• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Laura62

Walking vs driving

109 posts in this topic

I'm taking blood thinners, I will not be taking a risk for a bad injury...not worth it.

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

Sometimes I can’t unlock my car because the lock freezes. I don’t think I would be able to live as far north as you, I’m not good at handling the cold. I’m already wearing seven laye s when I go outside, I don’t know what I would do in Canada!

Honestly, Laura, being born and raised in Canada (I believe) makes all the difference in the world. Your body adjusts and acclimatizes to the four-seasons, whereas moving from a more mild place to here, I'm sure would make for quite a shock to many.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, SueSTx said:

I'm taking blood thinners, I will not be taking a risk for a bad injury...not worth it.

Yep, that would do it. :) 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

Honestly, Laura, being born and raised in Canada (I believe) makes all the difference in the world. Your body adjusts and acclimatizes to the four-seasons, whereas moving from a more mild place to here, I'm sure would make for quite a shock to many.

I wouldn’t call New England mild, but I guess compared to Canada it is. Funny thing is most of my outerwear is Canadian.

1 person likes this

Just now, Laura62 said:

I wouldn’t call New England mild, but I guess compared to Canada it is. Funny thing is most of my outerwear is Canadian.

LOL! DH just bought several pairs of sweat pants last year, and what a time we had locating 100% cotton. Anyhow, we finally happened upon a place (in the States) called, Cotton Mill, which carries both US made and Canadian made goods, and all 100% cotton.

We tend to look for all things that are either made here in Canada, the US, or the UK.

1 person likes this

Laura. Do want to say, New England is such a beautiful place.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

Laura. Do want to say, New England is such a beautiful place.

Especially during the fall and spring.

1 person likes this

Just now, Laura62 said:

Especially during the fall and spring.

That's what I heard, fall colours are supposedly dazzling. Fall, is my favourite time of the year. 

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

LOL! DH just bought several pairs of sweat pants last year, and what a time we had locating 100% cotton. Anyhow, we finally happened upon a place (in the States) called, Cotton Mill, which carries both US made and Canadian made goods, and all 100% cotton.

We tend to look for all things that are either made here in Canada, the US, or the UK.

I haven’t heard if cotton mill. I’ve been getting into online shopping, recently bought my granddaughter a Canada Goose Parka.

1 person likes this

Just now, Laura62 said:

I haven’t heard if cotton mill. I’ve been getting into online shopping, recently bought my granddaughter a Canada Goose Parka.

Oh, Laura, if you ever need 100% sweats (pants or top), Cotton Mill definitely deserves your attention. :) 

Oh, my, how I love Canada Goose Parkas! Great choice!

1 person likes this

Laura. Just for kicks, I just checked the name brand of both DH's and my winter-wear, and both are North Face (Made in the US). Go figure. :) 

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

Laura. Just for kicks, I just checked the name brand of both DH's and my winter-wear, and both are North Face (Made in the US). Go figure. :) 

I have lots of gear from the North Face! I have an ankle length North Face winter coat which I wear under my Canada Goose Parka.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

I have lots of gear from the North Face! I have an ankle length North Face winter coat which I wear under my Canada Goose Parka.

It really is nice stuff, isn't it? So well made and stylish.

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

It really is nice stuff, isn't it? So well made and stylish.

Yes it really is! And warm too, I love how I can be covered from head to ankle.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

Yes it really is! And warm too, I love how I can be covered from head to ankle.

For sure... there's a lot to be said for that. I have a full-length overcoat (lightweight spring/early fall version) and I always feel so elegant and stylish wearing it. There's something so dressy about a full-length coat, and in the case of winter-wear, there's something so warm about having a full-length coat. Kidneys, legs, bum, everything stays warm. :) 

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

For sure... there's a lot to be said for that. I have a full-length overcoat (lightweight spring/early fall version) and I always feel so elegant and stylish wearing it. There's something so dressy about a full-length coat, and in the case of winter-wear, there's something so warm about having a full-length coat. Kidneys, legs, bum, everything stays warm. :) 

I agree, long coats are very classy and elegant, and indeed very warm. I also have full length coats that I wear in spring and fall. Honestly I think short coats and jackets don’t look nice at all.

2 people like this

We live too far from anything to walk anywhere, to work, to the store etc- And to get to any store its up and down steep hills in any direction so biking is out- There arent any sidewalks, and ditches on both sides of the road- People walk around here for exercise, and bike but I do not see the same people doing either regularly, say to commute- But down around town, where its "flat", the number of people biking to work is growing fast-

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

I agree, long coats are very classy and elegant, and indeed very warm. I also have full length coats that I wear in spring and fall. Honestly I think short coats and jackets don’t look nice at all.

I've never fancied bomber styled jackets (on me), but car-coats and full-length coats, now you're talking my language. :) 

I have a pear-shaped  figure, so have a bigger bottom, hips, and thighs, so short bomber-style jackets accentuate my bottom, making it look even grander. :) 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Komorebi said:

We live too far from anything to walk anywhere, to work, to the store etc- And to get to any store its up and down steep hills in any direction so biking is out- There arent any sidewalks, and ditches on both sides of the road- People walk around here for exercise, and bike but I do not see the same people doing either regularly, say to commute- But down around town, where its "flat", the number of people biking to work is growing fast-

The thing about bicycling to work, is ones hair. Oh my word, my doo (LOL) would look hideous if I were to strap-on a helmet and bicycle for a stretch. I'd have to wear my helmet all day. ROFLOL!

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

I've never fancied bomber styled jackets (on me), but car-coats and full-length coats, now you're talking my language. :) 

I have a pear-shaped  figure, so have a bigger bottom, hips, and thighs, so short bomber-style jackets accentuate my bottom, making it look even grander. :) 

I have a skinny figure, so short coats do no such thing for me!

1 person likes this

Just now, Laura62 said:

I have a skinny figure, so short coats do no such thing for me!

I always dreamed of having a trimmer figure. :) 

1 person likes this

Just now, BalloonPants said:

I always dreamed of having a trimmer figure. :) 

The down side is that being skinny makes the cold weather even worse! Right now the shortest coat I have is knee length.

1 person likes this

Just now, Laura62 said:

The down side is that being skinny makes the cold weather even worse! Right now the shortest coat I have is knee length.

Awww... I'm always cold, too. :) 

The shortest coat/jacket I have is a spring/summer jacket, which I tend to wear with the waist-cord cinched-up a little, but worn looser, the bottom comes half-way down my behind, otherwise I fall into the same crowd as you Laura, longer is better.

1 person likes this

I look like a guy, I look like a girl .. :) .. Im thin, tall, straight, intimidating, Ive no "shape" .. Mens clothing for winter, womens come summer- I like parkas, bombers, fur lined hoods and hats- Wool sweaters only, wool coats no way, they weigh more than I do! I Like down, its warm, its lightweight- My winter doo? Absolute mess .. enough static to power a traffic light .. :)

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

Awww... I'm always cold, too. :) 

The shortest coat/jacket I have is a spring/summer jacket, which I tend to wear with the waist-cord cinched-up a little, but worn looser, the bottom comes half-way down my behind, otherwise I fall into the same crowd as you Laura, longer is better.

When it comes to spring and summer jackets I prefer waterproof trench coats.

1 person likes this