• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LaToyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
AndreaMSW

What would you do?

63 posts in this topic

I'll be as brief as i can - there is a long history with my MIL not respecting boundaries.  We used to get along quite well; however once DH and i bought our first home, she was way too involved and when our first child (her first grandchild) was born, our relationship took a turn for the worst.  There are huge jealousy issues with her   - she always seems to be competing with my mom (and she doesn't like my mom).  It's really a long story so i'll spare all the nitty gritty details.  

Ok to my point in question - DH and I have 3 children (our youngest is 5 months old).  When we first had children, we appointed DH's sister and her then husband to be the legal guardians of our children should something happen to us.  I quite like SIL and we get along great.  About 5 years ago, SIL and her husband separated and she has been with her current partner for about 3 years and they live together.  DH and I do not like SIL's current partner.  We can tolerate him for short periods of time, like a family dinner or something, but generally speaking, he's rude, obnoxious, and quite frankly i think he's a high functioning alcoholic.  Our son is 6 and has high functioning autism and ADHD so he's a handful at times.  During one gathering, SIL's partner said he would smack our DS and doesn't understand why we don't.  So needless to say, if something happened to us, we would not want him raising our children.   So DH and I changed our will to appoint my older sister and her husband legal guardians.  our lawyer asked us if anyone would contest this aspect of our will if something happened to us and we both said yes, MIL probably would.  So it was suggested that we give her the heads up.

DH took the kids camping up north over the summer close to where his parents live...i generally won't go visit them anyway with him, but i wasn't along this time because i was nearly  9 months pregnant.  during this trip, DH told MIL and FIL that we changed our will to reflect that we would want my sister and her husband to be guardians, not SIL and her current partner.  MIL was apparently a little upset by this.  but the bigger concern i have is that  SIL does not yet know we changed our will.

I know it wouldn't be an easy conversation to have with SIL, but i strongly feel we should tell her.  Really she's the only one on both sides of the family who doesn't know yet.  DH and i were going to tell her, but MIL actually forbid DH from telling SIL.  to me this is a boundary issue because it's not her business really and whether we tell SIL or not i feel is our decision, not MIL's decision.  DH refuses to discuss it with me.  i wouldn't go behind his back and tell SIL and i do understand that MIL is probably trying to protect SIL's feelings; however SIL is an adult and i actually think she'd understand.  SIL does not have children of her own.  she and her ex tried for years and suffered several miscarriages.  Her current partner had a vasectomy when he was 30.  She said awhile ago that she has made her peace with not having children and said that she and her partner actually like that because they are free to travel, etc.  i think she'd understand our choice.  

So my options are to try and get DH to talk to me about it again or i should i try to talk to MIL directly?  I'm more upset that DH has allowed my MIL to make this decision for us.  sorry so long and thanks if you made it this far.

WOWZERS....and welcome... @AndreaMSW

This isn't any of MIL's business, if I were you I'd never bring this up to MIL, she has TMI as it is...however, this is a DuH problem (snarky for clueless DH, sorry). not an MIL problem. Your SIL probably already knows, as your MIL considers herself central to everyone and everything...

Sit DH down, make it clear that his mother has no 'dog in this fight', so her opinion is not a deciding factor. This is between you, DH & SIL...the hard part is telling her you don't trust her partner with your children. SIL will more likely be upset by not being told before everyone else on the planet than she will over the change of guardianship. Let her know she'd always be a part of your kids' lives yet this option takes the pressure off of her partner to navigate the very challenging task of childrearing.

5 people like this

Good points - I certainly would not want to tell SIL that it's because we don't like her partner (though she may guess that) we'd phrase it in a way that we are trying to respect the lifestyle of both of them - her partner made it clear he would never want children.  and i agree she will probably be more hurt that everyone else seems to know when really from the very beginning the only person that really needed to know are her and my sister and her husband.  

