• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
BalloonPants

Question of the day... Reusable Cloth Grocery Bags

21 posts in this topic

• Has everyone made the switch to reusable cloth grocery/shopping bags?
  • If so, how long have you been using reusable cloth bags?
  • What made you switch from plastic to cloth?
  • List a few of the pros you enjoy as a cloth bag user...
  • Is there any cons you have Re: using cloth bags?
  • As a plastic bag user, did you recycle plastic bags in you home?
  • Is there anywhere that you shop where you are charged for plastic bags?

I sometimes shop at Aldi's and they charge for plastic bags so I bring my own bags. My sister gave me a bunch of the cloth bags so I use them. 

1 person likes this

58 minutes ago, homeygfunk said:

I sometimes shop at Aldi's and they charge for plastic bags so I bring my own bags. My sister gave me a bunch of the cloth bags so I use them. 

That's great. I made the switch to cloth bags and couldn't be happier. Wish I had done it years ago.

1 person likes this

I have my reusable bags...so much easier. I keep them in the car...when I empty them I put them on the front door handle so I remember to put them back in the car.

2 people like this

13 minutes ago, Mame925 said:

I have my reusable bags...so much easier. I keep them in the car...when I empty them I put them on the front door handle so I remember to put them back in the car.

Easier, better (for me). The ones I have even stand on their own, making for simple packing and carrying.

The hardest part for me about using cloth, was remembering to pack them, but I'm over that now. Conditioning (I call it). Going from one to another just requires a little conditioning. 

1 person likes this

In my state (CA), there is a state-wide ban on single-use plastic bags that are commonly used at grocery stores.  If you request a bag at the grocery store there is usually a 10 cent charge for each brown or reusable plastic bag.  It took me a while to adjust to this change and bring my own bags, and I am about 90% compliant at this point.  My purse is basically a large leather bag, so on the days my canvas bags aren't in the car, I just use that as a grocery bag.

I do miss the plastic bags as I used them as trash liners.    

1 person likes this

I use produce bags as catch alls in the kitchen sink (wrappers, scraps, etc)...amazing how fast it fills...Plastic grocery bags get used as trash liners around the house...paper grocery bags collect paper waste for recycling. 

I often order groceries online (prevents impulse buys!) that come in either brown bags or boxes...love that...if I'm not going to use the box, I break it down to store in the car shed...DH had a friend who does large recycling, so will give him a call to come collect what I've been accumulating. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, BSW said:

In my state (CA), there is a state-wide ban on single-use plastic bags that are commonly used at grocery stores.  If you request a bag at the grocery store there is usually a 10 cent charge for each brown or reusable plastic bag.  It took me a while to adjust to this change and bring my own bags, and I am about 90% compliant at this point.  My purse is basically a large leather bag, so on the days my canvas bags aren't in the car, I just use that as a grocery bag.

My regular grocer charges .5 cents per bag. For years and years I also used plastic grocer bags as garbage can liners until I found Kitchen Catchers. No more leaks. :) 

1 hour ago, Mame925 said:

I use produce bags as catch alls in the kitchen sink (wrappers, scraps, etc)...amazing how fast it fills...Plastic grocery bags get used as trash liners around the house...paper grocery bags collect paper waste for recycling. 

I often order groceries online (prevents impulse buys!) that come in either brown bags or boxes...love that...if I'm not going to use the box, I break it down to store in the car shed...DH had a friend who does large recycling, so will give him a call to come collect what I've been accumulating. 

I remember when there were no plastic bags, only paper (1970's). I remember refolding them after groceries were unpacked and put away. Nice, thick, heavy-duty paper bags.

3 people like this

2 hours ago, BalloonPants said:

Nice, thick, heavy-duty paper bags.

That were historically used for book covers! The years I spent in working in the middle schools I taught textbook covering....the district provided the sheets of brown bag paper...

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Mame925 said:

That were historically used for book covers! The years I spent in working in the middle schools I taught textbook covering....the district provided the sheets of brown bag paper...

LOL! I remember doing this as a girl and helping my ODD do it when she was first in school! Then they changed to book covers w/ the school name on it, as I recall, even for the elementary grades. Now, very often, my DGC have one textbook at school and an online version at home - so they don't generally bring home any textbooks, for covering or anything else, LOL! (They do bring home workbooks and packets, but those aren't expected to be covered.)

