• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Guide to Acronyms and Other Definitions Common to Internet Forums

32 posts in this topic

This is a general guide to acronyms and other Internet terms commonly used on this site. You don't "have to" use acronyms, of course - while a lot of people, including me, like to do so, many others do not. Same w/ special Internet expressions. But if you'd like to - or if you'd just like to be better able to decipher other poster's acronyms/Internet expressions - I hope this is helpful.

The list begins in the "1st Reply" below and is organized into the following sections: "At the Front of an Acronym," "Body of an Acronym," "Middle or End of an Acronym," "Multiple Definitions" and "Random Acronyms and Other Internet Terms."  That last category also includes acronyms that seem to need more detailed explanation.

Some of the acronyms and phrases listed here are more likely to be used in one forum than another. For example, GRG (grandparents raising grandchildren) is more apt to come up in Grandparents Caring for Grandchildren and Empty Nest No Longer, while GPV (grandparent visitation) and GVR (grandparent visitation rights) are more likely to be found in Grandparents without Grandchildren, and "bean dip" (change the subject) seems to be said mostly here in MIL Anonymous. But any of these acronyms and Internet expressions could come up/can be used anywhere in this community.

ETA: Several acronyms, etc. have been added since this thread was first opened, either b/c I simply forgot them initially or I learned them, later, in the course of Internet conversation. If any other acronyms, etc. come up that I think need to be in here, I'll continue to add.. If you think of anything I left out or learn any new acronym etc.that fit in this community, please feel free to add it in a reply.

... Continued...

Edited by RoseRed135
size & add some thoughts

... Continuing....

At the Front of an Acronym - Some letters almost always mean the same when used in front of an acronym:

D - dear/darling - Exs: DH - dear/darling husband; DB - dear/darling brother

E - estranged - Exs: ED - estranged daughter, EF -estranged father, EGPs - estranged grandparents (but also see "E" under "Variations" in post 6 below)

F - family - Exs: FOO - family of origin (refers to the family someone came from/his or her "side" of the (extended) family; FOC - family of choice - people you choose to see/treat as "family," even if they are "just" friends

F- for - Exs: FTR - for the record; FWIW - for what it's worth; FYI - for your information

F- future - Exs: FDW - future dear wife; FDIL - future-daughter-in-law

FO - father(s) of - Exs: FOD - father(s) of daughter(s); FOS - father(s) of son(s)

G - grand - Exs: GM - grandmother; GP - grandparent; GS - grandson

G - grandparent(s) - Exs -  GRG - grandparents raising grandchildren, GPR - Grandparents' Rights  (usually refers to either GP custody or visitation laws or both - these laws vary by state), GPV - Grandparent Visitation,  GVR - Grandparents Visitation Rights (usually refers to GP visitation laws, if any, in this/that state)

GG - great-grand - Exs: GGD - great-granddaughter; GGF - great-grandfather; GGP -great-grandparent

I - I - Exs: IDC - I don't care; IDK - I don't know; IDKY - I don't know why; ITA - I totally agree

I - in - Exs: IME - in my experience; IMO & IMHO - in my opinion & in my humble opinion; IOWs - in other words; IRL - in real life

L - laugh/laughing - Exs: LOL - laugh(ing) out loud; LMA/BO - laughing my a-word/butt off; ROFL - rolling on floor laughing (Of course, one can also use this smiley: :rofl: )

LD - long distance - Exs - LDGC - long distance grandchild/ren, LDGP - long distance grandparent

M (in front of a GP acronym) - maternal - Exs: MGM - maternal grandmother; MGP - maternal grandparent

M (in front of any other relative acronym) - middle - Exs: MDD - middle dear daugther; MDB - middle dear brother (also see "O" and "Y" under Multiple Definitions below)

MO - mother(s) of - Exs: MOD - mother(s) of daughter(s); MOS - mother of son(s)

O - off - Exs: OTR - off the record; OT - off topic (but also see OT under "Multiple Definitions" below.)

P (in front of a GP acronym) - paternal - Exs: PGF - paternal grandfather; PGP - paternal grandparent

PO - parent(s) of - Exs: POD - parent(s) of daughter(s); POS - parent(s) of son(s)

S - step - Exs: SF - step-father; SDIL - step-daughter-in-law

S2B or STB - soon-to-be - Exs: S2BDH - soon-to-be-dear-husband; STBMIL - soon-to-be-mother-in-law

X - ex - Exs: XW - ex-wife; STBXFIL - soon-to-be-ex-father-in-law

... Continued...

