• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Laura62

Walking vs driving

109 posts in this topic

Hoodies ..

2 people like this

Interesting topic, Laura!

I generally walk 30 minutes 3 X a week, except in really cold temperatures (for me, that means anything below 40, LOL!), Beyond that, whether or not I walk to the store depends on how much time I have and how much I'm buying.

But I realize that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

Laura, I admire your tenacity and spirit! :clapping:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, RoseRed135 said:

Interesting topic, Laura!

I generally walk 30 minutes 3 X a week, except in really cold temperatures (for me, that means anything below 40, LOL!), Beyond that, whether or not I walk to the store depends on how much time I have and how much I'm buying.

But I realize that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

Laura, I admire your tenacity and spirit! :clapping:

Thanks! And believe me I consider below 40 cold too, at that temperature I’m completely bundled up when going outside. And that’s why I like to do daily shopping trips, I never have to carry more than 2 or 3 bags!

2 people like this

I walk my 4000-6000 steps per day as exercise.   Walking anywhere here is nuts. No sidewalks,  ditches,  all businesses on a four lane main street.   No one walks or bikes here,  unless they are a druggy (no lie)  only the "crackheads " don't own a vehicle.   I live in a very car transportation area. No public transit either.

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, nonna23 said:

I walk my 4000-6000 steps per day as exercise.  Kudos! Walking anywhere here is nuts. No sidewalks,  ditches,  all businesses on a four lane main street.   No one walks or bikes here,  unless they are a druggy (no lie)  only the "crackheads " don't own a vehicle.... So it must be hard getting your steps in! Or do you do it in place or just around your home?  I live in a very car transportation area. No public transit either.

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, nonna23 said:

I walk my 4000-6000 steps per day as exercise.   Walking anywhere here is nuts. No sidewalks,  ditches,  all businesses on a four lane main street.   No one walks or bikes here,  unless they are a druggy (no lie)  only the "crackheads " don't own a vehicle.   I live in a very car transportation area. No public transit either.

I assume you use a step counter? I’ve thought about getting one forever but I never get around to it. And wow at least you can identify crackheads! Where is this place?

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Komorebi said:

I look like a guy, I look like a girl .. :) .. Im thin, tall, straight, intimidating, Ive no "shape" .. Mens clothing for winter, womens come summer- I like parkas, bombers, fur lined hoods and hats- Wool sweaters only, wool coats no way, they weigh more than I do! I Like down, its warm, its lightweight- My winter doo? Absolute mess .. enough static to power a traffic light .. :)

ROFLAO!

We tend to be so hard on ourselves at times, or in my case, all the time. I believe finding that comfortable balance between fashion and style, and comfort and fit, is the key.

Kom. You mean you were that kid who could rub the balloon over your hair and stick it to a wall? LOL! Remember doing that?

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Laura62 said:

When it comes to spring and summer jackets I prefer waterproof trench coats.

My favourite, too. Cinch-up the waist-belt, and away you go. So sophisticated looking, though I don't know who I'm talking about, because nothing about me is sophisticated (whatsoever). :) 

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Hoodies ..

Yes, that, or at best, a polar fleece with a collar that you can stand-up to keep your neck warm. Both DH and I have one by far they get worn the most out of all of our apparel. Comfortable, fashionable, easy-care, and warm.

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

My favourite, too. Cinch-up the waist-belt, and away you go. So sophisticated looking, though I don't know who I'm talking about, because nothing about me is sophisticated (whatsoever). :) 

Funny that we’re talking about trench coats, when it feels like 2F outside right now. I still walked to work this morning, it just took me half the morning to get all of my winter gear on.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

Funny that we’re talking about trench coats, when it feels like 2F outside right now. I still walked to work this morning, it just took me half the morning to get all of my winter gear on.

