• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

What's your favorite type of Valentine's gift or...

15 posts in this topic

... do you like to spend that day/evening in any special way? Are you fine w/ "flowers and candy" while you go about your day as usual? Or do you prefer to go to dinner, give or receive something a little more expensive, such as a piece of jewelry? Or ??

Edited by RoseRed135

Isn't Valentines just another Hallmark Card Day?

Hubby and I got married on Valentines Day by his request so he could remember easier.  We usually go out to eat sometimes the week of our Bdays and Anniversary, but we don't make a big deal about the day.  If I remember, I will buy cards and send to the grands though.

We don't celebrate it- To be honest, I'm not sure I understand the significance of it- Yet, I adore the artwork and effort that went into vintage Valentines- I still have several that my parents exchanged back when they were young, several were handmade by my father who was an artist- I did send a Valentine to my mother ..

Edited by Komorebi

It used to be a 'bigger' deal in our house when the girls were little, we made cupcakes/cake in the shape of a heart, we got the girls something, and DH brought each of them a single rose and brought me a bouquet. Now that the girls are both old enough to have boyfriends, they are usually on dates or have some kind of Valentine's Day plans. DH and I usually try to plan a movie/dinner date at some point one weekend before or after. I absolutely LOATHE trying to go anywhere on the actual holiday - restaurants seem to jack prices up and its insane to try to get a table anywhere, even non-fast food type places that aren't fancy. DH and I both hate crowds and waiting forever to eat somewhere. So we usually aim to go somewhere on a less crazy date. (we do the same for Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc) We don't do much with flowers anymore, not because he wouldn't do it for me or that I don't like them, but with three cats, one of whom likes to eat flowers, we've stopped doing them because I have to put them somewhere out of sight and out of reach, which sort of defeats the purpose. The girls both close theirs up in their rooms. We don't usually worry too much about cards. We might curl up on the couch and watch a movie together on the weeknight. 

I have gifties for all 10 GK...since VDay is 2 days before first day of Chinese New Year, I found Asian tea cups with their Chinese Zodiac animal on them, white cups, red animals. I'm putting them in little bags with hearts on them & red tissue paper...I think they'll be a hit. I usually do conversation hearts for DD/DsD & cinnamon imperials for DS...

DH & I didn't do anything on THE DAY as prices went up on purpose, so we felt it was a rip off...we'd to something the weekends the kids were gone, then later on just when we felt like it....

One of the things I like best about Val Day is that DH and I keep it simple. I'll get him a card (he's hard to buy for); he'll get me a box of chocolates, etc. We'll either eat lunch out or order in (ordering in today). Meanwhile...

ETA: Can't seem to add this to my post below, so I'll do it here -  the V Day pic was retrieved from the Happy Valentine's Day Images website.

Edited by RoseRed135

images of valentines day

Edited by RoseRed135

I love Valentine's Day, and all holidays to be honest LOL!  A holiday that encourages us to show love is a great thing IMO.  I have always gotten DS/DD something, and hubby as well.  I try to make a trip back home to my favorite local candy shop and pick up the sweets, and this year there was a sale at a fun store where I got each of the kids and DH a little something they will love.  As for DH and myself, he brought me home flowers last night, I'm making Chicken Carbonara for dinner tonight, his favorite, and picking up cheesecake from the cheesecake factory for dessert at DS's request!  This weekend, while visiting home for a family event, DH and I have a night out planned for dinner and drinks!  Really looking forward to it! Each year is different for DH, sometimes I get a thoughtful card, other times a thoughtful gift.  Either way, its a little extra that makes me feel special and I really appreciate it! 

1 person likes this

My granddaughter made me a card and I think this will be my new favorite. It used to be chocolate.

1 person likes this

Today is also Ash Wednesday.  I can't remember the last time Valentines Day and Ash Wednesday fell on the same day.  Today will be a day of abstinence, fasting and church - not quite the makings of a winning Valentines Day in the commercial world at least.

I'm spending the day delivering Valentine gifties to the GK...and doing some of my shopping for my Chinese New Year dinner party Friday night. So I'll spend the afternoon in the car...ending with dinner with DD/#1GB...her DH gets home late.

We did our monthly Senior Ladies Lunch at church.  A smaller group than usual, but the "crude" is sill making it's rounds.

1 person likes this

DH & I don't observe Valentines Day. I took GS to get DD flowers, candy & card. DD was working from home today and GS & I surprised her and it made her day. It seems important to the younger people. I am all for a holiday that encourages love. 

1 person likes this

I had a lovely afternoon & evening...I saw 7 of the 10 GK...all loved their little gifties. Below is a pic of what I got them, along with some chocolate coins...DD made a great dinner.

chinese zodiac cups.jpg

2 people like this

18 hours ago, BSW said:

Today is also Ash Wednesday.  I can't remember the last time Valentines Day and Ash Wednesday fell on the same day.  Today will be a day of abstinence, fasting and church - not quite the makings of a winning Valentines Day in the commercial world at least.

I heard the last time was something like 1945!

Hope you had a peaceful day.