• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
BalloonPants

Question of the day... Washing Dishes

24 posts in this topic

• Is there anyone here (besides me) that still enjoys washing and drying dishes by-hand?
  • Do you own an automatic dishwasher, yet still choose to wash and dry dishes by-hand?
  • What drives you wash and dry by-hand? Cost savings? No dishwasher?

Love to hear from everybody on this. :) 

1 person likes this

I'm just one person....so I usually wash dishes by hand. I don't mind it all. It's a rather mindless task, but shows you've accomplished something. If I'm doing prep work for a dinner party or serious baking I'll use the dishwasher for all the stuff...

Knives, cast iron pots and baking pans usually need to be hand washed, so there is always something....

1 person likes this

We have an automatic dishwasher and I put regular plates, cups, glasses, utensils in that to wash. Pots, pans, knives, Tupperware, baking sheets, etc,  I usually wash by hand. Sometimes I really enjoy it. Other times, I pawn it off on the three other human dishwashers in the house!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Mame925 said:

I'm just one person....so I usually wash dishes by hand. I don't mind it all. It's a rather mindless task, but shows you've accomplished something. If I'm doing prep work for a dinner party or serious baking I'll use the dishwasher for all the stuff...

Knives, cast iron pots and baking pans usually need to be hand washed, so there is always something....

Two people here, so always hand-wash, but even with a house-full I still always hand-washed and dried. Holiday time is the only time through the year when I put to use the automatic dishwasher.  

33 minutes ago, BlueEyedGirl said:

We have an automatic dishwasher and I put regular plates, cups, glasses, utensils in that to wash. Pots, pans, knives, Tupperware, baking sheets, etc,  I usually wash by hand. Sometimes I really enjoy it. Other times, I pawn it off on the three other human dishwashers in the house!

Yep, that's me, BEG, I, too, enjoy the quiet time associated with washing and drying dishes.

LOL, about other human dishwashers in the home. Yes, that's was me, too, when my kids were younger. Nothing like teaching them early. :) 

Like BEG, for me, it depends a lot on what I'm washing. Some things, of course, aren't dishwasher-safe (such as kiddie plates when they were being used). And some just don't seem to come out as well in the dishwasher. So those things I'll handwash. Everything else goes in the dishwasher.

Whether I enjoy washing dishes or not depends on my mood. Like BEG, sometimes I "really enjoy it;" :) other times, not. :(

1 person likes this

I worked in a commercial kitchen for over 20 years, so I do whatever it takes to not wash dishes.

Being there is just two of us, I do make a quick rinse off and place everything in the dishwasher.  When it is full enough to run I use the one hour quick wash to basically disinfect everything. 

Hubby has never been "sick" in the 40 something years we have been married whether when I did use a dishwasher or when I didn't.  Before a dishwasher, I did use bleach in my wash water, now I am allergic to bleach so I choose the machine.

1 person likes this

Just the two of us....we use our dishwasher about twice a week. I like washing the dishes especially in winter because it gets my hands warm! LOL!

Daily I wash pans and bowls too large for the dishwasher, or delicate items.  

My pet peeve is when he is home all day and has not emptied the dishwasher. So I have to in order to put dirty ones in it after dinner. Sometimes I just opt to hand-wash. He gets the hint.

2 people like this

For me, it depends on how full the sink is and my mood. I usually just hand wash but there are times I use the dishwasher. Kids and DH all load the dishes in the washer. DH will run it even if only half full and kids will only run dishwasher when I or DH tell them too. I don't dry the dishes. I wash and let them sit in the dish drainer.I put away when dry though. DH will put away wet or dry and puts things away where no one, not even him, knows where the items went so none of us prefer him to put items away. LOL.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, SueSTx said:

I worked in a commercial kitchen for over 20 years, so I do whatever it takes to not wash dishes.

Being there is just two of us, I do make a quick rinse off and place everything in the dishwasher.  When it is full enough to run I use the one hour quick wash to basically disinfect everything. 

Hubby has never been "sick" in the 40 something years we have been married whether when I did use a dishwasher or when I didn't.  Before a dishwasher, I did use bleach in my wash water, now I am allergic to bleach so I choose the machine.

