• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Do your kids/GC get out in the snow? Making "angels?" Building snowpeople or snow forts? Having snowball fights? Sledding? Skiing? Do you get out there w/ them or do you leave that to the parents (if you're a GP),  the GPs (if you're a parent) or other adult relatives or friends? Or are they old enough to be out there by themselves? Or does your family just not "do" snow? Or??

Edited by RoseRed135

All of them play outdoor all year long- They don't ski- As far as I know, there is only one lone, crowded slope in the area- I do wish they would take an interest on their own as they get older- But they've other equipment for sliding on snow and ice and they do make snow angels- In fact in the early part of winter there was a small patch of snow and one of them couldn't resist- They've made angels in the snow, in the sand and in the mud -- funny stuff .. :)

I have two teenage daughters, 19 and 17. When they became teenagers, the lure of playing outside lost its appeal. EXCEPT for when it snows. Which is completely and entirely rare here and a major occasion. I live in the South and we have little infrastructure for snow, which here often has a major layer of ice underneath. So when it actually snows of any significance, we shut down entirely. No school, no work, most places are closed. I'm not a snow girl. I LOVE to look at it. I think it's beautiful. But I love to look at it and think it's beautiful from inside of a warm house, in my pajamas, bunny slippers and soft blanket, lol. But DH and our girls, it's their thing to play together in the snow. They will get me outside to take pictures and videos, but that is the extent of my snow day. We live on a huge hill and it's a great sledding hill. DH and the girls have sleds and will spend hours, until they are too cold to continue, sledding. They make snow angels and snowmen/women.  If we are lucky enough to get more than one snow in a season, we will make snow cream. We were always told not to make snow cream from the first snow of the year or you know....yellow snow lol. 

As much as they love the snow, we don't ski. I'm sure the girls would go with friends if invited, but we are a family of accidents waiting to happen, so we don't take unnecessary chances as a family lol. 

Grands are older now, but when they were younger, snow-time was it! I felt more energetic back then, too, so making snow forts, snowmen, and just having fun tobogganing with them was all in a day's work for me. I even had my own snow-pants and things! LOL! Grandma wearing her bulky, crunchy, plastic sounding snow-pants just like the kids! :) 

We used to do family-day as well, where we'd all get-together as a group and go tobogganing for the day, or skating, or whatever. Always had so much fun. We'd pack thermoses of hot chocolate and sandwiches and make a day of it.

I actually miss seeing all of the little ones gear strung over my wooden drying rack. I'd strip them out of their winter gear in the porch, hang up their things on the wooden drying rack, and make hot chocolate for everybody. Boots were turned upside-down over heat registers to expedite drying, and toques and mitts got pinned-up on a makeshift drying line in the porch over the electric baseboard heater. Grandma had it all figured out.

Posted (edited)

As a farm family, doing chores in the snow was no fun, so going back out after finally getting warm was not fun.

Edited by SueSTx

4 different kinds of replies, so far! Thank you, ladies!

@All - Anyone else?

Everyone here has to travel to snow....2-3 hours...we never got into the habit. All the AC go to the snow 1-2x per year...I skied in my teens, but didn't pursue it later. I like snow as a visual (love to watch it come down), but not a fan of the cold/wet. 

...funny story...my mom moved to CA at age 15 from northern MN (where it gets seriously cold). They made the cross country trip starting in mid February...it took about 3 weeks (this was 1943, I'm sure it was awful). When they got to their destination (they came for defense work in the shipyards) she remembered getting out of the truck in the mild coastal CA winter and saying "I'll never winter in the snow again"...

2 people like this

Since winter in my part of the country lasts about 5 months it is almost impossible not to be outside playing. DH and I don't mind the snow, we always skied both downhill and cross country, went snowshoeing, ice skated and went tubing and sledding. We passed it on to our kids, although they liked snowboarding better than skiing. I sometimes think DD went to the college she did so she could board almost everyday.The college was near a large winter resort. She also got a job at the resort which meant free boarding.

GDG took snowboarding lessons a few years ago and is really into it. We have a small pond across the street from my house used for ice skating. Last year DH bought GD snowshoes so they could go out in the fields together. There is usually a snowman or two in our yard. I think being outside playing in winter is the best way to enjoy it!

2 people like this

6 hours ago, DaisyJane said:

Since winter in my part of the country lasts about 5 months it is almost impossible not to be outside playing. DH and I don't mind the snow, we always skied both downhill and cross country, went snowshoeing, ice skated

You must be my neighbor. We also have 5-6 months of winter yearly. 

We ski, skate, sled, snowshoe and any other thing we can think of to be outdoors. This morning, after breakfast, we and ODD/YDS N/Ns took 7 GC and 8 N/N kiddies skiing. While I'm cooking/computing - the rest are planning a snow bonfire with smores to get rid of cardboard (vs hauling it back to town Monday night to recycle at home). Being outdoors in the snow, imo, is healthy cheap family fun.

ETA: Yep, we're redneck goobers.
Edited by JanelleK
1 person likes this