• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
BalloonPants

Question of the day... Pet-Peeves

18 posts in this topic

Grrr... come on everybody,  let's air our pet-peeves about whatever it is we get peeved about.

I'll start. Yesterday while out shopping, a lady stood directly in the middle of the isle, shopping cart parked sideways, and when I approached and said in a respectful tone, "excuse me please", she looked at me as if I had one eye.

It's times such as that where it's all I can do to not say something back (derogatory), as it's amazing how many people think they're the only ones out and about, or life is all about them and them only.

That is one of my pet peeves as well. Trying to get through the store with everyone in the way is nerve wrecking. I have a low voice so I have to raise to be heard so I feel like I am yelling at the other customers.

18 minutes ago, homeygfunk said:

That is one of my pet peeves as well. Trying to get through the store with everyone in the way is nerve wrecking. I have a low voice so I have to raise to be heard so I feel like I am yelling at the other customers.

I say raise your voice and let whoever think what they want. There comes a time when niceness just doesn't work. Some people need a good prodding! 

Slow drivers in the fast lanes....4 lane expressway...L to R....passing, faster, fast, merge/slow....if you want to go 35 (minimum freeway speed), stick to the right lane....

When my granddaughters hair is a rat tangle mess at best and dirty, sticky, and smelly with food in it at worst. I have four granddaughters ages 2,4,5 and 9. All three of my sons have a girl and YDS has two. Unfortunately this is more the normal than the exception. 

15 minutes ago, LimberlostGirl said:

When my granddaughters hair is a rat tangle mess at best and dirty, sticky, and smelly with food in it at worst. I have four granddaughters ages 2,4,5 and 9. All three of my sons have a girl and YDS has two. Unfortunately this is more the normal than the exception. 

I get to do all the hair if I'm around at the time...DIL has a very heavy hand and very little patience...DsD gets frustrated so I do the hair...and all 3 have loooonnnng hair...they're big on French braids

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, LimberlostGirl said:

Ugh! Sorry, but this seems like more than a "pet peeve" to me - this sounds like neglect, even if the parents are great in every other way.. And it's clearly unhealthy.

TBF, some parents let whatever happens w/ the hair during the day, and then wash and comb it out at night. Could that be what's going on?

If not or if you're not sure, have you said anything? I don't usually advise GMs to interfere, but this is one situation in which I would speak up at least once. If neither the moms or the dads have the time or patience to care for your GDs' hair, they can always take them to a barber and have it cut short.

But the older ones must be in school - do you know if the school has said anything?

1 person likes this

Would some of that detangle spray help as a stop gap measure?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, SueSTx said:

Would some of that detangle spray help as a stop gap measure?

It makes the process easier, but you still have to take the time with a brush ...My girls never left the house without their hair combed...Niece lets her DD go out in a mess as well...'oh, she brushed it herself'...uh, no, that pony tail has been there 3 days, she brushed over the top...and she's 11...

1 person likes this

I see it frequently- But on the same note can't say I've seen it on an unhappy child recently- Even boys are sporting that I had pudding last night for dinner look- They don't appear to be unhappy either- It probably happens more frequently with children who play outside especially during the winter when hats, scarves and hoodies can turn just brushed hair into a rat nest in a matter of minutes- No idea why they quit making Tame .. that stuff was amazing for getting out tangles .. 

I sympathize with these kids because my hair has a mind of its own, too ..

il_570xN.1165828156_nk87.jpg

1 person likes this

Google "Funny Golden Retriever Dogs Star In "My Hair Had A Party Last Night" and watch the video .. It's a children's song recorded by Trout Fishing in America ..

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Mame925 said:

It makes the process easier, but you still have to take the time with a brush ...My girls never left the house without their hair combed...Niece lets her DD go out in a mess as well...'oh, she brushed it herself'...uh, no, that pony tail has been there 3 days, she brushed over the top...and she's 11...

I've seen tearful girls in the hair salon w/ hair like that - and desperate mothers along w/ them. Usually, the hairdresser ends up cutting the hair short, sometimes shorter than they would like. Girl leaves still in tears; mom leaves looking relieved.

But, sometimes, kids - and moms - have to learn from their own mistakes, I guess.

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

Ok...even at my age, I have one spot in the back that just fuzzes up and tangles something terrible if it gets very long in the back.

Maybe some fancy brushes, spray detangler, shampoo and cream rinse would be a nice surprise for the girls and parents. Headbands, fancy barrettes, and hair ties.  Valentine's Day is coming. All the above can be purchased at the dollar store. You tube videos of  DYI hair styles. Maybe an at home beauty saloon day.

DD had long very long hair, it was down to her butt in college. By 5th grade she took care of it mostly by herself. She loved spray detangler and extremely proud of her hair.

An at home mani and pedi with a trip to Super Cuts could be a nice spa time for all. Ask the stylists for tips to take care of the girls hair, and things the 9 and 5 year old can do for themselves and their sisters and cousins.

If it is the norm as you say parents don't care, may be very hard to look at but, i know you want to keep peace in the family.

1 person likes this

Thank you all for the suggestions. My granddaughters are not neglected overall, just in the hair department it seems. ODS/DIL 4yo (5 in 3 weeks) is on the autism spectrum. She is sensitive about her hair, no barrettes, ponytail holders or such . DIL has not the patience and leaves it for DS to do. DS did cut her very thick hair into a pixie. Much criticism and bashing from DIL family on fb. I don't know why, she totally rocks the pixie cut. YDS/DIL girls hair always clean but unkempt. YDIL does a great job with the girls hair when she is mentally well. Lazy parenting on MDS/DIL about 9yo GD as I  see it. I have spoken to my sons about the girls hair and they are trying to do better. 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, LimberlostGirl said:

Thank you all for the suggestions. My granddaughters are not neglected overall, just in the hair department it seems. ODS/DIL 4yo (5 in 3 weeks) is on the autism spectrum. She is sensitive about her hair, no barrettes, ponytail holders or such . DIL has not the patience and leaves it for DS to do. DS did cut her very thick hair into a pixie. Much criticism and bashing from DIL family on fb. I don't know why, she totally rocks the pixie cut. YDS/DIL girls hair always clean but unkempt. YDIL does a great job with the girls hair when she is mentally well. Lazy parenting on MDS/DIL about 9yo GD as I  see it. I have spoken to my sons about the girls hair and they are trying to do better. 

Though I "liked" this post, in general, I'm sorry that ODS' ILs publicly bashed him for cutting his DD's hair. It's not their business, and, IMO, he did a very wise thing. I hope he keeps it short for the child's sake and ignores the critics.

I'm also sorry about YDIL's mental health problem. I hope she's getting treatment for it.

When I am heading home from somewhere and I have to stop and get out of the car and run into a store for some small stupid item.

Esp. when I use to work, I just wanted to get home.   

My pet peeve (maybe my only one).

A cloudy, dreary winter day without any sunshine and the temp is in the 20's.  (at least the wind isn't blowing 30 or 40 mph) I don't mind cold if the sun will just shine.  The least it could do is release some moisture.  Heck we have had no rain in over 100 days.

Edited by SueSTx
1 person likes this