MIL has likely not told her.  it's very complicated but you're right that MIL considers herself to be central to everything.  SIL is actually rather guarded with her mom, which bothers MIL.  I have not shared this with DH but i think MIL likes the "power" of knowing something that is really central to SIL's life but that SIL does not know.  When SIL and her ex husband decided to throw away a rug that MIL had given them because it smelled like dog pee, they did not tell her and just put it on the curb for garbage collection - MIL saw it sitting there and was so upset that they would throw this away without consulting her first that she didn't talk to them for a month (just to give you an idea of what we are all dealing with).  oh and thanks for the welcome :) 

Consider printing this out to show DH...it may help him see that his mother is rather domineering without her children's best interests at heart.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

...our lawyer asked us if anyone would contest this aspect of our will if something happened to us and we both said yes, MIL probably would.

I'm not sure why you didn't say, "SIL would" - she's the one having this honor 'taken away" from her, so to speak. This suggests to me that MIL is given too much power in DH's FOO.

MIL actually forbid DH from telling SIL.

How? He's a grown man! MIL can say, "I forbid it!" all she wants, and DH can still do whatever he chooses. Is he that afraid of the drama she might cause if he goes against her? Or could he have been looking for a "reason" not to tell SIL b/c he, himself, is, understandably, worried about hurting her?

As Mame points out, this isn't any of MIL's concern. DH needs, IMO, to ignore her "orders" and let SIL know about the change. I think framing it as something you're doing b/c of lifestyle preferences is a good idea. And, for all you know, given her new circumstances, SIL may be relieved. But even if SIL reacts badly, iMO, you need to be prepared to stick to your guns for your children's sake. it's very kind and sensitive of the 2 of you to be concerned w/ SIL's feelings. But, IMO, the welfare of your children comes first.

ETA: But you can't force DH to agree to tell SIL, of course. And she's his sister, after all. You can only talk to him about it and hope you get through.

Also, perhaps he needs to tell XBIL, as well?

Edited by RoseRed135

Yes, she has a lot of power in DH's FOO.  DH does not bow down to her in an obvious way (most of the time anyway) but he has difficulty confronting her on anything.  After DD (our oldest child) was born, her behavior was obnoxious and atrocious (refused to leave delivery room though i did not want her there, etc) - DH understood why i was mad but he has never once spoken to her about that (but i have of course).  

back to the issue at hand - DH is definitely not wanting to say something to SIL because MIL asked him not to...but you're right in that it's also because he doesn't want to hurt her feelings.  I don't want to hurt her feelings either, but i feel like at some point she is going to find out anyway and she'll be more hurt that we didn't tell her.

Ex BIL knows  though because at the time we drafted our original will, the lawyer actually put SIL and whomever she may be residing with or partner...something along those lines. he's not mentioned by name because divorces happen.  When SIL and ex BIL had decided to separate, they told us before they told anyone else because we had just drafted our will and they wanted us to know in case that would change anything for us.

7 hours ago, AndreaMSW said:

I'll be as brief as i can - there is a long history with my MIL not respecting boundaries.  We used to get along quite well; however once DH and i bought our first home, she was way too involved and when our first child (her first grandchild) was born, our relationship took a turn for the worst.  There are huge jealousy issues with her   - she always seems to be competing with my mom (and she doesn't like my mom).  It's really a long story so i'll spare all the nitty gritty details.  

Ok to my point in question - DH and I have 3 children (our youngest is 5 months old).  When we first had children, we appointed DH's sister and her then husband to be the legal guardians of our children should something happen to us.  I quite like SIL and we get along great.  About 5 years ago, SIL and her husband separated and she has been with her current partner for about 3 years and they live together.  DH and I do not like SIL's current partner.  We can tolerate him for short periods of time, like a family dinner or something, but generally speaking, he's rude, obnoxious, and quite frankly i think he's a high functioning alcoholic.  Our son is 6 and has high functioning autism and ADHD so he's a handful at times.  During one gathering, SIL's partner said he would smack our DS and doesn't understand why we don't.  So needless to say, if something happened to us, we would not want him raising our children.   So DH and I changed our will to appoint my older sister and her husband legal guardians.  our lawyer asked us if anyone would contest this aspect of our will if something happened to us and we both said yes, MIL probably would.  So it was suggested that we give her the heads up.

