• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest

Daughter and grandson living with us.

4 posts in this topic

Hello I am 60 years old (pap is 63 and retired). Our daughter is a single mom to our grandson who is almost 7 years old. We all live together in our home. Our daughter works long hours so I have become his second mother. Believe me it is hard doing this again at my age.Is ther anyone else doing this too? My name is Yankee.

Hi Yankee! You will be hearing from many grandparents here who share in the full time care of their grandchild - and in many cases grandchildren. This is the perfect place to Read All About It! Our son is unmarried and the father of a 10 1/2 year old son. They have lived with us for almost 4 years (come March). I am the maternal figure in GS's life - but first I'm grandma. We get to experience all the joys of this child first hand. Yes, sometimes it's stressful. But very rewarding. Sometimes it's a challenge to make all this work smoothly ... so it's never dull. Bless you and your husband for welcoming your daughter and her son. Your daughter is a fortunate woman to have your support, and your grandson is truly blessed to have you and your husband in his life. You never know what will make a memory ... sometime it's the smallest thing. It might be just sharing a picture book or building a Lego creation. At times I do wish I could just be retired now - but on the other hand I wouldn't get the "I Love You Grandma" greetings each morning. We wouldn't miss this experience for the World! Good Luck! And God Bless You All!

Welcome Yankee! And I agree with itsbertha - You and your DH (dear husband)are wonderful to be helping out your DD (darling daughter)and GS (grandson) this way. While my DD doesn't live with me, I watch her children several days a week. And I know that while there are many challenges, there are also lots of rewards, as you 2 ladies described. Delighted that you chose to join us!

My daughter, son-in-law and twin 2 year old granddaughters live with my husband and I since May 09 and will probably leave around May of 10. We are both 63. I take care of the girls even when they were not living with us. I am caregiver when I am alone with them but Grandma when either one gets home from work. I then don't feed, diaper, clothe. I hug and cuttle and kiss and do all the grandma stuff. It has worked out so well. I am lucky though, I have lots of energy and have just lost 42 pounds so I do pretty well keeping up with them. I take time when they are napping to do sit down stuff like computer, read, crochet.