• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
Komorebi

Cabin Fever

22 posts in this topic

Cabin fever seems to be setting in earlier this winter- We've not even cleared the holidays yet and many people are expressing they already feel blue and restless- Oddly enough some of the trees have already begun to set their buds despite the below freezing temperatures and snow- It hasn't gotten to me yet -- but it could for a number of reasons- Two of my 3 siblings are in hospital- And while they've been in my thoughts I can't say I feel "down" about it even though navigating some of the circumstances involving their individual situations has been challenging emotionally- Meantime I've been keeping busy or sitting quietly and enjoying the season and snow thus far, focusing on simple pleasures and winter activities indoors and out- I do already have dark circles under my eyes which usually doesn't happen until late January early February, we've had next to no sun for quite some time-

1 person likes this

We've been gloomier than usual this fall also.  Living on a deadend street, I will be opening up the shades in January and February to make the house lighter.

Simple pleasures are often the best, IMO, Komorebi!

As for me, not much "cabin fever" here during the winter, as I still take my DGC to/from school some days and to some extracurriculars. The cold can irritate me though, especially if the temps get really low. But then i'm happy to get inside and enjoy the simple pleasure of hot soup or hot cocoa.

I suffer from cabin-fever every year around this time, because sunshine doesn't brighten our days as often as it does throughout the warmer months of the year, and the dark and overcast days do nothing for my energy level or happiness.

Simple pleasures, definitely attribute to help offset the ill-effects of cabin-fever (for sure). i.e., playing board games, visiting with friends and family, reading, baking, watching a good movie.

Simple pleasures definitely!  I enjoy the time away from yard work and gardening with the excuse it is too cold to go out and do anything.  Find things you love and enjoy them.  If you don't have anythings lined up for yourself, try  something new like needle work or anything you have always wanted to do but not had the time for.  Snuggle up with a blanket and hot tea and enjoy yourself.

1 person likes this

Snowing here today.  It was a light snow, but still covered everything.  I was able to get out early for my usual grocery shopping and also was able to take a nap, LOL.   I will be heading over to Knoxville, TN at the end of January to check out the area for a second time in another season.

14 hours ago, jenenon said:

Simple pleasures definitely!  I enjoy the time away from yard work and gardening with the excuse it is too cold to go out and do anything.  Find things you love and enjoy them.  If you don't have anythings lined up for yourself, try  something new like needle work or anything you have always wanted to do but not had the time for.  Snuggle up with a blanket and hot tea and enjoy yourself.

Boy, does the blanket and tea idea ever sound inviting! :) 

The Scandinavian countries call getting cozy over the course of the winter months Hygge- The yearly "White Sale" for linens kind of ties into the practice / tradition of comfortable and cozy, no? -- being that it takes place in January?

Edited by Komorebi

54 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

The Scandinavian countries call getting cozy over the course of the winter months Hygge- The yearly "White Sale" for linens kind of ties into the practice / tradition of comfortable and cozy, no? -- being that it takes place in January?

Excellent point about the annual White Sale. :) 

On 12/30/2017 at 0:22 PM, BalloonPants said:

I suffer from cabin-fever every year around this time, because sunshine doesn't brighten our days as often as it does throughout the warmer months of the year, and the dark and overcast days do nothing for my energy level or happiness.

Simple pleasures, definitely attribute to help offset the ill-effects of cabin-fever (for sure). i.e., playing board games, visiting with friends and family, reading, baking, watching a good movie.

We've played quite a few board games over the course of the holidays -- just finished a round of Scrabble-

1 person likes this

I've also been cycling through youtube and Amazon Music and listening to songs I've not listened to since I don't know when or never heard before -- just all over the map musically- One evening I listened to just female vocalists and watched the snow pass by the Christmas lights in the window-

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Komorebi said:

We've played quite a few board games over the course of the holidays -- just finished a round of Scrabble-

Looking forward to playing Monopoly and Life!

2 hours ago, Komorebi said:

I've also been cycling through youtube and Amazon Music and listening to songs I've not listened to since I don't know when or never heard before -- just all over the map musically- One evening I listened to just female vocalists and watched the snow pass by the Christmas lights in the window-

Ah, yes, YouTube music videos... all the time!

Posted (edited)

Have you tried the electronic Monopoly? It is so much fun.

Edited by homeygfunk
typo
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, homeygfunk said:

I've not tried it or ever even heard of it! Can you play solo?

27 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

I've not tried it or ever even heard of it! Can you play solo?

No. It's for 2 to 4 players.

16 hours ago, homeygfunk said:

I've never heard of Electronic Monopoly before. Please tell me more about it! :) 

2 hours ago, BalloonPants said:

I've never heard of Electronic Monopoly before. Please tell me more about it! :) 

It has a small electronic device that keeps track of the money and the properties. You have bank cards that you scan into the device to record your transactions. The board is a little different -- it has no railroads. There are no chance and community chest cards -- there are event cards that require you to do certain things. The kids love it. It goes kinda fast. We can usually play a game in about 2 hours.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, homeygfunk said:

It has a small electronic device that keeps track of the money and the properties. You have bank cards that you scan into the device to record your transactions. The board is a little different -- it has no railroads. There are no chance and community chest cards -- there are event cards that require you to do certain things. The kids love it. It goes kinda fast. We can usually play a game in about 2 hours.

Very interesting. Can't wait to have a look at one the next time I'm out shopping around! Thanks for the insight! :) 

46 days until Spring .. :)

I broke up the 'winter blues' by hopping on a plane to Vegas Wednesday morning with my sister to go see Van Morrison perform...just an overnighter...The show was stupendous...I don't gamble, so no issue there. We stayed at Caesars where the show was, so didn't even go outside. The "Forum Shops" (Caesars over-the-top upscale mall) has a ceiling painted to look like late afternoon summer, so at midnight we felt like we were outside. Two totally stress free days. We had an after show dinner at Gordon Ramsey's Pub...everything in Vegas is overpriced so a bit of a splurge...

Funny thing about Van Morrison...it's now so obvious he's on the spectrum, back in the 60s/70s he was labeled as "moody" and "reclusive"...his show starts ON TIME and ends ON TIME 90 minutes later...you can set your watch by him...He has absolutely no sparkle whatsoever. He doesn't talk between songs...I think he spoke about a dozen words...But he has a lot to say so can only express himself musically...He writes most of his stuff (and still does some killer covers). He surrounds himself with A-list musicians and solid arrangements. 

1 person likes this

I took a trip too and unexpectedly fell in love -- with the rental car- It was a 3 day winter fling, hated to let it go .. :) 

1 person likes this

Rental cars are how I decide what new car I want to buy....get a real test drive....