• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
SueSTx

We are all so tired of "holiday" leftovers

11 posts in this topic

A member sent a PM asking for our ladies luncheon menu.  It was really boring, but so good.  Remember we are all senior citizens and their mothers mostly.

Meatloaf with a mustard sauce---extra yummy

Potatoes Au Gratin---delish

Broccoli and Apple salad---colorful

Hot Rolls and Cornbread

Fruit tray 

Rocky Road Brownie---gooey and yummy

Pear Cobbler with Gingerbread Topping

all homemade made from scratch

The men is this community will be getting a sandwich for supper cause the ladies are still too full from lunch. 

1 person likes this

But i bet it will be a good sandwich if you have any leftovers from this lunch! Sounds yummy! :)

Sounds great....the broccoli apple slaw is so good.

My friend makes this WW beef soup all winter long. I modified the recipe for our family (some don't eat certain canned foods). For this weekend we already have our food tasks, but decided this would make an easy frugal lunch.

For about 16 servings: Chop 8 scrubbed carrots, 6 scrubbed potatoes, 8 stalks celery, and 2 big yellow onions. In large pot, saute vegetables in a tiny bit of oil, long enough to completely soften the onions. Add 4 cup strong broth (recipe says 2 cans beef consomme), 2 46oz cans V-8,  4 lbs browned drained hamburger. Then add 4 cups cooked navy beans, 1/2 lb cooked drained crumbled bacon, 1 fine chopped onion sauteed, 1/2 cup molasses, 2 1/2t  dry mustard, 3/4t pepper (recipe says 2 cans baked beans). Simmer until done (30 minutes or so).

We serve with cornmeal muffins and raspberry-applesauce.

ETA: 4c cooked navy beans is about 1 1/2c dry, before we soak in water a few hours and cook in salt-free broth, then drain and add as if using 2 16oz cans of beans.

Edited by JanelleK

Yummmmmmy

When I make a goulash or soup that just lacks enough flavor, I will add a can of spicy V-8...it seems to add a slight punch.

1 person likes this

My Doctor put me on a diet that cuts all gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, corn, tomatoes, white potatoes, refined sugar, peanuts, most meats except organic chicken and fish. In a month I may add foods back one at the time over 4-5 days. Then the next food etc. Hopefully it will only take 3-4 months on restricted diet to pinpoint an allergy. What I can eat: unprocessed fruit and veg, brown rice, sweet potatoes, dried beans, chicken, and salmon. 

Certainly not holiday food, recipe ideas?

eta: A bit of the problem is that I'm slight and have not an ounce of extra weight to spare. I'm finding food horrible to think about much less eat. Supposedly we should be able to find a non-dairy, non-soy, non-egg meal replacement liquid without refined sugar or any chemicals - but no luck thus far. Adding: my husband thinks we might could make something to drink, using the blender. Maybe like a smoothy? We've never had such, sounded horrid, but it's sounding better. We looked at the internet for recipes and have reverted to horrid. Maybe someone knows of a recipe (using my challenged list of foods) that tastes acceptable enough to drink for sustenance?

To Komo's ideas below, pasta is a daily food here. Bean pasta is fine. My husband was going to attempt garbanzo flour pasta, however we have to figure out non-dairy, non-tomato sauces. My Italian husband is fairly stuck in a traditional rut with tomatoes, onions, garlic, cream, cheese. We do make fabulous vegan pesto.

Edited by JanelleK

Yep ..

Organic chicken and vegetable stock is readily available in boxes- Not that the vegetable broth is difficult to make, or costly, but organic chicken is -- in our neck of the woods- Both can be used to flavor pretty much anything, can be frozen in ice cube trays then stored in their own ziplocks/freezer containers- Sweet potato / yam can take on different flavors depending on how it's prepared, boiled, grilled, roasted, sauteed or mashed- There's also purple and yellow / white sweet potato for variety and a descent selection of bean pastas, the only ingredients they contain: beans, water- When boiling either, broth can be added for additional flavor-

Chicken Marsala can be made without flouring the chicken and replacing the prosciutto with a scant handful of rinsed capers- Wine can be replaced with bit of vinegar -- the dish pairs nicely with wild rice and herbs-

Edited by Komorebi

grilled salmon or chicken salad with a balsamic reduction works well...add whatever you are allowed into the salad (beans, beets, mandarin orange, gluten free pasta etc) along with the veggies & protein.

for the balsamic reduction, simmer balsamic vinegar until it is reduced by half and will coat a spoon...It sticks to the salad ingredients just like a fatty, processed dressing.

Janelle, you might try googling  plant based living or diets, there is a also  website I think it's called fork over knife. They have many tips you may be able to use. Will ask DD if she has any info, she lives vegan, and very health conscious. I'm not much help I'm a meat, potato and ice cream girl.

I'm just being difficult, the foods on the acceptable list are fine, so thanks to ^^ you all. 

We're quite used to cooking sugar-free, vegetarian, vegan, egg free, dairy free, gluten-free, preservative-free, etc. Everybody in my family has some restriction or other. I think It's daunting, for me, to have all the restrictions at once for one person.

None of our usual substitutes work. And no tomatoes (that's a killer), no whole wheat bread flour (I make bread everyday), no pasta flour and on and on. At any rate it will all be fine, we can discard ingredients until we meet success!

1 person likes this

Yep, also used to adhering to others restrictions and preferences when preparing food for them- It was quite a different story learning to prepare differently for me -- especially the elimination of the tomato and bread- And pasta .. But after all was said and done, after eliminating foods and reintroducing them, it actually just came down to learning to eat a wider variety than too much of one thing -- like tomato and bread .. and pasta- While there's a ton of information online, and sites that inspire one to prepare this or that, I discovered that there is nothing like borrowing cookbooks from the library -- especially the ones with the little blurbs beside or above each recipe that provides a little history-

Perhaps, for me personally, what it boiled down to was learning to appreciate the opportunity to prepare food for me after years of preparing food for everyone else and eating what they like and/or eating according to their restrictions-