• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
Komorebi

Magazines

17 posts in this topic

Do you enjoy paging through magazines? Have any favorites? Subscribe to any?

We used to get National Geographic- Tried Mother Earth News but canceled on that- My husband subscribed to a couple of historical mags- I love paging through Vogue and Elle, I adore clothing designs, from the late Alexander McQueen to chore coats by L. L. Bean- But my all time favorite magazine is Sunset Magazine, most especially the vintage copies- Totally envious!

1 person likes this

I have a subscription to Reader's Digest. I used to read my grandma's issue when I was at her house then got my own subscription. 

Someone I knew subscribed to Guidepost and when I spent the weekend with them at their cabin I used to read them by flashlight-

If the checkout line at the grocery is long sometimes I will reach for a magazine, sometimes Real Simple or those special editions of LIFE-

I subscribe to several. A favorite is "Reminisce" all stories are based on readers' memories of "the good old days", which now includes the 80s! I also enjoy "Real Simple". DH subscribed to "Sunset Magazine" for decades, but I finally let that one lapse...not sure why. I learned so much from it. We'd plan escapades from the articles...

For someone who never stepped foot on California soil .. I've lived vicariously through that magazine -- from time to time- I love it when a good book or magazine can transport me-  I'll have to check out Reminisce- If there's one thing I miss from childhood it's the quality of produce .. Occasionally I go to the farmer's market but even then it's hit or miss ..

2 hours ago, Komorebi said:

We used to get National Geographic- Tried Mother Earth News but canceled on that- My husband subscribed to a couple of historical mags- I love paging through Vogue and Elle, I adore clothing designs, from the late Alexander McQueen to chore coats by L. L. Bean- But my all time favorite magazine is Sunset Magazine, most especially the vintage copies- Totally envious!

Yes. I subscribe to Family Tree Magazine. I use to have a subscription to TV Guide.  

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Komorebi said:

I thought about getting National Geographic 

1 person likes this

We can include catalogs in the mix- I'm rediscovering just how much Google doesn't know- Years ago (pre-Amazonian) Oriental Trading and Lillian Vernon were popular catalogs- I purchased a Christmas pyramid from LV in the 80's- Now I get seed catalogs from a variety of companies-

Edited by Komorebi

15 minutes ago, USA16JR said:

Yes. I subscribe to Family Tree Magazine. I use to have a subscription to TV Guide.  

I used to LOVE the TV Guide crossword .. :)

1 person likes this

I was raised on TV guide and Readers Digest.  We teens had to wait in line to read the condensed book after mother and daddy finished.

Time and Life were also favorites for current event reports.

Now magazines are mostly ads and I only read People in the Drs office.

Texas Parks and Wildlife has beautiful pictures.

3 hours ago, Komorebi said:

For someone who never stepped foot on California soil .. I've lived vicariously through that magazine -- from time to time- I love it when a good book or magazine can transport me-  I'll have to check out Reminisce- If there's one thing I miss from childhood it's the quality of produce .. Occasionally I go to the farmer's market but even then it's hit or miss ..

Sounds like a West Coast vacation is in order....you could plan everywhere from Vancouver to Phoenix....

Ha, there are only two magazines I read regularly and one is Sports Illustrated! I've subscribed for years. I tell hubs it's for him, but I read it before he does. I read my Weight Watchers magazine cover-to-cover.

I do also get Sunset magazine. It's changed some, but the travel articles are SO good, and the photography is wonderful. Since I live on the West Coast I've benefited from their gardening articles over the years. I used to get their annual cookbooks, but don't use them anymore.

Edited by KayRinWA
addition

As I may have mentioned somewhere before, I have several collector & special edition magazines that I keep on a shelf in my livingroom. Other than that, we get TV Guide every month, these days, a Sunday newspaper, and that's it.I used to subscribe to a few mags, but, now, I generally buy them at the store, choosing whatever catches my attention. DH & I each do get certain monthly catalogues, but I realize that's not quite the same thing.

I used to reach for the Highlights magazines when taking the kids to the pediatrician -- loved the hidden pictures page- 

Edit: Huge fan of I Spy books ..

Edited by Komorebi

I have sent a subscription to my grand's before for the Highlights magazine.  I loves it as a child at the dentist office

Yes! We've done that, too. :)

Edited by RoseRed135