DH took the kids camping up north over the summer close to where his parents live...i generally won't go visit them anyway with him, but i wasn't along this time because i was nearly  9 months pregnant.  during this trip, DH told MIL and FIL that we changed our will to reflect that we would want my sister and her husband to be guardians, not SIL and her current partner.  MIL was apparently a little upset by this.  but the bigger concern i have is that  SIL does not yet know we changed our will.

I know it wouldn't be an easy conversation to have with SIL, but i strongly feel we should tell her.  Really she's the only one on both sides of the family who doesn't know yet.  DH and i were going to tell her, but MIL actually forbid DH from telling SIL.  to me this is a boundary issue because it's not her business really and whether we tell SIL or not i feel is our decision, not MIL's decision.  DH refuses to discuss it with me.  i wouldn't go behind his back and tell SIL and i do understand that MIL is probably trying to protect SIL's feelings; however SIL is an adult and i actually think she'd understand.  SIL does not have children of her own.  she and her ex tried for years and suffered several miscarriages.  Her current partner had a vasectomy when he was 30.  She said awhile ago that she has made her peace with not having children and said that she and her partner actually like that because they are free to travel, etc.  i think she'd understand our choice.  

So my options are to try and get DH to talk to me about it again or i should i try to talk to MIL directly?  I'm more upset that DH has allowed my MIL to make this decision for us.  sorry so long and thanks if you made it this far.

This isn't the 1800's, your husband didn't make the decision for you- All you had to do was pick up the phone and talk to your sister in-law- Sounds to me like you're trying to pass the buck, to shun your accountability- You complain that your mother in-law doesn't respect your boundaries but from what I'm reading it appears you don't respect your sister in-law -- the woman who agreed to be responsible for your children should something happen to you-

51 minutes ago, AndreaMSW said:

Yes, she has a lot of power in DH's FOO.  DH does not bow down to her in an obvious way (most of the time anyway) but he has difficulty confronting her on anything.  After DD (our oldest child) was born, her behavior was obnoxious and atrocious (refused to leave delivery room though i did not want her there, etc) - DH understood why i was mad but he has never once spoken to her about that (but i have of course).  

back to the issue at hand - DH is definitely not wanting to say something to SIL because MIL asked him not to...but you're right in that it's also because he doesn't want to hurt her feelings.  I don't want to hurt her feelings either, but i feel like at some point she is going to find out anyway and she'll be more hurt that we didn't tell her.

Ex BIL knows  though because at the time we drafted our original will, the lawyer actually put SIL and whomever she may be residing with or partner...something along those lines. he's not mentioned by name because divorces happen.  When SIL and ex BIL had decided to separate, they told us before they told anyone else because we had just drafted our will and they wanted us to know in case that would change anything for us.

SIL is owed an explanation of the change and I agree, telling her because of her and SO life choices, them saying they don't want kids is the way to go here. Also, her being the ONLY one in the family who doesn't know is going to cause some hurt feelings. She should have been the FIRST one besides you and DH. She went out of her way to be there for you, should you have needed her, and you two are not showing her the same respect, nor courtesy. MIL has NO say in who you tell and when. It's too late for her to be the first to know but she does need to hear it and from you (two). And an apology for not letting telling her sooner but the sooner the better anyway. Of course, there still could be hurt feelings because when she finds out and if she tells her family, she'll also find out they all already knew.

MIL did not "ask DH' she flat out told him, according to the OP, she FORBID him. That is ridiculous in and of itself, FORBIDDING a grown man and woman from telling someone important info they had more right to know than MIL herself. Laughable.

8 hours ago, AndreaMSW said:

DH and i were going to tell her, but MIL actually forbid DH from telling SIL.  to me this is a boundary issue because it's not her business really and whether we tell SIL or not i feel is our decision, not MIL's decision.

