• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tedybearnana

Hi Prude

4 posts in this topic

Now, THAT is an original name, lol! What's up with you? Have you had a child or grandchild (or the entire family?) move back in with you? My son is STILL here, but working which is a big help. We had to support him and his bills for awhile before he found work. Let us know what brought you to our group. Good to meet you - Tedy (Pat)

Hi and welcome Prude. Does that name have a story behind it? We're dying to hear!

Hi, I have been a member because I thought the site had such great idea's when my husband and I had our grand-daughter who is now 7. My world has spinned out of control. My son and DIL (more like a loving daughter than any mother would love) had decided to separate after 9 year's. I encouraged marriage counselling but, they both were not working the program. Then my son moved out and BACK HOME WITH US. WE ARE IN THE WORST OF TIME'S WITH MOVING INTO AN APT. TO DOWNSIZE. WE WOULD NEVER THROW HIM OUT. Thet tried to work on seeing each other for date night's and we watched the "little one". She is very advanced as an only child and she only knew Daddy moved out to help with Pop-Pop who is recovering from Open Heart Surgery. I told them after a month, and she missed him so, to sit down and tell her the truth. She loves her Daddy and she has missed him so much. My DIL is so sad and bitter as they went and rushed into a :NO FAULT DIVORCE'. I HATE HOW SHORT OF A TIME PERIOD YOU CAN END IT ALL. I WISH THEIR HAD BEEN A LAW TO MAKE SEPARATION MINIMUM OF 6 MTHS. THEY WILL BE DIVORCED IN 3 MONTH'S, SHE IS LIVING IN THEIR PLACE AND MY GRAND-DAUGHTER SEE'S HIM EVERY WEEK FOR DINNER AND ONE OVERNIGHT ON THE WEEKEND. My heart is broken because she USED TO CALL me every day and then when I had back surgery that was so much more then expected, my DIL cooked, cleaned and she food shopped every single week. I TOLD HER ALL THE TIME HOW MUCH I LOVED HER. SHE LOST HER MOM WHEN SHE WAS 14YRS. AND HAD 2 OLDER BROTHER;S. HER DAD WAS NOT ACTIVE IN HER LIFE AND SHE DIDN;T HAVE A CLOSE AUNT. I was the closest woman she had and helped her with fashion and cooking my son;s favorite food's,but, stubborn is one of her worst problem's and not forgiving people if they make a mistake about anyone she love's. I AM SO SORRY HOW LONG THIS HAS GONE ON, BUT, AS YOU CAN IMAGINE I FEEL LIKE I LOST MY BEST FRIEND. MUCH WORSE AS MY GRAND-DAUGHTER IS THE LIGHT OF OUR LIVE'S. MY DIL JUST HAD A B'DAY AND WE WERE SUPPOSE TO GO OUT TO LUNCH WHEN SHE SHOCKED ME SO AND TOLD ME,"I AM SORRY BUT I CAN'T HAVE YOU IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW. SHE SAID, SHE IS IN AN UNHEALTHY PLACE AND SHE FEELS SEEING ME ONLY REMINDS HER OF MY SON. I CRIED MY EYE'S OUT AND I TOLD HER "I DIDN'T WANT TO DIVORCE HER". SHE SAID WE CAN MAKE PLAY DATES WITH THE LITTLE ONE AND SHE WON;T STOP THAT. MY SON IS FEELING SO MUCH LESS STRESS AS WHEN THEY WERE TOGETHER AND THINGS WERE GETTING BAD, HE FELT LIKE HE WAS LIVING WITH HER WANTING TO KNOW WHO HE WAS TALKING TO AND GOING ON HIS FACEBOOK AND IT ALL WAS NOT GOOD. I AM PRAYING MY GRAND-DAUGHTER WON;T BE DAMAGED FROM THIS AND THEY WON;T EVER SAY HORRIBLE THINGS THAT SHE WOULD HEAR. HE DOES NOT MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO HAVE HIS OWN PKLACE WITH THE MONEY HE HAS TO PAY FOR CHILD SUPPORT AND THEIR DEBTS THEY HAD OVER THE YEAR'S. WE ARE NOT IN ANY WAY IN A COMFORTABLE SITUATION AS MY HUSBAND AND I PRAYED FOR BUT, WE WILL ALWAYS BE THEIR FOR OUR SON AND GRAND-DAUGHTER. PLEASE SHARE ANY COMMENT'S OR IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING SIMILAR WITH LOSING A DIL THAT YOU LOVED

Janice - I'm SO sorry for the recent new problems in your life! I'm also sorry I wasn't here to answer you right away. I had surgery the 6th to replace my right entire shoulder - ball of upper arm and the shoulder bone it attaches to and am just starting to get back on the net. (I'll also send you a private message in hopes you'll know of my reply). I haven't had exactly your situation, though my son and his wife divorced 6-7 years ago and we ended up losing 3 step-grands, eventually over it that we loved very much. Turned out she would go out partying on nights he was working - he was a firefighter and was gone one night out of 3. We were devestated - tho not over losing her, at that point, but over the kids who we adored. He was definitely not perfect himself, but didn't deserve the way she did him. It sounds as if he might have been messing around - or at least, SHE thought he was to be snooping in his stuff. I know your DIL has crushed you with her abandonment of you, as well as your son - and I know that you two had been very close. I realize that your life is in flux with you, personally, at this time what with your downsizing, everyone being under the weather with heart and back operations, etc. and this is probably hitting you extra hard because of that, too. I wish I knew what to tell you. Obviously, your life is changing right under your feet and you feel very upset over this and your equilibrium is out of whack, emotionally. You, at least, ARE still seeing your precious GD - so that's a good thing. I know how hurt you are about what is happening and it was important for them to tell your GD the truth about the state of things since they weren't getting back together quickly. Hang on. There's always hope. If the reality is that it is a permanent breakup things will work out. Right now there is much hurt and confusion going on but it WILL get better. Have faith and turn your problem - or theirs - over to God to deal with in the way He needs to. If she's that hurt, there would seem to be hope, in my eyes, that she still cares about your son very much and possibly there is still room for reconciliation. If not, life will go on and all will adjust - in some way - over time. Serious life changes bring much hurt and fear and confusion,usually. Do your best to make the best of what is going on and give things time to settle down. I'll try to check in often now that I'm sort of recouping and will always be here for you. Hugs and prayers that all will work out for the best. Try to remember and accept that 'the best' might not match your personal hopes and dreams for the situation. There MAY be 'another' best out there. Keep me posted.