• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

How do you stay warm?

12 posts in this topic

GP.com is featuring this article on their FB page, regarding ways to avoid hypothermia or to help keep  "aging parents" safe and warm. (They must mean seriously aging, frail parents b/c, no doubt, many of us senior citizens here, including me, can keep ourselves warm, etc. :) ):

https://www.grandparents.com/family-and-relationships/caregiving/cold-weather-safety

Sounds like fairly practical advice. Still, I thought I'd ask, what do you do to avoid a chill?

Interesting article. I didn't know that some medication could affect hypothermia. I will be checking with my doctor about that.  Thanks for the link to the info.

2 people like this

I just wear layers. Layers and layers.

My husband goes around in regular old jeans and a Tshirt all winter long while I wear two tops, two pairs of socks, a hoodie and a scarf around the house.

Right now in my office, I have 2 layers including a sweater on, a scarf, and wrapping myself in a shawl I crocheted last winter --because of the AC. My feet are freezing. I actually have handwarmers in my desk drawer. Sometimes I go to the restroom to run my hands under hot water.

I hate being cold and can't wait until summer, I don't care how hot it gets!

I wear thermal base layers and layers of winter coats. I also cover up all exposed skin, leaving just a little around my eyes exposed. I protect my face especially well, hat, scarves, and hoods. I hate being cold and even in the winter we walk almost everywhere so extreme bundling for my granddaughter and myself is a daily task.

We still use a single wall heater to heat our 1200 sq ft house.  I do run an electric heater in the opposite end of the house during the night but unplug it when the sun is shining.  I sleep with a 'bed warmer' and flannel sheets.  The warm bed helps with my back ache.

During the day, I usually wear capris but in sub zero weather, I do wear sweat pants and sometimes put on a hoodie.  I have been known to turn on the ceiling fan when cooking, because I get too hot standing next to the stove.

In our house we literally crank the heat throughout the winter months. We flat-out refuse to sit all bundled up like Eskimos in our home.

As for bedding, goose-down duvets are my favourite, and yes, that's what every bed in our home has. Climb under a quality goose-down duvet after a hot bath, and it's lights-out till morning. No fear of shivering under a GD duvet.

We know family that use personal electric heaters or space heaters in their home, particularly in rooms where they're sitting and relaxing. That day is coming for us, too. I'm sure it would help off-set our heating expense.

Oh, and nice fluffy warm socks! Now those are a must! So comfy!

It isn't nearly as cold here as in other parts of the country, but our cold is damp & penetrating as I live on the water. I keep the house at 68...turned down to 59 at night (so far the heater hasn't come on overnight). Everything is programmed...so if I'm cold, the problem is ME. I wear socks & sweaters in winter...most days a sweater/sweatshirt is all I need to be out and about during the day. Evenings usually require something heavier. 

This past year I had the windows replaced to high end double pane...I feel the difference. My windows are all 84" so replacing the 130yo single pane windows was a no brainer. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Venturing out today I brought along two blankets, ski pants, an extra coat and scarf just in case anything happened to the car- Also had another blanket in the trunk with several packages of Hothands- I think today has been the coldest thus far when factoring in the wind- I was all layered up but the cold still got in, even had on ski gloves but they got so cold that they actually made my hands cold so pulled the sleeves of my sweater over my hands- It was almost impossible to pump gas! I normally wait outside of the car next to the pump but not today- When I got to the grocery store some woman was walking across the parking lot in a long wool coat and boots but no hat! I was like whaaa? She just had her hair done!!! LMAO .. she didn't want to flatten it ..

Edited by Komorebi

1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

was all layered up but the cold still got in... This is what happens to me in this kind of weather. No matter how many layers I'm wearing, the wind goes right through me!  When I got to the grocery store some woman was walking across the parking lot in a long wool coat and boots but no hat! I was like whaaa? She just had her hair done!!! LMAO .. she didn't want to flatten it ..There's almost always someone who'll choose protecting her hair over being warm. I've done it myself sometimes!

:)

If I go out for any length of time I wear long underwear, a sweatshirt, a hat, gloves and a coat w/a hood. I wrap a scarf around my neck so I can keep the cold off my face, and try to keep my asthma from acting up. I  Also real wear good socks and my nice warm boots.  

At home, nice warm sweats and mostly warm sweatshirts. I always make sure my feet are warm, if not the rest of me feels cold.  

I also have made several afghans and some are a little older so they are very WARM.  Warm tea and coffee helps sometimes.   :)

I had a bagger at my Grocery Store and her hands were cold. After I loaded my groceries I went back in to give her my gloves. She was gone and I had no name no anything. I just felt so sorry for her.      

I have a few pair of fingerless gloves...so handy for things that require use of uncovered fingers when your hands are cold...Very easy to knit/crochet in any stitch you want. 

I wear sweatshirts/sweaters a lot. My thermostat is usually set to 68...but I have to keep my feet warm or everything goes straight down hill...I need to get some sweatpants...I'm ready for summer.