• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Laura62

Eating after 6pm, yay or nay?

12 posts in this topic

I’ve been hearing this one more and more often, curious what people think.

1 person likes this

When hungry, eat something -- it doesn't need to be a huge amount of food- But every body is different- I eat cereal and fruit at night but cannot eat in the morning, I rarely eat before 11AM/Noon-

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

When hungry, eat something -- it doesn't need to be a huge amount of food- But every body is different- I eat cereal and fruit at night but cannot eat in the morning, I rarely eat before 11AM/Noon-

That’s interesting, I’m usually equally hungry morning, day, and night

If I am hungry in the evening, I eat cottage cheese with fruit.  Cottage cheese has a high content of casein protein (a longer-lasting protein).  For me it is a bad idea to eat after 6 as I go to bed at 9 and need more time to digest or have terrible reflux.

I've been trying to eat my last meal earlier in the evening, before 6 if possible. I sleep much better if I eat earlier. Trying to make my meals lighter as well. 

6 hours ago, Mame925 said:

I've been trying to eat my last meal earlier in the evening, before 6 if possible. I sleep much better if I eat earlier. Trying to make my meals lighter as well. 

Me too.

I am so bad! I often snack into the evening, but really, I've found no difference (in me in general) between shutting-off all food and drink by say four or five in the evening, or having a later, or into the night snack or light meal.

I sleep the same, tend to wake the same, and from all that I can see, suffer no ill-consequences of occasionally snacking or eating later in the evening.

One thing I will say is, if I attempt to go to bed on an empty stomach where I'm feeling hungry, I won't sleep well, and vice-versa, if I were to over-eat just prior to bedtime, that, too, greatly affects my quality of sleep.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Around here, with all of our crazy schedules (one in high school with daily rehearsals right now, one living at home and commuting to college and also working, and two full time jobs) we eat when we eat. DH doesn't even get home until 6:30 or later from work. I work from home and sometimes look up and realize it's after 6pm because he's walking in the door. Youngest DD is a very picky eater and frequently makes her own food because she's not a fan of what is on the menu for dinner. Oldest DD is often in class until 8 or 9 pm or working until after 6pm on her non-school days, so she pretty much fends for herself. Because of the crazy schedules and the fact that I'm not a big eater to begin with, DH will sometimes come in and make a sandwich or heat up leftovers from another night, while I grab a bowl of cereal or cheese and crackers. 

If I'm cooking (which let's face it, on a normal night, DH is the only one that really wants a full meal) dinner is usually ready around 6:30. I pick at the veggies unless it's a favorite meal of my own. DH will eat one meal that night and then make it left overs for another night. ODD might come in and heat up a plate when she gets home.

Between high school & the Navy DS lived at home, dabbled with college and worked...really odd hours...the boy should have been a farmer. He chose the 5am-1pm warehouse shift at Home Depot. Most nights was in bed by 8:30 to be up by 4....I'd find notes asking me to 'save a plate'...which I did. He'd have last night's dinner for lunch when got home every day or take it for his lunch for the workday...

I cooked most nights...dinner was at 6, butts were expected in the seats unless you had a valid excuse (we had lots of practices here too). They were very good about it. 

When hubby was farming, it was not unusual for him to be 8:00 PM or later getting home in the middle of summer.  I had a hot meal ready to serve as soon as he finished with his bath.  In the winter, we tried to be finished by 6:00 when the local news came on.

It's not uncommon for us o eat between 10pm and midnight. I'm up around 8 or 9 am but rarely  eat before 1pm.   I'm just not hungry yet.

When our Kids were small and when the Grand Kids were living w/us we tried around 5 or 6 to eat at night.

Now that it's just the  2 of us it's when we are hungry, many nights it's 8 o'clock before we eat.  We eat when we want, not when the clock tells us to.