LOL! So true about spending a ridiculous amount of time layering and dressing accordingly this time of the year. I'm thinking back to when my kids were little, and the double socks I would do on them (to help keep their feet warm), plastic bags over their feet before boots went on, when boots were still damp inside from their previous outdoor expedition, sweaters, toques, gloves, snowpants, jackets (zip-up, zip-down, zip-up, zip-down), and that doesn't include those that wore diapers, where you'd no sooner get someone freshly changed and dressed for the occasion, and they'd promptly wet or soil their pants the minute you had them outfitted in full-gear.

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

LOL! So true about spending a ridiculous amount of time layering and dressing accordingly this time of the year. I'm thinking back to when my kids were little, and the double socks I would do on them (to help keep their feet warm), plastic bags over their feet before boots went on, when boots were still damp inside from their previous outdoor expedition, sweaters, toques, gloves, snowpants, jackets (zip-up, zip-down, zip-up, zip-down), and that doesn't include those that wore diapers, where you'd no sooner get someone freshly changed and dressed for the occasion, and they'd promptly wet or soil their pants the minute you had them outfitted in full-gear.

I can definitely relate with you on that! It takes forever to get my granddaughter ready to go to school. Admittedly I’m a bit overprotective of her, so I bundle her up in so many layers that she can barely move when I’m done. The worst is if she has the go to the bathroom after I’m done dressing her, before we get ready to outside I always tell her to go to the bathroom first. 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Laura62 said:

I can definitely relate with you on that! It takes forever to get my granddaughter ready to go to school. Admittedly I’m a bit overprotective of her, so I bundle her up in so many layers that she can barely move when I’m done. The worst is if she has the go to the bathroom after I’m done dressing her, before we get ready to outside I always tell her to go to the bathroom first. 

Oh my goodness, so true. I remember the days, my kids in so many layers, they'd move like mummies wrapped in linen, arms and legs stiff with bulk.

I recall attempting to change a few diapers with jackets and upper-body gear still in place, but quickly learned that stripping the kid fresh down to their didies and starting from scratch, proved to be the better option, especially with the old cloth diapers.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

Oh my goodness, so true. I remember the days, my kids in so many layers, they'd move like mummies wrapped in linen, arms and legs stiff with bulk.

I recall attempting to change a few diapers with jackets and upper-body gear still in place, but quickly learned that stripping the kid fresh down to their didies and starting from scratch, proved to be the better option, especially with the old cloth diapers.

Lol that’s how my granddaughter looks after I dress her. I always tell her that the less she can move the warmer she’ll be!

And it’s impossible for her to go to the bathroom without taking the upper layers off. He snow pants are bib style that go over the shoulders and her parkas and coats all go below her knees, so when nature calls she has to get all of her coats off before she can get to the snow pants.

10 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

Lol that’s how my granddaughter looks after I dress her. I always tell her that the less she can move the warmer she’ll be!

And it’s impossible for her to go to the bathroom without taking the upper layers off. He snow pants are bib style that go over the shoulders and her parkas and coats all go below her knees, so when nature calls she has to get all of her coats off before she can get to the snow pants.

LOL, so true about them being warmer the less they can move!

Yep, the old bib-style snow-pants, and if you're anything like me, you outfitted your kids in long-johns, too, so start adding up all of the layers and you get... underpants, long-johns, outer pants (jeans, sweats, whatever), snow-pants, shirt, sweater or sweatshirt, jacket, so of course, sitting a kid down on the toilet or potty with such a mish-mash of upper-body attire simply doesn't work.

LOL, Laura... Halloween, was another that proved to be challenging when dealing with the "I need to go potty" little ones, or the toddler you just finished changing and lifting down from the bathroom counter-top with freshly applied diaper on, only to dress him or her up in their sweet little costume, and 10 minutes from home, you're marching said kid back to the house again for a change of pants!

Laura. Even if we chose or choose not to complicate the matter with all of the over-dressing, there really is no choice in the matter. It's either bundle the child up like an oompa-loompa, or risk sending the child outdoors inadequately dressed. Sometimes there's just no winning. LOL!

