• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Laura62

Walking vs driving

109 posts in this topic

My rule of thumb is that if it’s less than a thirty minute walk, I won’t drive. I work 20 minutes from my house so I always walk to work, even in the dead of winter.

3 people like this

We live 15 MILES from milk and bread.  I walk for exercise when my body allows it (right now I have an issue with my back). 

How cold is your winter?  We got up to 15*F today.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, SueSTx said:

We live 15 MILES from milk and bread.  I walk for exercise when my body allows it (right now I have an issue with my back). 

How cold is your winter?  We got up to 15*F today.

Sounds like you live somewhere rural, I live in the suburbs so everything is pretty close. Right now it feels like 10F outside, I still walk I just bundle up in a ridiculous amount of layers.

1 person likes this

We're Canucks, so were tough (used to frigid temps), and as far as walking goes, unless we're in and around the -25°C area (or colder), walking is still an option, though proper bundling of exposed skin is absolutely necessary.

1 person likes this

To add to my last reply, what makes walking (for us) particularly dangerous for us is the ice. With the frigid temps wee see, there's always ice, bad ice, and both DH and I have taken spills in the past resulting in injuries, so we tend to use caution this time of year when it comes to walking.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

We're Canucks, so were tough (used to frigid temps), and as far as walking goes, unless we're in and around the -25°C area (or colder), walking is still an option, though proper bundling of exposed skin is absolutely necessary.

It rarely gets that cold over here, but I also cover up all skin just like you. When I go outside the only part of me exposed to the cold are my eyes.

1 person likes this

What a scatter-brain I am today! LOL!

Adding more to my original two posts.

As for deciding how far is too far to walk, we don't really have such established distance that guides us, as we sort of wing-it when it comes to walking. As it stands, we're approx., a 20 min walk to the nearest corner store, and I love walking to and from and do it on a regular basis, but have been known to make the 50 min walk to my SIL's house (and back again) when weather permits.

Now, in my younger years I walked miles upon miles... walked absolutely everywhere.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

To add to my last reply, what makes walking (for us) particularly dangerous for us is the ice. With the frigid temps wee see, there's always ice, bad ice, and both DH and I have taken spills in the past resulting in injuries, so we tend to use caution this time of year when it comes to walking.

Slipping is always a danger, although if I fell all the layers of down I’m wearing would soften my fall!

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

It rarely gets that cold over here, but I also cover up all skin just like you. When I go outside the only part of me exposed to the cold are my eyes.

Absolutely, dressing for the occasion is an absolute must do situation for those lower temps. We always know it's a little too cold to be outside when your eyes start sticking due to the tears and moisture freezing them open or closed. 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Laura62 said:

Slipping is always a danger, although if I fell all the layers of down I’m wearing would soften my fall!

LOL! DH was outside sweeping the front steps one year, and took a slip and fall. He said he fell as gracefully as one could fall, promptly picking himself up again and carrying-on, but two days later her was nearly 100% crippled.

He ended up requiring 8 weeks of physiotherapy to correct the muscle strain and damage.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

LOL! DH was outside sweeping the front steps one year, and took a slip and fall. He said he fell as gracefully as one could fall, promptly picking himself up again and carrying-on, but two days later her was nearly 100% crippled.

He ended up requiring 8 weeks of physiotherapy to correct the muscle strain and damage.

That’s terrible! I haven’t had any bad falls but that’s so scary that you might not even feel it when it happens.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

Absolutely, dressing for the occasion is an absolute must do situation for those lower temps. We always know it's a little too cold to be outside when your eyes start sticking due to the tears and moisture freezing them open or closed. 

I’ve never had something like that happen to my eyes, at that point I would wear ski goggles or just stay inside. My eyes aren’t fully exposed to the cold because I pull my fur lined hoods forward and cinch them down with a scarf so it almost creates a tunnel effect, so at least my eyes are protected from the wind.

1 person likes this

I try to group my errands into one trip...generally by car. Mostly I'm too lazy to walk for all that my town is very very walkable. 

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

I try to group my errands into one trip...generally by car. Mostly I'm too lazy to walk for all that my town is very very walkable. 

You should try walking!

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

That’s terrible! I haven’t had any bad falls but that’s so scary that you might not even feel it when it happens.

It was scary. He didn't suffer so much as a bruise or tenderness after the initial fall, but the physiotherapist told DH that one side of his back looked as though it had erupted, because it was so swollen and strained.

