• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Laura62

Walking vs driving

109 posts in this topic

Just now, Laura62 said:

Since I’m always so cold, I actually layer winter coats. On cold days like this I wear a light winter coat, followed by a heavier weight coat, followed by my heavy Canada Goose parka.

Yep, I've done that before, too, wearing one of my thinner polar-fleece jackets under.

It's so bitter out today, I passed on leaving the house and venturing out, but whether I like it or not, I have to go tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you when I'm freezing away tomorrow! :) 

6 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

Yep, I've done that before, too, wearing one of my thinner polar-fleece jackets under.

It's so bitter out today, I passed on leaving the house and venturing out, but whether I like it or not, I have to go tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you when I'm freezing away tomorrow! :) 

Lol I wore a fleece jacket under my winter coats today too.

You won’t have to be freezing away if you bundle up! I’m about to venture out into 4F weather but I’m well dressed for it.

1 minute ago, Laura62 said:

Lol I wore a fleece jacket under my winter coats today too.

You won’t have to be freezing away if you bundle up! I’m about to venture out into 4F weather but I’m well dressed for it.

That's chilly... stay warm and hopefully your exposure will be short and brief. :) 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, BalloonPants said:

That's chilly... stay warm and hopefully your exposure will be short and brief. :) 

Thanks! I made it fine, barely felt the cold.

3 hours ago, Laura62 said:

Thanks! I made it fine, barely felt the cold.

Good news. DH just finished loading up a few bags of garbage and taking it away this evening, and he said it's so cold out his hands were burning. I'm not at all looking forward to going to town tomorrow.

17 hours ago, Laura62 said:

Funny that we’re talking about trench coats, when it feels like 2F outside right now. I still walked to work this morning, it just took me half the morning to get all of my winter gear on.

:lol:

11 hours ago, Laura62 said:

Since I’m always so cold, I actually layer winter coats. On cold days like this I wear a light winter coat, followed by a heavier weight coat, followed by my heavy Canada Goose parka.

This reminds me of my SIL - he says there's "no such thing" as weather that's "too cold," just people "who aren't dressed for it!" (Have you guessed that he loves winter sports, etc?) :D

5 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

This reminds me of my SIL - he says there's "no such thing" as weather that's "too cold," just people "who aren't dressed for it!" (Have you guessed that he loves winter sports, etc?) :D

He's right, but I believe you have to possess an all-out love for winter to partake in outdoor activities when the mercury dips way down. :) 

Yep.

I prefer to walk instead of driving if I can.   I also live in a home with a high walkability score as I want to be able to walk from my house to stores, the library, etc.   Right now I can easily walk to the grocery store, restaurants, my church, my yoga studio, doctor offices, parks, the library, and the neighborhood schools.   Regardless of where I live, a high walkability score will be important which means I will probably always live in a dense suburban area, the city or very close to the center of a town and will probably avoid areas with extreme cold or heat. 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

That’s absolutely true! So many people are just cold because they don’t dress appropriately. I walked my granddaughter to her basketball game today and it was funny how many people were rushing from their cars to the gymnasium freezing in barely any winter clothes, while she was barely waddling in all her layers! 

1 person likes this

I wonder sometimes if people are under-dressed for the weather or simply just used to the cold- The other day with the windchill it was below zero and some guy was walking around the grocery store in shorts- Not judging him or anyone else who really doesn't feel comfortable in a ton of clothes- I guess it just amazes me- Then again I used to run to catch the bus with wet hair, just out of the shower, no hat, and my hair would actually freeze stiff yet it didn't bother me-

2 people like this

10 hours ago, Komorebi said:

I wonder sometimes if people are under-dressed for the weather or simply just used to the cold- The other day with the windchill it was below zero and some guy was walking around the grocery store in shorts- Not judging him or anyone else who really doesn't feel comfortable in a ton of clothes- I guess it just amazes me- Then again I used to run to catch the bus with wet hair, just out of the shower, no hat, and my hair would actually freeze stiff yet it didn't bother me-

Oh my word... I remember arriving at school with frozen hair on many an occasion! LOL! Great memories...