2 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

This isn't the 1800's, your husband didn't make the decision for you- All you had to do was pick up the phone and talk to your sister in-law- Sounds to me like you're trying to pass the buck, to shun your accountability- You complain that your mother in-law doesn't respect your boundaries but from what I'm reading it appears you don't respect your sister in-law -- the woman who agreed to be responsible for your children should something happen to you-

Granted, Andrea and her DH are both responsible for this decision. So technically, she could inform SIL, herself.  But posters here often advise an OP to let their spouse handle their own FOO. So maybe, in the end, that's what Andrea needs to do.

Andrea, how do you feel about this? And how would DH react if you went ahead and told SIL on your own?

Posted (edited)

quote from: AndreaMSW

"So my options are to try and get DH to talk to me about it again or i should i try to talk to MIL directly?  I'm more upset that DH has allowed my MIL to make this decision for us."

IMHO, Your ML has nothing to do with this. Leave her out of it from this point forward.

ETA: Sorry Komorebi...I did not catch the misquote. I think I fixed it, well it wouldn't let me fix it but I changed it to show the correct person I quoted.

Thanks Rose for pointing it out.

Edited by Cupcake55

Posted (edited)

For some reason, the quote above came out incorrectly. It 's a partial quote of the OP's post, not Komorebi's.

ETA: I see that you've managed to fix it, @Cupcake55. You're welcome & thanks! :)

Edited by RoseRed135
1 person likes this

8 hours ago, AndreaMSW said:

Really she's the only one on both sides of the family who doesn't know yet.  DH and i were going to tell her, but MIL actually forbid DH from telling SIL.  

To me this is where the problem is.  You changed your will, I think the only two people that needed to know were your SIL and your sister.  I'm not sure I see this as a problem with your MIL.  You are bringing your MIL directly into this.  I'm not sure why you would need to talk to her directly, about what, this doesn't involve her.  Your MIL hasn't really made any decisions, your DH has spoken to your MIL and is following her advice, that's actually his decision.  It shouldn't matter if MIL forbids your DH from saying anything - the two of you should decide on what course of action to take and then do it.

I think a lot of your problems would stop if you and your DH decided for yourselves on what you want to do and then do it.  If it doesn't directly involve your MIL then there is no need to discuss it with her.  If you do want her advice, then it's ok to listen but it doesn't mean you have to follow her advice, they are not orders.  You and your DH still have the choice to handle things how you want.  If your DH insists on doing what MIL wants then this is more a DH problem.

22 minutes ago, RoseRed135 said:

Granted, Andrea and her DH are both responsible for this decision. So technically, she could inform SIL, herself.  But posters here often advise an OP to let their spouse handle their own FOO. So maybe, in the end, that's what Andrea needs to do.

Andrea, how do you feel about this? And how would DH react if you went ahead and told SIL on your own?

Look at the mess this OP made by leaving it up to her husband to handle the matter with his family- Obviously thats not what she needed to do unless it was her intention to hurt her sister in-law- 

Posted (edited)

I guess its ok to call out somone elses husband for being sexually inappropriate but ok to advise women to be quiet when its their own husband who is doing the hurting -- and then pretend they, the wives, didnt take part in the harming-

Edited by Komorebi

Posted (edited)

You know your MIL better, so you would know if she would use this information to cause problems between you and your SIL.  If everyone in the family knows except for SIL do you think your MIL would ever spill the beans and play the innocent victim and then place you as the bad guy, people are generally less willing to blame their own family member's when things go wrong, it's usually easier to blame the CIL.  

If your SIL does find out from someone other than you, she will be hurt and it could at this point potentially damage your relationship with her.  That's a lot of power you are giving to your MIL.  Can you trust her to not play games?  

Edited to add I also think you should apologize for not telling her sooner.  Your SIL is also guarded with her own mother for a reason. You know SIL doesn't divulge information to MIL but you've done that regardless.  That's also part of why I would apologize.

