly regular basis, due to forgetting stuff in the washer.

Oh, and a 3rd reason w/the younger two: I'm functionally one armed. The reality of hauling heavy diaper pails, etc made it a no go for me, and Wolf flat refused to deal with cloth.

You make many-a great point, IM.

I've never judged anyone on what they used or didn't use, but one thing is for certain, diapers, aren't a short phase, so aside from taking care of baby, mom has to be happy with her decision also.

Gosh, yes, I remember muscling the plastic diaper pail down and up the basement stairs, especially when I had two in diapers. I always used two diapers on everyone's bottom when changing them, which equated to some sixteen to twenty diapers (per baby, per day), which had a way of adding up quickly. Washing every other day meant toting a diaper pail with some 70-80 soaking wet diapers inside. My poor back and stomach.

Then there were the times I'd have to dart outside to pluck a couple of diapers along with a pair of rubber pants off the line at change-time, because supplies in the home were depleted, and even with two (good) working arms, pin-fastening a diaper on a kid who was bent to fight his or her way through a pants-change made for challenging times.

ROFL, Re: the towel diapers that might have happened in your home! :) 

4 hours ago, Mame925 said:

I've gagged over the contents of disposable diapers....What have they been feeding you?!?!?!? The poop (on a 2yo) was kelly green...turns out it was a blue raspberry slurppie. I usually had the kids toss their own dirty diapers (if they could walk) "Where does the dirty diaper go?" 'IN THE TRASH" so I'd hand it to them and they would take it to the can...sometimes the outside can.

Goodness, me... I remember when a kid would do a number in their pants (diapers), and out the legs of the diaper it would run, and straight into their rubber pants! Pulling those rubber pants down and off to get at the diaper would spread the mess from diaper-area down to feet!

I recall many diaper changes that took place in the bathroom with said kid standing up inside the bathtub! Rubber pants (with diaper inside) dropped, kid bathed from waist-down, and then and only then could a fresh diaper and pair of rubber pants be applied.

And then when daytime training was mastered, diapers and rubber pants continued to hang from the wash-line, because nighttime training always took longer, at least in out house it did. :) 

Yuppers... my kids, too, experienced walking their own dirty diapers down the hall to the bathroom where the diaper pail sat, when a little tough-love was needed.

Anyone remember the pink/purple stained rubber pants that would happen?

How about tearing through rubber pants with your long fingernails?

Or cutting them with your sharp wedding rings?

I've done both in my day!

One thing I remember from changing grands in disposables, they never held wetness and messes in as well as cloth diapers with rubber panties.

Another thing I remember not only from changing my grandkids who wore cloth diapers, but changing my own kids, was how well rubber pants held-in diaper odour when someone did a dirty.

RoseRed135. As a mother that used rubber pants over disposable diapers when diapering your children, I'm curious to know if you, too, remember less diaper odour from the disposables when using rubber pants over?

A stinky butt is a stinky butt....change it. Never thought about the smell, if it was a gagger...just change it and move one...

1 hour ago, Mame925 said:

A stinky butt is a stinky butt....change it. Never thought about the smell, if it was a gagger...just change it and move one...

There's no arguing that! LOL!

7 hours ago, BalloonPants said:

RoseRed135. As a mother that used rubber pants over disposable diapers when diapering your children, I'm curious to know if you, too, remember less diaper odour from the disposables when using rubber pants over?

I never thought about it either! :lol:

1 hour ago, Mame925 said:

Had we had cloth diapers like today, I would have at least given it some serious thought to use cloth vs. disposable with my kids.

Son and xdil had these neat little cloth liners with covers that snapped instead of pinned. They were adjustable to grow with baby. Comes in the most adorable patterns and colors. I dont think I could have beared to cloth diaper my own with the old school diapers, pins, and rubber pants.

One day DS made the remark that he just couldnt stand the "distinct smell" that using disposables put off when mixed with urine especially. I never really paid attention until one day he had a disposable on GS for a specific reason. And let me just say it hit me in the face right then the odor he meant. 