I still occasionally add bleach to a dish-load when hand-washing, depending on what it is that I made, and the dishcloth get's a good overnight soaking in bleach and water in the sink each week to freshen it up and remove staining.

1 hour ago, KayRinWA said:

Just the two of us....we use our dishwasher about twice a week. I like washing the dishes especially in winter because it gets my hands warm! LOL!

Daily I wash pans and bowls too large for the dishwasher, or delicate items.  

My pet peeve is when he is home all day and has not emptied the dishwasher. So I have to in order to put dirty ones in it after dinner. Sometimes I just opt to hand-wash. He gets the hint.

You just nailed it, when I figure in the time it takes to load the dishwasher, add detergent and start the cycle, then listen to the machine humming and whirring away for an hour or more, then additional time needed to allow the dishes and things inside to cool, then emptying out the machine, I can have all of the kitchen cleaned, dishes washed and dried, and be sitting enjoying the evening news with a piping hot cup of tea in hand in a quarter of the time.   

29 minutes ago, Cupcake55 said:

For me, it depends on how full the sink is and my mood. I usually just hand wash but there are times I use the dishwasher. Kids and DH all load the dishes in the washer. DH will run it even if only half full and kids will only run dishwasher when I or DH tell them too. I don't dry the dishes. I wash and let them sit in the dish drainer.I put away when dry though. DH will put away wet or dry and puts things away where no one, not even him, knows where the items went so none of us prefer him to put items away. LOL.

Now that's the sort of help I can do without. My policy is and has always been, if you're going to pitch-in and help, do things the right way or I'll do it myself. Can't stand a Mickey-Mouse job or effort, regardless of what it applies to.

1 person likes this

46 minutes ago, BalloonPants said:

Now that's the sort of help I can do without. My policy is and has always been, if you're going to pitch-in and help, do things the right way or I'll do it myself. Can't stand a Mickey-Mouse job or effort, regardless of what it applies to.

His heart is in the right place but I do ask him to NOT put dishes away. EVER. When he cooks, he dirties every dish in the house so I have to weigh him cooking or not. He is a very good cook though so I have to cave and clean up after.

1 person likes this

Washed dishes until about 2006 when we moved and I got a dishwasher.  I still handwash my pyrex and some of the pots.  My children do not wash the dishes correctly and can't even look to see if the stuff coming out of the dishwasher is actually clean.  Not LOL

1 person likes this

Being only one now,and even when I had my DD and the kids visit I washed as I cooked so not much left to do . I got used to hand washing dishes and have not used a dishwasher since 2011. My bills are lower too.  

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Cupcake55 said:

His heart is in the right place but I do ask him to NOT put dishes away. EVER. When he cooks, he dirties every dish in the house so I have to weigh him cooking or not. He is a very good cook though so I have to cave and clean up after.

OMG... one of those! LOL! :) 

So happy you are able to strike a happy balance and find a favourable compromise. Good on you, Cup! 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, FreeGirl said:

Washed dishes until about 2006 when we moved and I got a dishwasher.  I still handwash my pyrex and some of the pots.  My children do not wash the dishes correctly and can't even look to see if the stuff coming out of the dishwasher is actually clean.  Not LOL

I'd be the same as you if I used my automatic dishwasher, all stemware and larger more expensive glassware would be washed and dried by hand.

1 hour ago, GrandNonna said:

Being only one now,and even when I had my DD and the kids visit I washed as I cooked so not much left to do . I got used to hand washing dishes and have not used a dishwasher since 2011. My bills are lower too.  

It's funny how attached we can get to doing certain things the old-fashioned way. :) 

1 person likes this

I do NOT

I did not have a dish washer in  2 homes, & apartments and finally this one I do. 

So 25 year of my 55 years of marriage I washed by hand.

Again, I'm a household of one, so doing my little pile of dished by hand every day, every other day is so minor...Yet washing dishes is oddly soothing. Soaking any body part in hot water is soothing to the body as well as the spirit, so I just don't mind at all...I'll use the dishwasher when cooking/feeding a group of more than 4 mostly because there are always prep items that there is no time to wash and put away...hide in the dishwasher, continue filling then run...Also, I hate emptying the dishwasher...not sure why.

