• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Are YOU a Longdistance Grandparent?

232 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, RGMFLxoxoxo said:

I have just joined this group. I am a new Grandmother and I live about a 10 hr drive from my one and only Granddaughter. It is only about a two hr flight and I  try to go and see her every 3 months. She is 10 months old and she actually has 8 Grandparents well You know there can only be 2 real Grandparents  on each parents side and the others are step grandparents.  So the other Grandparents have her on all the Holidays and then when I go in which is right after the Holidays. I have her all to myself and I stay with my Son and his wife and they let me take over the household, cook, clean and take care of my baby girl and take pictures and dress her up and play with her and I just watch her and I am so amazed of what my Son has created and I am so proud of him.  I know my Son and his wife miss me when I am gone. They do not have to do a thing. I do it all and love it. It is like I am happy as a lark and my Granddaughter has taking me hostage for 7 days and I leave the house twice and that is to go to the grocery store so I can cook  all my Son's favorite meals and his wife loves that too,

When I have to leave it is a sad time and it is hard to be away from her.  I have to ask my kids to send me pictures of her she changes everyday. They have her every day They are young and they have no idea how priceless those pictures and  videos are and will be for the future. I have to tell them I need my pictures so I can watch her grow.

I am going to get to see her in 14 days I am counting the days. And when I get there I will make the days count.

RGMFLxoxoxo

Welcome RGMFL! And congratulations on becoming a GM! Sounds like you've made the best out of your long distance situation. And your visits sound like a win-win-win - for you, DS (dear son) & DIL (daughter-in-law) and little GD, too! Hope you have a great time on your upcoming visit! Please keep us posted! :)

Edited by RoseRed135

One other thought - As time goes on and GD becomes more active, it might be more of a challenge for you to do all the cooking and cleaning when you visit and still get in all the time you want to just enjoy GD. You and the parents may then have to make some adjustments. But, no doubt, you'll figure it out.

1 person likes this

Learn, Live it and Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:good: Thank you I am glad to be here.

3 hours ago, RoseRed135 said:

One other thought - As time goes on and GD becomes more active, it might be more of a challenge for you to do all the cooking and cleaning when you visit and still get in all the time you want to just enjoy GD. You and the parents may then have to make some adjustments. But, no doubt, you'll figure it out.

1 person likes this

Yes, Thanks for the advice. I am new at this Grandma stuff. It is like being in love again!!!!!! And I love the journey I am on I am ready for the ride of a lifetime!!!

1 person likes this

On 12/5/2012 at 0:37 PM, RoseRed135 said:

Do you live far from any or all of your GC (grandchildren)? If so, what do you see as the plusses of your situation, if any? The minuses?

Or if your kids have LDGPs (longdistance grandparents) what do you see as the benefits and/or drawbacks of that scenario?

Please post your reply below. It can be long or short and please feel free to share any other thoughts you have on the topic.

I am a LDGM to both sets of grandkids.  My daughter and her two girls live about a 4 hour drive from me and my mom.  My son and his family live too far away to drive (we are in NE NC and they live in Iowa).  They both moved from NE NC to get better job opportunities.  DS is a cybersecurity associate with Walmart, and DD is a shift manager at a regional convenience store and is looking for a job as a medical assistant in a Dr office, which is what she went to school for.

On 10/17/2016 at 5:46 PM, cjmmytunes said:

I am a LDGM to both sets of grandkids.  My daughter and her two girls live about a 4 hour drive from me and my mom.  My son and his family live too far away to drive (we are in NE NC and they live in Iowa).  They both moved from NE NC to get better job opportunities.  DS is a cybersecurity associate with Walmart, and DD is a shift manager at a regional convenience store and is looking for a job as a medical assistant in a Dr office, which is what she went to school for.

Sorry that both sets of GC live at a distance. But, FWIW, that's not so unusual today. Elsewhere, you mentioned that you see each other on holidays. I hope you get to communicate w/ them, too, whether through Skype, emails, snail mail, FaceTime or regular phone calls..

Actually, since this thread was started some years ago, I've unpinned and locked it and started a new one:

Edited by RoseRed135