• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

What's your favorite part of the holiday season?

12 posts in this topic

Perhaps you delight in decorating your home for Christmas, Hanukkah and/or Kwanzaa. Or maybe you love how cheerful people can be at this time of year and the warm greetings they give.  Or maybe your favorite moment is when the gift-giving is over, the company is gone, etc. and you can just curl up w/ a hot cup of cocoa. Or??

In short, what's your favorite part of the holiday season?

Edited by RoseRed135

Generally, I love the Holiday Season, but I do find the increase in traffic, both vehicle and people behind shopping carts, to be stressful, not to mention, the lead-up to the Holiday Season always seems so chaotic.

In many ways, the Holiday Season reminds me of my own childhood, where I remember enjoying the festive atmosphere... the music and songs, the company, getting together with friends to show and tell all of your new gifts, and so on, but somehow the older I get, the magic just doesn't seem to be there anymore.

For me the highlight of the Holiday Season, is Christmas Day dinner, after that Christmas can go away, and once the New Year has passed, I'm always relieved to see Christmas done and over with for another year, not to sound like a Grinch, but.

I will agree, decorating for the occasion does make for a happy, warm time, and I do enjoy visiting or having visitors drop-by, by towards the end I can honestly say, I grow tired of all the cleanup associated with company. The dishes, the entertaining, even making sure one has (on-hand) enough cold-cuts and things to set-out as snacks for those dropping-by.

It's a busy time for even those like DH and I, who don't (at all) go overboard on entertaining and such. Always a relief to see it all come to a close.

I've listened to a little bit of Christmas music...and enjoyed it (who doesn't enjoy Glenn Miller Orchestra, they do Christmas music very well)

I watched A Charlie Brown Christmas & The Grinch Who Stole Christmas last night...double feature....always makes me smile.

Doing the cookie bake today with my sister...the family date cookie & gingerbread people....don't know what she's making.

Also on my schedule this week...took sisIL for eye surgery yesterday...that 5 hour period of unavoidable delay let me work on the last mermaid afghan uninterrupted...I got so much done...heater guy is coming Thurs morning to install a new thermostat, gyno appt in the afternoon...Fri I'm on a panel for a local charter high school English class whose students are defending a literary analysis...no clue what I'm doing, but a friend is the teacher...she asked, I said yes...and in the afternoon the handyman is returning to install a cabinet insert & knife tray...In between I'll wrap presents. I am still doing at least one thing on my organizational plan every day, no matter what. 

1 person likes this

Hallmark Christmas movies, Christmas episodes of some of my favorite tv shows, things calm down considerably at work for me, which means that I have a lot of down time to breathe in prep for the landslide that starts in January. Spending time with DH and our girls, with my mom and my grandmother, with my SIL and BIL and their family. I'm sort of dreading seeing my one brother and his family at Christmas and feeding the NPD FIL's every whim but those are manageable. Gingerbread house building this Friday with the grandmothers minus my oldest who is with her BF's family in Florida for a few days for Christmas. I think that's the hardest part of them growing up, knowing that I won't always have them with us on holidays. But she'll be home for Christmas, so yay! And she's having a good time, so double yay!

2 people like this

Just now, BlueEyedGirl said:

Hallmark Christmas movies, Christmas episodes of some of my favorite tv shows, things calm down considerably at work for me, which means that I have a lot of down time to breathe in prep for the landslide that starts in January. Spending time with DH and our girls, with my mom and my grandmother, with my SIL and BIL and their family. I'm sort of dreading seeing my one brother and his family at Christmas and feeding the NPD FIL's every whim but those are manageable. Gingerbread house building this Friday with the grandmothers minus my oldest who is with her BF's family in Florida for a few days for Christmas. I think that's the hardest part of them growing up, knowing that I won't always have them with us on holidays. But she'll be home for Christmas, so yay! And she's having a good time, so double yay!

Love, love, love gingerbread houses! Always been infatuated with them from the time I was a kid!

