• Announcements

    • LaToyaADMIN

      Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

      We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

      PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

      Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
Mame925

Old Friend Returns

8 posts in this topic

A guy I've known since middle school did a friend request on FB...actually, it was a "refriend"...I unfriended him awhile ago because of political rantings generally and some aggressive behavior on our high school class page (which I manage). 

I accepted his friend request. He thanked me. I replied that since we'd know each other so long that it seemed a shame to just let it go, especially because of the large circle of friends we share. However, I set some boundaries about his political rantings as that's not what I use FB for... and that I'd add him to class page again as long his behavior there was socially appropriate...He proceeded to JADE...big time....so rather than engage...I said:

"Your opinions are just as valid as anyone's. That said, I've stated my boundaries and hope you will respect them moving forward. "

Thought?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, now you'll see what he does, Mame. Technically, he can go into "political rants" on his own FB page if he wants to, as I understand it, but you (general) don't have to let yourself be subjected to it if you don't want. If he starts again, you (personal) can always unfriend him again. Or, as you may/may not realize you can "unfollow" him, so that he's still on your friend's list and vice versa, but you won't generally see his posts.

As for the class page, IMO, since you manage it, he really needs to stay w/in the limits that you've set. If he doesn't, can/would you report his behavior to FB or have him removed from the page?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, RoseRed135 said:

As for the class page, IMO, since you manage it, he really needs to stay w/in the limits that you've set. If he doesn't, can/would you report his behavior to FB or have him removed from the page?

I can just remove him from the page. We mostly use that page for personal updates, births, deaths, marriages and are starting to plan our next class reunion. There is no place for politics on it. When he was on there before he was bossy & badgering about while planning our last reunion and he wasn't even on the committee...he's really a PIA, but our class, as a rule, is quite close, we suffered several losses of classmates during our senior year that has kept us bonded all these years...As well, small town, one high school...there were so many complaints about him he had to go...we'll see how he does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mame925 said:

I can just remove him from the page. We mostly use that page for personal updates, births, deaths, marriages and are starting to plan our next class reunion. There is no place for politics on it. When he was on there before he was bossy & badgering about while planning our last reunion and he wasn't even on the committee...he's really a PIA, but our class, as a rule, is quite close, we suffered several losses of classmates during our senior year that has kept us bonded all these years...As well, small town, one high school...there were so many complaints about him he had to go...we'll see how he does.

Sorry about the loss of all those classmates. The close bond is beautiful though.

Hopefully, you won't have to remove this guy from the page again. But if you have to, you have to. If he can't/won't respect the boundaries, that will be on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not like he wasn't clearly warned

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see that. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And less than 24 hours he's been unfriended...He relentlessly challenged every single thing I said, accused me of being judgmental and having a superior air...no thanks...that's not what Facebook is for me...so, out ya go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mame925 said:

And less than 24 hours he's been unfriended...He relentlessly challenged every single thing I said, accused me of being judgmental and having a superior air...no thanks...that's not what Facebook is for me...so, out ya go.

Good for you!

Some people just never learn... sigh...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now