Edited by RoseRed135
to add an example
1 person likes this

... Continuing...

Body of an Acronym - Some letters take up the body of an acronym and almost always mean the same:

SAH - stay-at-home - Exs: SAHM - stay-at-home mom; SAHD - stay-at-home dad

WAH - work(ing)-at-home - Exs: WAHD - work(ing)-at-home-dad; WAHP - work(ing)-at-home-parent

WOH -work(ing)-outside-the-home - Exs: WOHM - work(ing)-outside-the-home-mom; WOHP - work(ing)-outside-the-home-parent

Middle or End of Acronym - Some letters almost always have the same meaning when used in the middle/at the end of an acronym:

C - child/ren - Exs: AC 0 adult child/ren, DC - dear child/ren, GGC  - great grandchild/ren

C - contact - Exs - LC - low contact, VLC - very low contact, NC - no contact (also see CO under "Multiple Definitions" below)

G - grandchildren - Ex - GRG - grandparents raising grandchildren

IL - inlaw - Exs: AIL - aunt-in-law; DIL- daughter-in-law; MIL - mother-in-law; PIL - parent-in-law; GFIL - grandfather-in-law

OTY - of the year - Exs - MOTY - Mother of the Year; GFOTY - Grandfather of the Year - usually used sarcastically or critically, as in, "At family occasions, she acts like she's GMOTY (Grandmother of the Year), but she's not. In fact, she rarely has time for her grandkids!")

... Continued...

Edited by RoseRed135
accuracy
1 person likes this

.... Continuing....

Multiple Definitions - Some acronyms have more than one meaning, depending on context:

BF - best friend, boyfriend, breastfeeding

C - child or children - Exs: AC - adult child/ren; CIL - child/ren-in-law; GC -grandchild/ren

CO - cut off  - estrangement (noun) or to become estranged from someon (verb) (also see NC under "Middle or End of an Acronym" in above post)

CYA - cover/ed/ing your A -word

DD - dear/darling dad or daughter (most often used with 'daughter')

DF - dear/darling father or fiance(e)

DS - dear/darling sister or son

DV - divorce, domestic violence

FIL - father-in-law, future inlaw

FM - family member, flying monkey (This phrase is based on the monkeys sent out by the wicked witch in The Wizard of Oz.. It refers to someone who acts on behalf of one person against another. Often used to mean someone who is asked or manipulated into interceding on behalf of one relative/IL against another in a family dispute.)

FT - FaceTime (on the phone), fulltime

GC - grandchild/ren, "Golden Child" (favored child)

GF - girlfriend, grandfather

GP - grandpa, grandparent (most often used as "grandparent")

IDW - I don't wanna or Idon'twanna, as in "Idon'twanna DIL/MIL/etc," describing someone who doesn't want, for example, to be bother w/ their ILs

IJDW - I just don't wanna or "Ijustdont'wanna." as in "Ijustdon'twanna DIL/MIL/etc." describing someone who has/seems to have little/no reason to brush off their ILs and "just doesn't want to" spend any time w them/make any effort.

O (in front of a relative acronym) - older or oldest - ODD - older/est dear daughter; ODB - older/est dear brother

O - original (or opening) - Ex: OP - original (opening) poster

OMG - Oh my God!/ Oh my goodness!

OP - original (opening) post/er

OT - off-topic, over time

OTOH - On the one hand; on the other hand

PA - passive-aggressive (see also P/A in the post below), parental alienation (see also PAS in the post below), personal attack

PP - previous post/poster

PT - part time, Physical Touch (one of the "5 love languages")

QT - quality time/Quality Time (one of the "5 love languages"), quiet/quiet time

SIL - sister-in-law, son-in-law

SO - significant other, spin-off (as in "This is a SO -spin-off- of another thread." This can also be written as S/O)

SS - social secretary (as in the person, if any, who handles a couple's social calendar and social amenities)/ stepsister, stepson

TG - Thank God!/Thank goodness!/Thanksgiving

Y - younger or youngest - YDD - younger dear daughter; YDB - younger dear brother

.... Continued....