I went through this with the grands, too! Diapers included! ROFL!

3 hours ago, BalloonPants said:

Laura. Even if we chose or choose not to complicate the matter with all of the over-dressing, there really is no choice in the matter. It's either bundle the child up like an oompa-loompa, or risk sending the child outdoors inadequately dressed. Sometimes there's just no winning. LOL!

I went through this with the grands, too! Diapers included! ROFL!

I always choose to overdress rather than risk being cold. You’d be surprised how underdressed a lot of my granddaughter’s classmates are, she’s always the most bundled up kid at school.

15 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

I always choose to overdress rather than risk being cold. You’d be surprised how underdressed a lot of my granddaughter’s classmates are, she’s always the most bundled up kid at school.

Oh, Laura, I still practice overdressing to this day. I'd much rather have to remove a layer or two than shiver.

2 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

Oh, Laura, I still practice overdressing to this day. I'd much rather have to remove a layer or two than shiver.

Exactly! I would take being too warm over being cold any day.

3 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

Exactly! I would take being too warm over being cold any day.

Funny story for you. For the longest time, and I do mean even into my early adult years, I'd think, why layers, why not the biggest, heaviest, thickest jacket or coat. LOL!

Talk about me being slow! Oh my word...

4 hours ago, BalloonPants said:

LOL, so true about them being warmer the less they can move!

Yep, the old bib-style snow-pants, and if you're anything like me, you outfitted your kids in long-johns, too, so start adding up all of the layers and you get... underpants, long-johns, outer pants (jeans, sweats, whatever), snow-pants, shirt, sweater or sweatshirt, jacket, so of course, sitting a kid down on the toilet or potty with such a mish-mash of upper-body attire simply doesn't work.

LOL, Laura... Halloween, was another that proved to be challenging when dealing with the "I need to go potty" little ones, or the toddler you just finished changing and lifting down from the bathroom counter-top with freshly applied diaper on, only to dress him or her up in their sweet little costume, and 10 minutes from home, you're marching said kid back to the house again for a change of pants!

The layers do add up quite a bit. Tights, jeans, and snow pants on the bottom. Shirt, sweatshirt, vest, jacket, coat, and parka on top.

Thankfully my granddaughter didn’t want to go trick or treating this year, she said she was too old.

1 minute ago, BalloonPants said:

Funny story for you. For the longest time, and I do mean even into my early adult years, I'd think, why layers, why not the biggest, heaviest, thickest jacket or coat. LOL!

Talk about me being slow! Oh my word...

I like to combine the two schools of thought, layer up and wear the biggest and heaviest coat!

Just now, Laura62 said:

The layers do add up quite a bit. Tights, jeans, and snow pants on the bottom. Shirt, sweatshirt, vest, jacket, coat, and parka on top.

Thankfully my granddaughter didn’t want to go trick or treating this year, she said she was too old.

Very true. When my kids were at the diaper stage, it was two diapers (cloth), rubber pants over the diapers, tights or long-johns, outer-pants, then snow-pants over all that... and of course, t-shirt (usually short-sleeved), a long-sleeved or sweater over the t-shirt, then winter jacket.

I remember when an emergency diaper change came about, by the time I was done stripping said kid out of all of their layers, a huge pile of clothing in one big bundle could be found wherever I undressed them! LOL!

And let's not forget about the two safety pins on the diapers! ROFL!

5 minutes ago, Laura62 said:

I like to combine the two schools of thought, layer up and wear the biggest and heaviest coat!

I now live by your rule of thumb, but in my younger days a heavy winter coat was my go-to choice! :) 

3 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

I now live by your rule of thumb, but in my younger days a heavy winter coat was my go-to choice! :) 

Since I’m always so cold, I actually layer winter coats. On cold days like this I wear a light winter coat, followed by a heavier weight coat, followed by my heavy Canada Goose parka.