• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

New Paid Maternity/Paternity Leave Law in NYS!

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A new Paid Family Leave law just went into effect in New York State, as of this past Monday, Jan.1, 2018. The link to an article about it came across my FB  Newsfeed, but I can't share it here b/c it includes a solicitation for a subscription. However, you can find the info via Google. Apparently, the law mandates up to 8 weeks of paid leave (some sites say "partially paid") for many working parents this year, phasing into longer periods, and culminating in 12 weeks paid (partially paid?) leave by 2021. What's especially notable, it seems, is that the law applies to new fathers, as well as new mothers.

Thoughts?

Edited by RoseRed135
omission

Its amazing- :)

In CA when my kids were born there was a 6 week paid 'maternity leave' paid by the state, 12 week if c/section...my kids benefited from the "family leave act"...to be off 6 months with their new babies...good for everyone I think. FLA can apply to new dads and/or any other caregivers.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Its amazing- :)

What part are you referring to? The fact that it can apply to dads, as well as moms? The fact that it's for 8 weeks? Or that it will eventually extend to 12? Or just the fact that any politicians are paying attention to this issue, at all? Or??

Here in Canada, maternity leave is 12 wks. 'Parental leave' is then another 36? weeks, and can be taken by Mom, Dad, or split btwn them. Adoptive parents are also entitled to parental leave.

I took both leaves w/our now 12 yo. Wolf took parental leave w/the youngest two, due to my disability.

It's not full pay, I think it's 60% or so, but definitely a good thing for us.

I can't imagine having to go back to work before you've even physically recovered from giving birth.

15 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

What part are you referring to? The fact that it can apply to dads, as well as moms? The fact that it's for 8 weeks? Or that it will eventually extend to 12? Or just the fact that any politicians are paying attention to this issue, at all? Or??

Above all things, the nurturing- It gives me hope that this country will continue to move more towards nurturing and away from "the way it currently is" -- as in pursuit comes to soon in life instead of provision-

Just now, Komorebi said:

Above all things, the nurturing- It gives me hope that this country will continue to move more towards nurturing and away from "the way it currently is" -- as in pursuit comes to soon in life instead of provision-

Interesting! But I'm not sure what the bolded means? Can you clarify? Perhaps give an example?

Just now, RoseRed135 said:

Interesting! But I'm not sure what the bolded means? Can you clarify? Perhaps give an example?

I know lol .. it's so ingrained in our way of life that we don't even notice-  :)  From family values, to education, employment, healthcare and old age- We need to restructure what pursuit means- We need to remove all the practices that hinder achievement- 

1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

I know lol .. it's so ingrained in our way of life that we don't even notice-  :)  From family values, to education, employment, healthcare and old age- We need to restructure what pursuit means- We need to remove all the practices that hinder achievement- 

Hmmm... "pursuit" - Are you talking about the famed "pursuit of happiness?"