Edited by Layla

1 hour ago, Layla said:

Can you trust her to not play games?  

Edited to add I also think you should apologize for not telling her sooner.  Your SIL is also guarded with her own mother for a reason. You know SIL doesn't divulge information to MIL but you've done that regardless.  That's also part of why I would apologize.

Sounds like MIL likes knowing something SIL doesn't know...could make her feel superior since MIL hates that their relationship is guarded.

Everything else I agree with Layla...

This isnt a mother in-law issue, its a husband issue- The husband spilled the beans- He spoke with his mother instead of his sister, he listened to his mother regarding  not to tell her- Thats cowardly-

Oh my...a lot for me to respond to.  I think you all are correct in that i am passing the buck to some extent.  I didn't look at it at that way.  However to RoseRed's point, we generally try to be the ones to deal with our own FOO.  It's my job to deal with my family, DH's job to deal with his.  However obviously in this situation that hasn't worked out for us well or me well, or SIL well.  The only reason why we told MIL at all was because the lawyer advised that we tell anyone who may contest the change in will upon our deaths...MIL was the only one i could think of that hypothetically if something happened, would challenge that.   that's why she was told.

I did speak to DH last night, he is still adamant he doesn't want to tell her.  I will tell her myself, with an apology for not telling her sooner..i'll spare explaining why we didn't tell her sooner because then thats just really making excuses for it.  I don't think DH will be happy with me...but i will do so.  thanks for the input...i think I needed a big kick in the behind to move on this.  and funny i never realized how much i blame MIL for...she only has this much power because we've allowed her to

1 person likes this

You've made a difficult decision, Andrea. I think you're very brave. Please let us know how it pans out.

1 person likes this

Andrea, I'm sorry you had to be the one to make that choice. I think it is the right choice though. I get why the lawyer/person assisting you with the change suggested that you tell MIL, specifically because of concern that she would try to contest the will and make things much more difficult in an already difficult time. I know you want to avoid that in the event that this guardianship would ever have to be legally executed. That being said, I suspect that there may have been a communication issue. I'm guessing they didn't mean to tell MIL and NOT tell SIL. I think they suggested you tell MIL to avoid conflicts later on just in case. But I think the FIRST person you  guys should have notified is SIL. I think there are ways to communicate it to her gently in a way that she will understand. Including telling her that you know that it is a lot of responsibility and the fact that she has recently acknowledged that they like their freedom and the ability to travel was one of the reasons that you and DH decided it was best for everyone if you changed the guardianship. If it comes down to it you can tell her that it has to do with her partner, but I don't get the sense that is the only reason. If it is, be honest with her. But you don't have to say "we don't like your partner", rather you could say that when you originally chose her and her then dh as your guardians, they were in a different place in life, and now she has had some major life changes that led you to believe it was better to choose your sister. Etc. 

I think though, if she doesn't already know from MIL, if she finds out that she is the last to know she will be very hurt. And not telling her at all is just playing with fire. 

3 people like this

12 minutes ago, BlueEyedGirl said:

That being said, I suspect that there may have been a communication issue. I'm guessing they didn't mean to tell MIL and NOT tell SIL. I think they suggested you tell MIL to avoid conflicts later on just in case. But I think the FIRST person you  guys should have notified is SIL. I think there are ways to communicate it to her gently in a way that she will understand. Including telling her that you know that it is a lot of responsibility and the fact that she has recently acknowledged that they like their freedom and the ability to travel was one of the reasons that you and DH decided it was best for everyone if you changed the guardianship. If it comes down to it you can tell her that it has to do with her partner, but I don't get the sense that is the only reason. If it is, be honest with her. But you don't have to say "we don't like your partner", rather you could say that when you originally chose her and her then dh as your guardians, they were in a different place in life, and now she has had some major life changes that led you to believe it was better to choose your sister. Etc. 

