• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

PBS & the arts - should the Federal government drop them?

10 posts in this topic

I think it's awful- And odd, coming from a man whose own home is floor to ceiling crafted by individuals skilled in the arts-

How much unemployment do you think that would cause?

1 person likes this

There is a line in the film "Mr. Holland's Opus" when music teacher Mr. Holland (Richard Dreyfus) is call into the principal's office to be told his program is being cut and the money transferred to core programs his response is "that when you cut the arts, pretty soon there will be nothing to read or write about"...And I believe this is true. I belong to several music pages of FP and and a music site. I'm well acquainted with working musicians/songwriters, some college educated in other fields, but the arts are where their souls reside. A couple have written books about their issues & exploits. One, a Viet Nam vet who has made a living as a working musician all his life now runs an arts program for the public schools in his little home town in northern Alabama. He needs to be celebrated, not shoved to the side.

PBS has some fabulous drama series..."Downton Abbey" & Call the Midwife" spring to mind. 

1 person likes this

i personally donate to pjs how many of you above posters d0o?

Me. Or rather DH and me.

However, I don't think we need a show of hands. No one needs to divulge here what they do/do not donate towards unless they want to (but yes, I get the point of your questions, skipped).

Edited by RoseRed135

PBS offers donors PBS Passport- Technically it's a service for streaming set up to look like a membership perk- Either way, it costs to stream content- Finding Your Roots is a favorite-

1 person likes this

Ahem....it may not be prudent for me to respond given the GPs.com guidelines lol. I feel VERY STRONGLY about this. Considering the fact that not one but BOTH of my children intend to have careers in the arts I have a pretty strong stance. Let's put it this way, it's time that we look at ALL aspects of a child's education as CORE. Math, English, History and Science are very important (I have a STEM kid, come on!!) But the Arts, Health and PE and other areas also contribute to the growth of a child's mind and body. My youngest intends to combine Robotics and Music Therapy in an effort to improve prosthetics for the military - how is that for reaching across the entire educational spectrum. While we may not contribute directly monetarily to PBS, as a family we have contributed thousands of hours and quite a bit of money towards our local arts community over the years. We have spent sun up to sun down working the local arts fair, and built sets from scratch and hosted local choral festivals and created productions that to go out in to local elementary schools to tackle things like bullying and drugs. When will people recognize that while the arts may seem easily cut, they are, for many, CORE to their education and maybe if the government looked at their own internal spending on frivolous things and overpaying seated government big shots, they might be surprised just how much money they could miraculously unearth to cover instead of cut.  

Ahem.....stepping down off of my soapbox now. 

Edited by BlueEyedGirl
3 people like this

Many times just the small amount of "seed money" from a grant to a community for the arts is the way to revitalize a small town and create living wage jobs in small businesses.

Edited by missmm
1 person likes this

On 2/14/2018 at 4:29 AM, BlueEyedGirl said:

Ahem.....stepping down off of my soapbox now. 

You stay right up on that soapbox..

.my #1GB is already on the scouting lists for colleges and on the watch list for professional scouts for baseball...he has serious talent. He's 13...dance classes will be very helpful in an athletic career...he's already played one tournament season for Orlando Cepeda (a baseball god from the 60s)...Mr. Orlando & his sons hand pick their teams and while they are not scouts themselves, they know people who are...one phone call of 'come and look at this kid'...and GB will be on his way to a pro career...Major league minimum salary $500k...and that includes the utility guy who sits on the bench most of the time. At least that talent will pay for college, which is my first goal for him. #2GB wants to design cars that look vintage but have all the modern bells & whistles...#3GB wants to be a lawyer...which will entail some acting classes to help with his presentation skills...#1GG is a budding artist...girl has some serious skills for 7, drawing, scrapbooking with a great sense of color....the list goes on. The arts will help them all.

(about the dance in sports thing...Mr. Holland's Opus character "Bill" (Jay Thomas' character) was the football coach/PE teacher who minored in dance in college....it all ties together...)

I support our local classical radio station...the entire station relies on 'member support'...They went in that direction when too many rules were seriously cramping their style. I use the station at school to 'dial down' my students without them really being aware. They do have an online presence and are national award winners...