Edited by RoseRed135
reorganization
1 person likes this

.... Continuing...

Random Acronyms and Other Definitions (also includes some that seemed to need more detailed information):

AOS - Acts of Service (one of the alleged "5 love languages" from Gary Chapman's book)

AP - Attachment Parenting (a style of parenting that encourages baby-wearing, co-sleeping, etc.)

baby rabies - an extreme and unacceptable level of excitement about a new baby (usually refers to the state of mind of an overly excited grandmother who often hogs the newborn, pulls them out of their mom's arms, refuses to give them back, etc.)

bean dip - change the subject (as in, " I guess I'll just have to answer briefly and then bean dip if MIL/DIL/whoever asks me that again."). Based on what you (general) might say when cornered at a party (as in,  "No worries, we've got it covered! Have you tried the bean dip?")

BEC - "Babe/B__   eating crackers!" - refers to the point where someone (MIL, DIL or whoever) dislikes someone else so much (MIL, DIL or whoever) that they get upset, no matter what the other person does, even if they just see that person doing something as harmless as "eating crackers."

BG - background

BH - black hole - to totally ignore/cut off (similar to CO or NC below), to refrain from contacting or acknowledging in any way

BIB - "B__ is breathing" - refers to a stage similar to the BEC stage, only beyond that/worse

BLW - baby led weaning - the practice of "skipping" purees and adding solid foods to a baby's diet at about 6 months, letting them learn to feed themselves

BRB - be right back

BTDT - been there, done that

BTW - by the way

CIO - cry it out (as in, "let the baby cry it out")

DARVO. - Defend, Argue, Reverse Victim Offender - refers to the effort to deflect a topic/evade the issue by bringing up your (general) own complaint (often unrelated to the original topic)

extinction burst - situation where an offending person's negative behavior gets worse b4 it gets better

ETA - edited to add

FB - Facebook

FF - formula feeding/er

FN - fake news

FRP - Free Range Parenting - a style of parenting where parents gradually and deliberately allow their child increasing independence, based on their own parental judgment of when they're ready.

GAL - guardian ad litum (children's advocate in court)

GAS - Grandparent Alienation Syndrome - deliberate alienation of  a child from their GP(s), generally by a parent (similar to PAS - Parental Alienation Syndrome - discussed further down in this list - there are serious arguments as to whether or not GAS exists) 

gaslighting (definition from Wikipedia, courtesy of SueSTx) - a form of mental abuse in which false information is presented with the intent of making a victim doubt his or her own memory, perception and sanity.

ghost - to drop/CO someone all of a sudden/to suddenly end all contact w/ them. Also, the person who ends the contact in this way.

ghosted - to be suddenly COd by someone

GL - good luck!

GMAB - Give me a break!

HIPPO - happily ignoring previous posters' opinions/have ignored previous posters' opinions (probably not a good idea, but understandable, I think, if you're in a hurry)

hoover - relationship manipulation, to (try to) manipulate/pull someone back into a relationship (like a "vacuum cleaner")

HP - Home Page

HTDO - hill to die on - issue important enough to fight for, regardless of any negative consequences

HTH - Hope this/that helps!

ITO - indefinite time out (see TO below)

JADE - justify, argue, defend, explain - usually used in the negative, as in "Don't JADE!" Especially when advising someone who is dealing with a difficult IL or other
family member

JMO and JMHO - Just my opinion and just my humble opinion

KWIM? - Know what I mean?

LL - "love language(s)" (idea put forth by Dr. Gary Chapman in his book, "The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts")

LO - little one

NFL - "Natural Family Living" - a loosely defined philosophy of parenting that often includes some tenets of AP and may or may not include reliance on organic foods only, etc.

