• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

The "NEW" All About Potty Training

4 posts in this topic

A member asked if we could continue my old "All About Potty Training" thread. But I decided to open a new one instead, basically asking the same questions...

What age do you think is the best to begin potty training? And what's the best method? Is there any value to letting daycare workers or preschool teachers help w/ this job?

Please feel free to share your favorite tips here b/c they may help some parent or GP caregiver who is reading this and dealing w/ just this topic.

Also, if you're struggling w/ a child's potty training, at the moment, please feel free to ask any questions you have below...

Edited by RoseRed135
to add tags
1 person likes this

With my own children, I waited until they started showing signs of readiness... such as dry diapers in the morning, pulling at their pants when they had to go (or had an accident), or asking to be changed. Dry diapers in the morning for a period of several days was always grounds for me to start training.

Diapers were shed and cotton training pants applied, then potty-time began. Checking, asking, reminding (was my game), as was racing my kids off to the bathroom when the time would arise. We won some... lost some, too (many in fact), but with each successful trip to the bathroom, came cheers.

I worked on a strike-3 method. Strike-one, pants were changed and all was forgotten. Stroke-two, pants were changed and child was reminded of the fact that big girl/boy pants were running low, and diapers would be put back on again if another accident resulted. I always followed through with the diaper promise on strike-three.

When daytime training was mastered, I'd make my kids a deal. Wake up wet in the morning (nighttime diapers), and you'll be back in diapers again (like a baby) the following night, wake up dry in the morning, you get to wear big girl/boy pants... no more diapers for babies.

I also remember allowing my kids to decide what they wanted to wear in the very beginning (nighttime). In one hand I'd hold up a pair of cotton training pants, and in the other hand, a pair of rubber pants (rubber pants meant diapers), then I'd ask them, do you want to wear big girl/boy pants, or do you want to wear diapers like a baby?

While I was understanding and reasonably forgiving, two of my children were made to take their own wet and messy pants down to the bathroom and put them in the diaper pail (after I changed them), and one kid was made to rinse-out his own dirty pants in the toilet, and yes, I did hand-down a few spankings (with all) for careless accidents, outright laziness, or defiance.

As the saying goes, not one of my kids went to kindergarten wearing diapers. :) 

Do also remember diapering my children's stuffies (teddy bears) the same time I diapered my DK's bottoms for the night. I remember what a big fuss I'd make in the morning when I'd go in to change them.

I started with the teddy bear first, unpinning the diaper (just like I did when changing a real baby), then I'd open up the diaper gingerly and say, "oh-oh, teddy has been bad, he's wet or dirty", then I'd direct my attention to the child and I'd say to them (while reaching for their rubber pants), "hopefully you've been good and have dry and clean pants, not like teddy who is wet and stinky".

I like to think (in my children's minds), presenting clean and dry pants for mommy in the morning was good, and in turn, helped make them more apt to trying harder to keep their pants dry and clean.

Ladies, while we're on this topic, what potty did everyone use in their homes back in the day?

The old-fashioned wooden ones, or the more modern plastic version?

1 person likes this