• Announcements

• LaToyaADMIN

Tell us about your experience with signing up for Medicare   01/23/18

We want to know what the process was like for you, any difficulties you experienced, the length of your process, etc. This is strictly research and any information you share with us will not be shared elsewhere. Please email jack@grandparents.com with the subject line: Medicare Process and we'll be in touch with specific questions.
    • LaToyaADMIN

PLEASE READ: We are moving the community   02/15/18

Dear Community friends and family,   After great consideration, we are moving the Grandparents.com community to Facebook Groups effective March 15, 2018.   This wasn’t an easy decision, but we want to bring our communities together and believe the best place to do so is through Facebook’s groups feature. We’re so appreciative of you and the diverse conversations and opinions you have provided over the past 9 years. Your stories and amazing advice have helped so many readers, and have reached thousands of GP.com users. We encourage you to retrieve any information you want to retain as the forum will only be accessible by the admin after March 15, 2018. We’ve created a closed Facebook group called Mothers-in-Law Unplugged where we welcome you to continue the conversations around grandparenting, family, and in-law relationships, and any general topics we discuss here. As the group is closed and each user must be approved, your friends and family on Facebook won’t see any of your activity. Request to join the group here: http://bit.ly/milunplugged Thank you to all of our past and current users. You helped build our community, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in the Facebook groups. If you have any questions about the groups and privacy, let’s chat about here:   Sincerely,   The Grandparents.com Team
RoseRed135

Guide to Acronyms and Other Definitions Common to Internet Forums

42 posts in this topic

@GrannyGabby - Glad to hear it! And welcome! :)

Thank you!

1 person likes this

Hi, what does it mean when a title of a topic says, "Possible Triggers."

1 hour ago, Nanoo3 said:

That the contents may be upsetting to sensitive readers. Often refers to abuse, be it child, physical, emotional, or sexual, neglect, or violence

Edited by ImpishMom

9 hours ago, Nanoo3 said:

Welcome Nanoo3! Glad to have you aboard!

Thanks Imp for giving her the definition.

I've now added "possible triggers" to the "Random Acronyms and Other Definitions..." list.

7 hours ago, ImpishMom said:

That the contents may be upsetting to sensitive readers. Often refers to abuse, be it child, physical, emotional, or sexual, neglect, or violence

Edited by RoseRed135

Love 'baby rabies'    :)

10 minutes ago, Maxine2020 said:

Love 'baby rabies'    :)

It's only lovely until you see someone with an acute case....then it's horrifying.

WOW! I am new to this site! going to take awhile to learn these! YIKES! some I know ,but some,geez would rather just type and cut down on all the thinking!!! I will man up and try!! read this entire thing and still do not get the MIL? have seen it all over??? I am  tcseacliff ! i do not see a need for anonymous! unless I am hiding from someone ! if that is the case , would not be worth staying!  thanks!

just found MIL mother in law !! YAY me!  i missed a whole page of acronyms. this will be a challenge! quick question. I am both a New grand father as well as a DV dad!  saw this site and was feeling sorry for Grandpa & DAD! no Christmas call yet ! it is 9;45 pm already, bother children gave name the , sorry i missed your call dad will call later routine! both from the text message reply!!?? is there a forum for this?

PS forgot to add, I am stuck in Fla, they are back in NY .where I started?

Edited by tcseacliff

@tcseacliff - Welcome! Sorry you're feeling lonely this Christmas, but glad you decided to come in and talk w/ us!

Yes, it can take a while to get familiar w/ the acronyms often used here. Glad you found what you were looking for! You don't have to use them, yourself, of course, if you'd rather not.

Sorry you're so far away from your AC (adult children), especially at this time of year. But I see you've already found the Grandparenting From Afar forum, and I look forward to reading your comments there.

If you want to sound off more about text messages, etc., you might be interested in this thread in the Grandparents Unplugged forum:

just the opposite when I got divorced my children were just getting beepers, then we progressed to cell phones. I wanted them to keep in touch, and when  I had them on week ends and such, when they went to visit friends they could call me and pick them up and such! I liked having that connection. the ex had no cell phone and was not quick to adopt one. i for ,liked the connection! fast forward, they HATE talking on the phone! they rarely use any minutes mostly data! my son is always running his data over from streaming ,but none for texts to me ! the last conversation, text wise was him needing a new phone! his girl texted me alerting me to his phone not getting calls!

I hate texting and never even check for messages.  My family all know, if you want to talk CALL or send a PM on social media and I will answer as soon as I find it.  Nothing like a full size keyboard for these old stiff fingers.

We do text as a group. The kids have an underground I generally want no part of, so stay out of that, but for arranging 'things' or sharing an event photo it gets done in a group, we all comment and move on. It saves wear & tear on my fingers & nerves. 

I do get complaints from the kids that "she never checks her phone"...which is not true, but it is often in my bag, I don't have it glued to my side 24/7. Sometimes I don't hear it. 

@tcseacliff consider a 'facetime' or 'skype' date from time to time with the kids. This may be a 'mismatched expectations' on both levels...or perhaps cross purposes. You each think the other should be initiating contact. And I think it would be especially galling if you are paying for those phones.

I am not totally sure how bust they are texting. I know my daughter in general just is not a big communitcator. I get that busy etc. she is a school teacher ,with a new house, new child etc, but this started long before her "busy-ness! all I am asking for is a little acknowledgement of being alive! I had paid for the phones for 15 years, but now the bill was getting too much for my budget, so now ,i still pay the largest portion of the family plan and they now pay for their lines. cheaper for all ! I just thought since I am so far away, a phone call ,text or just a hey da anything would be nice! i am not demanding to be visited or have me as a house guest. OH, on that note, I gave the wife the house in the divorce, i did not want my children in an apartment if i demanded my half!! so, now fast forward from 1995-2016,the eX just sold the house, which forvced my son out! a good move to get him to be adult , but she gave the proceeds to my daughter, to buy a bigger house,which now has a glorious apt in the basement for MOM!!!yeah, it hurts! i cannot even get a hey dad so how are you today??? I was a faithful husband, available dad, just  out of work too much! she cheated on me while drinking with her friends.so I knew the marriage was in trouble but i did not stray . she would go out on friday and or a sat night with her friends from work! I chose to not do that I would maybe take myself to a movie or bowling ,just to get out also! my children do not know all these details! but she is he hero in all this!!

Edited by tcseacliff

But this is an Acronym Guide. :) As such, we mods have been discussing finding another thread in this forun to c & p the above exchange to. Finally, a new thread was opened and the above exchange moved over there:

These acronym definitions are helpful across many forums. Thanks

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, KCNoni said:

These acronym definitions are helpful across many forums. Thanks

Welcome KCNoni! Glad you decided to join us! And glad you find this thread helpful! :)