The first 4 places I lived there was no dishwasher. Even growing up DM always did the dishes by hand. When I was maybe 6 or 7 she'd give me a quarter to wash the dishes. It took me a long time but I wanted that quarter. After DH and I got married we had moved to a college town to finish our education, no dishwasher. My YBIL would come over and he'd say things like, "I have NEVER seen a dirty dish in your sink. How do you keep it so clean in here?" Well it was just DH and I at the time, no dishwasher. He had just gotten married living with his new bride and they had dirty dishes piled up all over the counters, in the sink, on the table.... He loved seeing my clean home but especially loved no dirty dishes anywhere. No idea how they live now but I will never forget he said that to me. It was one of the only nice things he said to me. Of course, YSIL doesn't know that he said that to me.

I have friends who always have immaculate homes....it's beyond me how they do it. I do make the bed every day, the laundry is caught up and the dishes are done, but beyond that things can get away from me if I let them. I always figured that it isn't a show place day-to-day, we LIVE here. Some people seem to just be effortless about it. 

2 hours ago, Mame925 said:

I have friends who always have immaculate homes....it's beyond me how they do it. I do make the bed every day, the laundry is caught up and the dishes are done, but beyond that things can get away from me if I let them. I always figured that it isn't a show place day-to-day, we LIVE here. Some people seem to just be effortless about it. 

The kitchen is the only place I keep as clean as possible. I could dust 20 times a day and still have dust. I don't worry about it and now that there is more than just DH and myself there are always dirty dishes in the sink. I could have everything done, cleaned up and five seconds later 5 dirty glasses magically appear. I don't worry about it and I don't stress about it. People don't come over to see how clean my home is anyway. I had way more time to fill my days back in college.

On 1/2/2018 at 6:55 AM, BalloonPants said:
  • Is there anyone here (besides me) that still enjoys washing and drying dishes by-hand?
  • Do you own an automatic dishwasher, yet still choose to wash and dry dishes by-hand?
  • What drives you wash and dry by-hand? Cost savings? No dishwasher?

When Mom was pregnant with my brother, my sisters were in college or late high school, Dad bought Mom a dishwasher. My sisters had always helped with dishes, but I got to play/help with my brother until I went to college (didn't have to do dishwashing). Mom and Dad visited and loaded the dishes. Fabulous.

When we go married our tiny old home didn't have a dishwasher. We added on/renovated a bit before MDS was born, added a dishwasher. Luckily 8 years was the only time I've had to handwash. I love dishwashers (washers, dryers, freezers, all appliances are great imo). We added a second dw, during another reno before YDD was born.

We have no excuse for dirty dishes or stuff in the sink. We both value clean and tidy. ETA: TYVM, MIL

My husband and I put most everything in the dishwasher and run 2-3 loads of dishes a day. I'm picky, if handwashing I use far more soap/water and I'm never sure if the water is hot enough to sanitize. We only handwash MIL's old china cups/sauces with gold trim and any other old fussy or stemmed stuff (we usually drink our first cups of coffee from MIL's cups). We typically eat off English earthenware or stoke pottery, it all goes in the dishwasher. Most meals are only 6-11 people, one dishwasher full and a bit in the other awaiting breakfast. We had an annual-event family dinner last night; lots of glasses, plates, dessert plates, utensils for 17 who ate here. Plus pans, cutting boards, cooking and serving dishes, both dishwashers full, kitchen clean in a very few minutes. 

ETA: If we eat off old china or fussy stuff we have to handwash, but we usually leave it to drip dry in the dishwashers.

Edited by JanelleK

I did a bit of baking last night (tired fruit is now high fiber muffins packed and heading for xDIL's today...I've been invited to meet the new girlie. #2 GB loves my fruit muffins), but the mess is still in the sink...won't be for long. A full dishwasher load would take me days to accumulate, partly because I use mostly vintage dishes that prefer a hand wash...I have a set of "peach lustre" from the 40s that is not at all dishwasher safe. 

My first two apartments had no dishwasher. Actually, neither did the first two houses...but were easily installed...by then I had kids.