One thing though, Ive never really seen how cloth is more cost effective by the time you factor in electricity, detergent and water if you have to pay a water bill, even in longterm use. Of course this is going by xdil dirctions on how to clean cloth diapers. Only use x (expensive brand name) detergent as it may ruin absorbancy in the liners. Rinse in hot water, wash in hot water, rinse 2 more times to make sure detergent was out. Then dry in an electric dryer, not line dry as it makes diapers too crisp to wear.  This whole process was done about every two days.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, Weesheart75 said:

Had we had cloth diapers like today, I would have at least given it some serious thought to use cloth vs. disposable with my kids.

Son and xdil had these neat little cloth liners with covers that snapped instead of pinned. They were adjustable to grow with baby. Comes in the most adorable patterns and colors. I dont think I could have beared to cloth diaper my own with the old school diapers, pins, and rubber pants.

One day DS made the remark that he just couldnt stand the "distinct smell" that using disposables put off when mixed with urine especially. I never really paid attention until one day he had a disposable on GS for a specific reason. And let me just say it hit me in the face right then the odor he meant. 

One thing though, Ive never really seen how cloth is more cost effective by the time you factor in electricity, detergent and water if you have to pay a water bill, even in longterm use. Of course this is going by xdil dirctions on how to clean cloth diapers. Only use x (expensive brand name) detergent as it may ruin absorbancy in the liners. Rinse in hot water, wash in hot water, rinse 2 more times to make sure detergent was out. Then dry in an electric dryer, not line dry as it makes diapers too crisp to wear.  This whole process was done about every two days.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

I can't tell you how many times I've had conversation with mothers about cloth diapers, and how a few flat-out refused to use the old-fashioned style. Definitely think cloth diapers have come a long way from back in the day, but there's still something about the old-fashioned style that wins me over, even after all these years. So simplistic and versatile.

Yes, I remember the off smell that disposables produced (so bad compared to cloth). I used to use rubber pants over the grands disposable diapers for that reason.

As for the laundering routine your X-DIL followed, I never ever laundered diapers like she did, and absolutely, washing diapers utilizing multiple rinse and wash cycles not only would add up to copious amounts of water used, but also needless wear-and-tear on ones washing machine.

Typically, I'd empty-out the diaper pail into the washing machine on diaper-wash day, select the hot water cycle, add detergent to the load, and start the wash. When done, diapers were set-out on the outdoor wash-line. As for detergent buildup, once a month I'd add a cup-full of regular household vinegar to the final wash cycle, which not only flushed any excess buildup of detergent from the diapers, but as well, balanced the pH in the fabric, helping to prevent diaper rash. 

As for stiff line-dried diapers, there were several ways I knew of that helped prevent such from happening, one being, never dry diapers in the heat of the day. Hang diapers early in the morning or early in the evening, and on hot days, double-up the diapers when hanging. By hanging two diapers together at a time, drying times are slowed, which helps prevent rapid drying leading to stiffness in the fabric.

Two other ways one can prevent stiff diapers, is taking them down off the line early (while still slightly damp), and finishing the drying process in the electric tumble dryer, which took no more than 3-4 minutes in my tumbler, and the other option is to toss diapers into the electric tumble dryer for 3-4 minutes (fresh out of the washing machine), and then hang them on the line to dry. I don't know what it was about a quick 3-4 minutes in the electric tumbler before hanging that equated to diapers coming down off the line softer, but boy did that trick ever work well!

My kids never wore stiff, cardboard like diapers. Diapers, when I did them always ended up buttery soft. Another mistake mom make when drying diapers in an electric tumble dryer is over-drying. Over-drying damages cotton fibers, leading to permanent stiffness in fabric.

The last trick I remember doing, was tossing dry, stiff diapers into the electric tumble dryer with a damp bath towel for 1-2 minutes. Diapers came out as soft as can be!

Edited by BalloonPants