• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Christmas without grandchildren

7 posts in this topic

If you won't be seeing/contacting one (or more) of your AC (adult children) and/or GC (grandchildren) during the holidays, how do you cope? Ignore the holiday/act as if it's "just another day?" Celebrate alone (light those candles or put up that tree)? Get together w/ friends or other family? Travel somewhere you've always wanted to go? Volunteer? Or??

Edited by RoseRed135
to remove bolding - it was unintentional

Not seeing the kids due to logistics is one thing...Not seeing them because someone has their shorts in a knot is another....

3 people like this

1st year in my whole life I won't have some form of contact with a family member.

I am treating it as just another day, I do not have any christmas decos up and am not celebrating it in any way whatsoever

48 minutes ago, AlfieG said:

1st year in my whole life I won't have some form of contact with a family member.

I am treating it as just another day, I do not have any christmas decos up and am not celebrating it in any way whatsoever

Come to the movies with me....

There have been a couple of years we had no family member here on a holiday.  We have gone out to eat and also a time or two we stayed in and had beans and cornbread.

This year we are getting together on Saturday afternoon and hubby and I will have a steak and baked potato for Christmas and probably take the tree down and move the furniture back in place.

2 hours ago, SueSTx said:

There have been a couple of years we had no family member here on a holiday. 

I think that's as normal as rain. Think of all the years that people have kids under 2 and don't take them out of the house because of napping/nursing schedules. We have 3 kids with 5 kiddies under 2 this Christmas. We won't be seeing them, same as when we were parents with babies.

Or sickness. Or off with the other family. Or one million other reasons Christmas alone perfectly logical.

2 people like this

My two never spent Christmas Day anywhere but here at home.  They are raising theirs the same way.  I was invited once, and turned down the invitation because her family was going to be there and see them far less than we do.  The "day" isn't all that important to us anyway.  We always try to make any day we get to spend together special.

I think for most families with children who do choose to travel for Christmas, it is not unusual for them to rotate holidays especially if some are out of town.

1 person likes this