• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Got a Scrooge or a Grinch in your holiday?... some triggers...

14 posts in this topic

Is there a Scrooge/Grinch in your Christmas (or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa, etc.)? If so, please feel free to sound off about them here! Or hey, if you think it's you, :) please tell us why. And either way, please let us know how you deal...

Edited by RoseRed135
title

DD was a Grinch as a child.  She still is.  After opening all her gifts (even if she had received everything on her list) she'd ask..."Is this all?"  My thought..."Well yeah, there are no more gifts are there?"

It's hard to have the Christmas spirit when you have one of those.  She still says she hates Christmas because it's just too much.  She has always hated anything that messes with her "schedule".

Edited by SueSTx

It can be ME...DH was such an Elf....he loved Christmas. So, in order to not dampen his enthusiasm, I had to sort of 'fake it 'til I make it'  a lot....I enjoy making Christmas cookies, looking at all the decorations and seeing the tree with gifts piles all around....

Now I just go with the flow of the kids' celebrations, even if it's at my house....

Yep - the last few - it has been me - hate the fakeness

My nephew has always caused drama at my parents Christmas party. My parents cut him off last year and forbid him from coming to their home. My sister/BIL has been raising his 3 children for over 5 years and adopted them this year. Yesterday he called my niece and said he was going to show up at my parents Christmas party and kill his mother. This is probably diarrhea mouth on his part but I suspect many people will be packing this year because of the threat. I know I will. 

Edited by RoseRed135
to remove trigger note since I added one to title

Oddly enough, people seem to be in a good spirits this year, family, friends, neighbors and strangers -- it ain't over .. yet .. :)

1 person likes this

Thank heavens, no... no Scrooge or Grinch in sight, but if I were to catch a Grinch, I'd spank him soundly and send him on his way, and as for a Scrooge, I'd make him sit in the corner all by himself. :) 

Edited by BalloonPants
1 person likes this

13 hours ago, LimberlostGirl said:

My nephew has always caused drama at my parents Christmas party. My parents cut him off last year and forbid him from coming to their home. My sister/BIL has been raising his 3 children for over 5 years and adopted them this year. Yesterday he called my niece and said he was going to show up at my parents Christmas party and kill his mother. This is probably diarrhea mouth on his part but I suspect many people will be packing this year because of the threat. I know I will. 

OMG, LLG! How horrible! I hope you're right and that it's just "diarrhea mouth" on your nephew's part.

Clearly, he has a more negative history than just causing "drama," as unpleasant as that is. Otherwise, your sister/his mother and BIL/his dad wouldn't have adopted his kids. A sad story, no doubt. But kudos to sis and BIL for stepping up!

Edited by RoseRed135

I guess this year it's me. This has been a horrible last six months , full of death and destruction.   I am putting on a happy face, but its hard. 2017 can't end soon enough.

30 minutes ago, nonna23 said:

I guess this year it's me. This has been a horrible last six months , full of death and destruction.   I am putting on a happy face, but its hard. 2017 can't end soon enough.

Oh, nonna, I'm so deeply sorry. At least some of these tragic events must be due to the hurricanes, no doubt. IMO, it would be ok to keep things low key this year. But that's between you and your family, of course, (((Hugs!)))

2 people like this

We are striving for normalcy,  but my uncle passed quite unexpectedly last week.  Harvey's impact is still very evident in my small community.  I am missing my BFF and Christmas will be the 3 month anniversary of her passing. My DS2 won't be home on Christmas Eve for the first time ever.   But for my DGD2, I am striving to keep up the Holiday fun for her.   The older grands (19 and 16) understand.

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, nonna23 said:

We are striving for normalcy,  but my uncle passed quite unexpectedly last week.  Harvey's impact is still very evident in my small community.  I am missing my BFF and Christmas will be the 3 month anniversary of her passing. My DS2 won't be home on Christmas Eve for the first time ever.   But for my DGD2, I am striving to keep up the Holiday fun for her.   The older grands (19 and 16) understand.

Well then, there's heartache in your Christmas, nonna, and again, I'm deeply sorry. But it looks like there's a lot of love, as well, so I hope that will see you all through.

Bless you for keeping things fun for DGD2!  And, TG, the other GC understand!

4 minutes ago, RoseRed135 said:

Well then, there's heartache in your Christmas, nonna, and again, I'm deeply sorry. But it looks like there's a lot of love, as well, so I hope that will see you all through.

Bless you for keeping things fun for DGD2!  And, TG, the other GC understand!

Thank you. I'm trying to remember the goodness people showed to each other during and after the storm: Guys who used their bass boats to rescue people trapped in their homes, the Cajun Navy, all who donated supplies, who feed us. Those who opened their homes to us, those who donated Christmas presents to my community's children,  some of whom are living in tents, or  crammed in three families in one home...  

12 hours ago, nonna23 said:

Thank you. I'm trying to remember the goodness people showed to each other during and after the storm: Guys who used their bass boats to rescue people trapped in their homes, the Cajun Navy, all who donated supplies, who feed us. Those who opened their homes to us, those who donated Christmas presents to my community's children,  some of whom are living in tents, or  crammed in three families in one home...  

Wow.