I see some people wearing those shoe or boot grippers, but I really don't know if they're 100% effective. I'm sure they add an additional level of slip-resistance, but I do believe that when conditions are extreme, there's nothing that can truly prevent a person from taking a slip and falling, and I would think those grippers would be slippery on hard surfaces such as ceramic tile and such (i.e., dept store floors, etc).

1 person likes this

48 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

I’ve never had something like that happen to my eyes, at that point I would wear ski goggles or just stay inside. My eyes aren’t fully exposed to the cold because I pull my fur lined hoods forward and cinch them down with a scarf so it almost creates a tunnel effect, so at least my eyes are protected from the wind.

Honestly, Laura, when temps dip-down to eye-freezing conditions, we don't venture out. It's just too painful.

My husband always says, oh, once the temp get's down to anything below -20°C, there's no difference in cold, but I'm not convinced. I can definitely feel a difference in cold between -20°C and -35°C. One year we had -41°C, and that tends to paralyze the entire community.  

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

It was scary. He didn't suffer so much as a bruise or tenderness after the initial fall, but the physiotherapist told DH that one side of his back looked as though it had erupted, because it was so swollen and strained.

I see some people wearing those shoe or boot grippers, but I really don't know if they're 100% effective. I'm sure they add an additional level of slip-resistance, but I do believe that when conditions are extreme, there's nothing that can truly prevent a person from taking a slip and falling, and I would think those grippers would be slippery on hard surfaces such as ceramic tile and such (i.e., dept store floors, etc).

I try to stick to areas that are sanded. Other than that I always wear good quality winter boots, it’s been working for me so far.

2 people like this

27 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

Oh, you live in such a beautiful city, I would walk everywhere. The climate is so inviting.

I love getting lost when walking, figuratively speaking of course, but what I mean is, forgetting about everything. No direction, no time-frame, no nothing, just a walk to wherever your legs and mind take you.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

I try to stick to areas that are sanded. Other than that I always wear good quality winter boots, it’s been working for me so far.

And that really is the trick, good quality footwear with a softer, more pliable tread. I actually got rid of an older pair of winter boots of mine, due to the fact the soles were too hard and acted like skates instead of giving me traction. I don't miss those old boots.

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

Honestly, Laura, when temps dip-down to eye-freezing conditions, we don't venture out. It's just too painful.

My husband always says, oh, once the temp get's down to anything below -20°C, there's no difference in cold, but I'm not convinced. I can definitely feel a difference in cold between -20°C and -35°C. One year we had -41°C, and that tends to paralyze the entire community.  

These temperatures you’re talking about just sound horrible! For me anything below 60F is chilly, and anything under 45F is cold. I don’t think I have enough clothes to keep me warm at -41C!

1 person likes this

I was trying to walk 30 minutes daily in the fall when the temperatures was about 50*F.  After two walks my hip, legs, knees and ankles were so sore I couldn't get out of bed for a couple of mornings.  It simply wasn't worth it.  Now I ride my recumbent bike indoors and can walk to tend to the house.  Much better.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, SueSTx said:

I was trying to walk 30 minutes daily in the fall when the temperatures was about 50*F.  After two walks my hip, legs, knees and ankles were so sore I couldn't get out of bed for a couple of mornings.  It simply wasn't worth it.  Now I ride my recumbent bike indoors and can walk to tend to the house.  Much better.

At least it sounds like you’ve found a way to still stay active, I’ve always walked a lot all my life so it’s easier for me.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

These temperatures you’re talking about just sound horrible! For me anything below 60F is chilly, and anything under 45F is cold. I don’t think I have enough clothes to keep me warm at -41C!

It is horrible. Vehicles don't start, the furnace kicks-in constantly, frost accumulates around the edges of windows, and exterior home door locks freeze stiff. Fortunately, we see only a select few weeks of such temperatures each year. I do poorly in sustained extreme cold and extreme heat.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, SueSTx said:

How about actual bicycling? How I would love to get into bicycling again. I used to bike around all the time.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

It is horrible. Vehicles don't start, the furnace kicks-in constantly, frost accumulates around the edges of windows, and exterior home door locks freeze stiff. Fortunately, we see only a select few weeks of such temperatures each year. I do poorly in sustained extreme cold and extreme heat.

Sometimes I can’t unlock my car because the lock freezes. I don’t think I would be able to live as far north as you, I’m not good at handling the cold. I’m already wearing seven laye s when I go outside, I don’t know what I would do in Canada!

1 person likes this