• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
annierobyn

Low carb low salt recipes

10 posts in this topic

Hubby had a heart attack Wed evening. He’s home he will be fine but many changes to his diet must be made. He is diabetic so we need yummy easy recipes that are tasty yet low carb and low salt. I’m not very good in the kitchen with ideas but I can follow a recipe.

many thanks.

Edited by annierobyn

@annierobyn-  OMG! So sorry about DH's heart attack! Glad he's ok now, but you must have been worried sick! I can't think of any dish that would help offhand, but I'll look around. And I'm sure others will come in w/ some good recipes.

Here's hoping for his full & speedy recovery! He'll be in my prayers...

Edited by RoseRed135

I'm sorry DH had a heart attack and glad he's recovering well.

I leave salt out of food when I have to cook for someone who eats a low salt diet. Lowering carbs in my house just means avoiding refined white flour, sugar, rice, pasta, etc and replacing with complex carbs that are whole wheat (flour, pasta), oats, barley, brown rice, and avoiding sugar. I bet there is something about heart healthy, low salt, low carb, low sugar foods on the internet.

I think you may be well served by avoiding anything pre-made/packaged vs homemade food from raw ingredients (no fast food). You probably have a sodium max number from the Cardiologist? You may want to read labels/tables and chart daily?

ETA: Good Luck. I have to read everything re: eggs and chemicals, it does become second nature quickly. You may want to be especially careful to leave soy sauce, Asian condiments, and Chinese food out of DH's diet.

Edited by JanelleK
2 people like this

Thank you Rosered x we were very lucky. Recognized the signs right away, got him to the heart institute where he underwent surgery the minute we got there. They were waiting for him. We are in awe and very humbled by the entire process. It could have gone very badly.

1 person likes this

Happy to hear the DH is recovering well. Janelle is spot on with how to cook for him...avoid the packaged, canned, process stuff...Go for as much fresh produce as possible...make your own salad dressings & sauces, surprisingly easy. Google might be your best friend....also, consider consulting with a registered dietitian...the heart institute will have quality recommendations.

1 person likes this

annie, I'm also glad that your husband is recovering well from his heart attach and surgery.  I am another that doesn't add salt to anything I cook.  If you do used canned vegeables, there are some labeled no salt added.

1 person likes this

Thank you for the concern and ideas. This is how we eat already.. Working with diabetic nurse re counting carbs and when he’s stronger will be seeing a dietician.

So sorry!  Wishing you both health!

Here is a recipe that I give to my clients--Yummy and healthy!

Avocado Chicken Salad 4 servings

Makes 4 servings
Per serving
1 Leaner
1 Healthy
2 Condiment

4- 6 ounce cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast
6 ounces avocado
¼ Cup chopped onion
4 Teaspoon lime juice
2 Tablespoon dried cilantro

You can eat it on toast, lettuce wraps or alone.

3 people like this

Annie, there's a book called The Flavor Bible that you might be able to borrow from the local library- It pairs both herbs and spices with foods, for example you could look up oregano to see what other herbs, spices and foods you could pair it with -- perhaps find combinations that you hadn't previously considered, they are infinite-

Salt brings out flavor, however, when there's plenty of added flavor there's less of an inclination to reach for the salt shaker / grinder -- should your husband be in the habit of doing so-

1 person likes this

So far his appetite is minimal enjoying egg substitute, strawberries and home made English muffins. Well 1/2. His GD is a chef and spent 8 hours on Satcooking and filling up our freezer with heart healthy meals. We are grateful.

3 people like this