OFC - of course

OTT - over-the-top

P/A - passive aggression/passive-aggressive (See also PA in the post above)

PAS - Parental Alienation Syndrome (See also PA in the post above) - deliberate alienation of a child from one parent by the other (there is some disagreement, apparently, as to whether or not this can occur)

POV - point of view

possible triggers - possibly sensitive material that might bring on overly strong feelings/reactions in some people (see also "triggers below)

Planet Neptune - as in, "My MIL/DIL is from Planet Neptune" - suggests that a person suffers from illusions and vague, fuzzy thinking

PM - private (or persona) message - can be used as a noun ("I sent you a PM") or a verb ("I PMd you").

ramp up "the crazy" - increase negative behavior (something offending family members/ILs are sometimes said to do when asked to stop/change the problem behavior)

red flag - warning signal, sign of danger, caution

RG - Receiving Gifts  (one of the "5 love languages"),

RO - restraining order

SG - scapegoat

TBF - to be fair

TBH - to be honest

TIA - thanks in advance

TO - time out - as in a :break"/"breather" taken from a difficult relationship.. Some people have an end-date in mind, where they'll be willing to try again. Other times, they don't intend to end the TO until certain conditions are met or they don't have any definite end in mind, period. Such indefinite breaks are often called "ITOs" - indefinite time outs. (See ITO above.)

TPR - terminating/termination of parental rights

trigger - sensitive material that are likely to bring on overly strong feelings/reactions in some people (see also "possible triggers" above)

troll - fake poster, especially (but not only) one who posts fictitious stories, often just to get attention or, worse, to confuse and mislead (If you suspect someone is a troll, please report them or PM a mod. But do not call troll on the board, as GP.com sees that as a personal attack.)

TY - Thank you

varmint syndrome - a term a member's - agnurse's  - husband came up w/ :) -  means about the same as DARVO (above)

V V - vice versa

WOA - Words of Affirmation (one of the "5 love languages"),

WTG! - Way to go!

WWYD - What would you do?

YFYR - Your family, your responsibility - reflects the yours/mine or his/hers view of family, where the husband deals w/ his FOO and the wife deals w/ hers.

YMMV - Your mileage may vary (as in "Your needs/boundaries/limits/etc. may be different from mine or anyone else'")

YOA - years of age

Edited by RoseRed135
to add a definition
1 person likes this

Variations - Of course, some people use variations of the above acronyms, such as DDIL - dear daughter-in-law and DGC - dear grandchildren (one of my faves!). Also, some people use "E," as in EDD - elder/est dear daughter or EDS - elder/est dear son but it's not as common as the use of the "O" for "older/est." Regardless, I think that, once you (general) have a basic guide, such as this, you can figure out the rest yourself, fairly easily. If you run across any acronyms that stump you, however, please don't hesitate to ask about them below. :)

Edited by rosered135
size and color

What does BEC mean?

What does BEC mean?

post-159260-0-73481400-1353389564_thumb.

1 person likes this

FOO?

FOO?

family of origin

lol, that's funny. thanks

Welcome FedUpDIL! Cant' believe I left out FOO! We use it fairly often here! Thanks for explaining, homey!

I know it's "funny," FedUpDIL. ;) But we use it to distinguish a couple's parents/PILs, GPs, etc. from the immediate, nuclear family unit. We also, sometimes, use, the expressions "extended family" and "immediate family" to do that but not everybody agrees on where the line between those is drawn.

As you may realize, saying "FOO" is really synonymous with saying "side of the family." IOWs, a man's FOO is his side of the family and a woman's FOO is her side of the family. But FOO seems to be more popular here (maybe b/c it's quicker to write, IDK).

Edited by rosered135
size adjustment
1 person likes this

What does DuH mean?

A husband that is being a bit of a dud on a subject.

Oh ok thanks!!

Whats BEG?

@ WR - Usually, it's an acronym for BlueEyedGirl's username. If you've seen it in any other context, then IDK.

GMOTY/MOTY?  My guess is Grandma/Mother Out There??  

GMOTY/MOTY? My guess is Grandma/Mother Out There??

Grandmother of the year

(Treating AC's spouse/family poorly/behaving badly/being on a TO but then putting on a big fake show of how wooooonderful you are when in front of other people when they are also around)

Thanks!  It showed up in a post I read earlier & I couldn't find it in the acronym section.  You defined this well....actually, it's pretty funny - love these acronyms! 

Yeah, I just learned those, too. I guess there could also be FOTY and GFOTY, etc., as well (don't want the guys, what few there are that come in here, to feel left out)! :)

Is there a difference between OT and O/T?

@ Cupcake - No, they mean the same.

1 person likes this

Thanks this is really helpful!

1 person likes this

Thank you for pinning these.  They're very helpful! 

1 person likes this