• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

If you're going to be alone...

2 posts in this topic

... on Christmas (or found yourself alone for Hanukkah), etc., and maybe lonely, sending you lots of (((hugs!)))

Meanwhile, I hope you're able to find some ways to enjoy yourself - perhaps things you couldn't do if you were w/ other people. I hope, for example, and as cliche as it may sound, you get to "curl up w/ a good book" and read for hours, if that's your pleasure. Or have a "movie marathon" and watch DVDs for hours, whether old favorites or new. Or switch off between books & movies, if you wish. And through it all, play any music you love - doesn't "have to" be holiday-related. Or just enjoy the quiet and, perhaps, catch up on sleep (some people, apparently, love being alone on the actual holiday for these very reasons).

If you're simply alone b/c of distance, I hope you get to videochat or FT, etc. w/ your far away loved ones on the Day or close to it. Or if you're seeing family on an alternate day after the actual holiday, I hope you make good use of having the extra time to prepare.Or hey, if you saw them just before the holiday, I hope you're enjoying the gifts you received. If none of these are the case, :sad: I hope you can get in touch w/ other family and/or friends. Or that you have plans w/ other family/friends to look forward to at some point during the season.

Or if you'd like to get out of the house, say, on Xmas day, I hope you get to enjoy a nice, long, leisurely walk. Or maybe do some volunteering if that idea appeals to you (some posters, over the years, have said it fills the void; others, not so much). If you're traveling alone, I hope you meet some friendly fellow voyageurs and/or get to bask in the sun, revel in skiing or whatever your pleasure is. :)

Regardless, even if you still have some unhappy moments or can't find anything to truly enjoy, please know that many member here are supportive of you and  wish you peace. :give_rose:

Edited by RoseRed135
typos and other small errors

Even when the kids were little, our main celebration and family gift exchange was on Christmas Eve/afternoon.  Hubby had to go each and every morning to do farm chores and that "worked" for us.  Funny thing is, the kids tell us that they have continued that tradition on in their own homes so we usually pick the weekend before to do our extended gift exchange.  It works for us.

That leaves us home alone on "the" holiday...so what?  We've already celebrated.  We just make a casual day of it.  Grill a steak, bake a potate had have a favorite dessert the kids don't like.  Then we make an early night of it.  That also works for us.

Other than the kids and grands, we have no FOO members to celebrate with.  Hubby's parents are both gone and mine live between 500 and 700 or more miles away and have extended family of their own to celebrate with.  So Christmas isn't a holiday we have ever spent together for the last nearly 50 years unless my parents came to us and then we did what we always did and they could go back home to spend "the" day with another of my siblings and their family.

Edited by SueSTx
2 people like this