Edited by RoseRed135

18 hours ago, Mame925 said:

I don't know about historically, but yes, I do remember using brown paper bags when making replacement book covers when I was younger.

I use cloth bags when shopping at Aldi . I use cellophane bags otherwise and save them in the pantry to have something to put the plastic water bottles in for the recycling items each week. They come in handy too for toting goodies for others too . 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, GrandNonna said:

I use cloth bags when shopping at Aldi . I use cellophane bags otherwise and save them in the pantry to have something to put the plastic water bottles in for the recycling items each week. They come in handy too for toting goodies for others too . 

The nice part about cloth bags is, they're so strong and durable. No longer do I worry over the bottom of a flimsy plastic bag falling out. 

2 people like this

On 1/2/2018 at 1:13 PM, BSW said:

I still do (no state-ban here, obviously). And to carry other things, as GN mentions. I do have a cloth bag that i use for certain things. But I still find it helpful to use and recycle/repurpose plastic bags.

Posted (edited)

I have an insulated cloth bag that I love for packing for a pot luck supper.  I also use a cloth bag at the garden, works great to carry melons back to the house or to return books to the library.  I also pack shoes in one when going on a trip or dirty clothes when returning.

I also store my plastic bags in a cloth bag waiting for reuse.  If you split a plastic bag down the middle from the bottom they work great to tie up vines etc in the garden and of course they work great to share produce from the garden with the neighbors.

Recycled plastic bags also work great when throwing away those dirty disposable diapers.

Edited by SueSTx
2 people like this

5 minutes ago, SueSTx said:

I have an insulated cloth bag that I love for packing for a pot luck supper.  I also use a cloth bag at the garden, works great to carry melons back to the house or to return books to the library.  I also pack shoes in one when going on a trip or dirty clothes when returning.

I also store my plastic bags in a cloth bag waiting for reuse.  If you split a plastic bag down the middle from the bottom they work great to tie up vines etc in the garden and of course they work great to share produce from the garden with the neighbors.

Recycled plastic bags also work great when throwing away those dirty disposable diapers.

Lovely ideas, Sue! :)

I never used disposable diapers, but I do remember going on vacation or making a trip in the car when the kids were little, and storing their wet and dirty cloth diapers in plastic bread bags until we arrived at whoevers house we were staying at and I could wash them.

On 1/2/2018 at 0:24 PM, BalloonPants said:
  • Has everyone made the switch to reusable cloth grocery/shopping bags?

I can't speak for everyone, of course, but yes, I have.  I keep five of them in my purse so I;m never without one.

• If so, how long have you been using reusable cloth bags?

About ten years

• What made you switch from plastic to cloth?

Plastic are a pain in the butt to carry, so I always had to remember them, and they're a nightmare for the environment. I am getting away from plastics in every way I can in every area of my life.

• List a few of the pros you enjoy as a cloth bag user...

I can carry them in my purse because they fold up small, so I always have them
They don't stink because they stand up to being laundered once a week
They hold more and are more flexible
They're pretty
They're easier on the environment

• Is there any cons you have Re: using cloth bags?

Nothing I can think of offhand.

• As a plastic bag user, did you recycle plastic bags in you home?

We reused them until they fell apart. Recycling wasn't  a real option back then.

• Is there anywhere that you shop where you are charged for plastic bags?

I have no idea.

1 person likes this

GrandmaMisti. Lovely post! :)

Good on you for already seeing the ten year mark of incorporating cloth bags in your life/home.

If I had one word of advice for someone looking to make the switch from plastic to cloth, that advice would be to buy quality bags made of 100% cotton/canvas, and durable enough to stand-up to the rigors of machine washing.

1 person likes this

I need to use mine more often- I usually only use them at one store that charges for bags-

I use cloth bags as often as I can because they are easier to carry. They seem to hold the groceries better, neater. I put them in my car right after I empty them. I especially like the ones for cold foods. 

I've ordered some on the internet or have gotten them free in the mail a couple of times. 

If I get plastic I use them to line my trash liners in rooms around the house w/waste baskets, then just pull them up, tie them and throw away. I even got my DD and GDD hooked on the trash liners. 

My husband uses plastic, he just won't use the bags unless I'm with him. He did have to admit they came in handy at BJ's with a big monthly order. 

We put our recycling in them, then my husband takes them to the re-cycling bin for our township. 

1 person likes this