The whole... wearing shorts thing in the dead of winter, I still don't get. I don't revel in being bundled-up in multiple layers and bulky outerwear from November through to March, but wearing shorts will never be an option for me. :) 

1 person likes this

If the thermostat is set on 72* (or whatever) year around, why not wear shorts in January when cleaning the closets?  Does it really matter that the weather outside is frightful?

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, SueSTx said:

If the thermostat is set on 72* (or whatever) year around, why not wear shorts in January when cleaning the closets?  Does it really matter that the weather outside is frightful?

Indoors, anything goes... I'm testament to that, sporting granny panties and a bra each morning while preparing coffee, but outdoors, that's a whole other thing.

1 person likes this

Ah shorts in winter, I see that pretty often. I honestly don’t get why some people do that.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Laura62 said:

Ah shorts in winter, I see that pretty often. I honestly don’t get why some people do that.

I'm with you on that, Laura! Add me to your list of those who don't understand wearing shorts in winter. LOL! :) 

20 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

I'm with you on that, Laura! Add me to your list of those who don't understand wearing shorts in winter. LOL! :) 

I don’t understand people who just don’t dress warm in the winter, seems like it’s mostly younger people to me.

3 hours ago, Laura62 said:

I don’t understand people who just don’t dress warm in the winter, seems like it’s mostly younger people to me.

I know, it's out there, and yes, it's always younger people.

The thermostat is set at 68, the temperature of the room reads 72, the floor itself can be 20 to 30 degrees cooler than the room-

52 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

My granddaughter’s friends are guilty of this, she always looks a stark contrast to them being so bundled up.

4 hours ago, Laura62 said:

And yet, I have a friend who does this, and DH has two friends who do. They're out in all but the coldest weather in shorts and t-shirts. My friend says she's "always hot," and "very comfortable" w/ the way she dresses in the cold. Maybe that's the case for others who do this, too?

1 hour ago, BalloonPants said:

1 person likes this

It's not always younger people -- my mother did this. Wore shorts in the winter to the store. Said she was going from the house to the car to the store so she didn't need to bundle up. She was one that also said she was hot all the time.

1 person likes this

My husband tends to run hot unless exposed to sustained cold, like at the office during the summer when they blast the air conditioning and after a couple of hours has to put on a coat and hat -- as do others- Or while hiking- He can hike very comfortably at 35 degrees but not below- 

2 hours ago, Komorebi said:

The thermostat is set at 68, the temperature of the room reads 72, the floor itself can be 20 to 30 degrees cooler than the room-

I know the older I get, the warmer I need to set the thermostat in our house. Seems I'm always cold or chilly.  

2 hours ago, Laura62 said:

My granddaughter’s friends are guilty of this, she always looks a stark contrast to them being so bundled up.

I'd be the same if I were dressing a little one. 

1 hour ago, RoseRed135 said:

And yet, I have a friend who does this, and DH has two friends who do. They're out in all but the coldest weather in shorts and t-shirts. My friend says she's "always hot," and "very comfortable" w/ the way she dresses in the cold. Maybe that's the case for others who do this, too?

Maybe, but I still can't wrap my head around it. Maybe it's tradition with me.

1 hour ago, homeygfunk said:

It's not always younger people -- my mother did this. Wore shorts in the winter to the store. Said she was going from the house to the car to the store so she didn't need to bundle up. She was one that also said she was hot all the time.

Wow. Could be that some people are just more comfy dressing lightly during the winter months. Personally, I can't imagine getting into a vehicle in -35°C, where everything is frozen solid (seats included), and then navigating your way around with blowing snow, and a wind-chill factor attacking your exposed skin. 

37 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

My husband tends to run hot unless exposed to sustained cold, like at the office during the summer when they blast the air conditioning and after a couple of hours has to put on a coat and hat -- as do others- Or while hiking- He can hike very comfortably at 35 degrees but not below- 

Mine, too, but... sheesh. :)