1 person likes this

I love that we're approaching the longest day of the year, which to me means that it will soon be Spring once again- I love decorating and enjoying it once up- Much of it looks retro but isn't, appreciate sharing it's beauty with loved ones- Watched Little Women the other day, have encountered many friendly strangers, grateful that carols and holiday music aren't being overplayed- I find keeping it simple keeps it real and fun without breaking the bank- Love this holiday season as it approaches and once it's over -- although I usually am in no rush to un-decorate- I put the indoor stuff away first but keep the outdoor stuff up longer because the snowiest/bitter cold months here are January and February and the lights lift the spirits- Many people in our region keep them lit during these two months- And being outdoors in it is equally as important as snuggling up, learning something new about those we love, wearing crazy colored layers of clothes, freeze buckets of water to make candle luminaries, go hiking in the woods on really quiet, snowy evenings-

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

I love that we're approaching the longest day of the year, which to me means that it will soon be Spring once again- I love decorating and enjoying it once up- Much of it looks retro but isn't, appreciate sharing it's beauty with loved ones- Watched Little Women the other day, have encountered many friendly strangers, grateful that carols and holiday music aren't being overplayed- I find keeping it simple keeps it real and fun without breaking the bank- Love this holiday season as it approaches and once it's over -- although I usually am in no rush to un-decorate- I put the indoor stuff away first but keep the outdoor stuff up longer because the snowiest/bitter cold months here are January and February and the lights lift the spirits- Many people in our region keep them lit during these two months- And being outdoors in it is equally as important as snuggling up, learning something new about those we love, wearing crazy colored layers of clothes, freeze buckets of water to make candle luminaries, go hiking in the woods on really quiet, snowy evenings-

Springtime can't happen fast enough for me! :)

I find by the first or second week in January, I start suffering from cabin fever, and if the sun doesn't peek-out every now and then, the old SAD kicks in full-swing. I do a lot of gardening and puttering from Spring till Fall, so for me that's my out from the busy and hectic world.

I'm able to loose myself when I'm outside doing this and that, often not even hearing a vehicle pass or any other sound other than my little hand-trowel working the soil as I pluck and pick.

Decorating the Christmas tree with my children.  I have ornaments from my Mother, my Mother in Law and ornaments that I have bought for the children every year.  I unwrap the ornaments and they hang them.  They want me to tell the stories over every year, and I do.  Ornaments that my Mom got at the church bazaar, ornaments that my Mother in Law hand made when she was sick and in bed one year.  Cute ornaments of the dogs we have had, the old, old glass balls, they have to be 55 years old or maybe even older.  This year we will be adding Tennessee ornaments to commemorate our trip to see the Solar Eclipse and to tour Knoxville and look at houses for my retirement move.

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, FreeGirl said:

Decorating the Christmas tree with my children.  I have ornaments from my Mother, my Mother in Law and ornaments that I have bought for the children every year.  I unwrap the ornaments and they hang them.  They want me to tell the stories over every year, and I do.  Ornaments that my Mom got at the church bazaar, ornaments that my Mother in Law hand made when she was sick and in bed one year.  Cute ornaments of the dogs we have had, the old, old glass balls, they have to be 55 years old or maybe even older.  This year we will be adding Tennessee ornaments to commemorate our trip to see the Solar Eclipse and to tour Knoxville and look at houses for my retirement move.

Oh, there's just nothing better than the old vintage mercury glass ornaments of the past. They are (hands-down) my favourite! The colours are so vibrant and rich.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, BalloonPants said:

Oh, there's just nothing better than the old vintage mercury glass ornaments of the past. They are (hands-down) my favourite! The colours are so vibrant and rich.

I think my grandparents had some of these. They are beautiful.

1 person likes this

The whole family being together

1 person likes this

Decorating my house always uplifts me. Finding that gift for someone you know they will enjoy and watching them open it.  I love gift giving.  This year will be my first(he is 35) when DS2 will not be home in Christmas Eve,  but he and his DW  will here New Year's Day.