I think though, if she doesn't already know from MIL, if she finds out that she is the last to know she will be very hurt. And not telling her at all is just playing with fire. 

I don't think the lawyer was asking us not to tell SIL  - I think it was probably assumed we would do so because that's what most people would do.  I really regret that we did not tell her sooner....i had wanted to tell her first, DH and MIL said no...however that's no excuse i still went along with it.  I would not come right out and say it's because we don't like her partner.  in addition to reasons already mentioned (she's just in a different place), my son also has special needs.  Though he has been diagnosed with high functioning autism, and in many ways he's just like any other 6 year old but there are some additional challenges that my sister would be able to handle and address.  She's great with him...SIL's partner once threatened to smack him and has made it no secret that he's a fan of corporal punishment, which we are against...so it's just different parenting approaches too.

DH still thinks that SIL is unlikely to ever find out but i don't think that should be our reason for not telling her.  because she could find out..the topic is likely to come up at some point and then what?  We changed our will 6 months ago...it's already been too long. and when i do tell her, i will sincerely apologize for not telling her first.  I am not going to tell MIL that we are telling her and i'm not going to tell SIL that MIL asked DH not to say anything.  If SIL ends up telling MIL, that's fine but i'm not adding to an already difficult situation.  Thank you for your input

2 people like this

If your DH really thinks that she won't find out, I think he's trying to fool himself. I think he would probably like to think that it won't come out, but things like that have a way of getting out unfortunately. Sometimes it's just better to bite the bullet and deal with it so you don't have something worse to deal with later.  I stand by you telling her. Can you imagine if God forbid something did happen to you guys and they had to execute the guardianship and SIL is over there thinking it's going to be her and she's told by the lawyer that you guys changed it. I think that's so much worse. 

And to backtrack a little, I hope I didn't come across as pushy or anything. I'm certainly not judging you or anything you guys have done. Family interactions are so sticky to begin with, it's often very difficult to navigate without hitting a roadblock or two. I think you have a good plan!

1 person likes this

Wow, what a messy situation.

Although it is of no help now, I do not agree AT ALL with your lawyer about telling people who might contest.  If they are the type of people who would contest a fully executed, written document, then I suspect that you telling them what is says in advance is not going to change that tendency.  They will just brow beat you to try to get their way while you are still around!

If this was me, so long as my sister knew that she is designated, I would defer to DH on handling his sister.  If DH were to override me with something about my family, I would be extremely upset.  I think he deserves the same consideration.  Yes, SIL deserves to know but that is her brother's call.  Having said that, my DH is not controlled by MIL - it unfortunately sounds like yours is to some degree.  It sounds like his decision is really an extension of MIL's opinion.  THAT is the part that you two need to work on it seems.

3 people like this

Part of me wonders if MIL didn't/doesn't want SIL told because IF something does happen to you and DH and SIL was never told the will had been changed, she'd be right in saying she always thought she was going to get child custody in the event something did happen and then MIL could help her fight for your kids against your sis.

1 person likes this

You can't un-ring this bell, but if you were concerned about your MIL contesting your will regarding guardianship of your children, you/DH could write a letter as an attachment to the will which confirms your decision that your sister/BIL raise your children should you both pass before them when they are minors.   Separately, you could have just talked to your sister/BIL and your SIL about this part of your will.  Your MIL had no business being involved in any of this.  You/DH involving her is just playing into a power - center of the hub - position your MIL has held in DH's FOO. (My mom is similar to your MIL, so I get how this works and know how to navigate around it and to lock down the info so she never gets involved.   Having all the Information and gathering information to pick and choose how it is used or handed out to others in the family is what matters to people like this.) 

Further, I would not damage the most important relationship in all of this which your marriage to DH by telling your SIL about the change in the will, against his wishes.  That can be put on hold while you and DH work on coming to an agreement about this.  He has been raised that his mom's approval matters most, and she is the controller/holder in chief of all FOO's communication, so this may require a bit of time and talk to work through. 

1 person likes this