• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Are you worried that your kids/grandkids are "too old" to believe in Santa?

5 posts in this topic

Maybe all your kids knew the truth about Santa Claus by the time they were 5 and you're worried b/c your GD or GS still believes in him at age 10. Or perhaps you clung to the belief till you reached your teens, and you're not sure how to react to your DS or DD who seems eager to know the truth at age 4. Or maybe you're a custodial GP and suddenly faced w/ the question of "when to tell a child about Santa Claus?" - a question you thought the parents would have to handle this time around.

Regardless, if you google "what age is too old to believe in Santa?" you'll see a number of articles on the topic. Some of them point to a specific age by which the author thinks a child should have let go of the idea. But most of them suggest it "doesn't really matter." Then again, in almost the same breath, some of those say it would be odd for, say, a 16-yr-old or even a 14-yr-old to still believe (barring certain mental and emotional disabilities, of course).

What do you think? In your opinion, are any of your kids/GC holding/did any of your kids/GC hold on to the Santa myth "too long?" Or are they giving it up/did they give it up "too soon?" Or do you feel, perhaps, that their parents/GPs/other relatives let the cat out of the bag "too early?" Or??

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

My granddaughter is 12 years old so she hasn’t believed for a while already 

I remember my kids hanging onto the Santa belief until age 5 or 6, and much the same went for the grands.

I remember with my own baby siblings, having to pretend (for their sake) that Santa was real, and as each sibling grew old enough to know the truth, my mom and I, would have quiet chats with the older ones to keep the Santa secret alive for the little ones. It was always a battle. :)

When the horror of discovery that Santa isn't real I told the kids that Santa lives in your holiday heart in the form of sharing & giving along with grateful receiving....Harder for some than others to put into practice.

Even when my two were preschoolers, I told them that there were so many people in the world that besides the Elves, Santa had to have even more helpers.  That the "story" of him flying all across the world in one single night was just that a "story" and he needed more and more helpers as there became more and more people in the word.

Just like in the little Golden Books and the little Christmas songs the kids learned when little, each child only got one toy from Santa and they did actually have to be "good" all year to get that (just the week before Christmas didn't count).  Sometime grandparents were helpers, sometimes parents, sometimes even bigger brothers and sisters and even the man next door could be a Santa's helper, so you better be good all the time not just in front of Mom and Dad.  

Of course my kids did get more than one gift at Christmas, but they knew they were from us or their grands or Uncles.  Everything was not from Santa, therefore when they knew it was just a "story" they weren't afraid Christmas was a thing of the past.  Actually "Santa" filled their stockings until they were no longer here on Christmas morning.  Once they had a home of their own and no "kids" lived here anymore...Santa quit coming.

From there, it was easy to go the next step and say of course the helpers can even buy gifts and see that they are delivered.  When they asked why the boys across the street got three or four toys from Santa and they only ever got one, I said they must have more helpers.  Later as teens, I even told them Santa had the parents credit card number and he wasn't allowed to charge more then they could afford.

How does everybody else explain why some kids get oddles and gobs and others get a single dime store toy?