• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Any SINGLE Grandparents Here?

102 posts in this topic

Divorced? Separated? Widowed? Never-married? Then welcome to this group! Please come on in and introduce yourself, either briefly, below (Just key your comments into the Reply Box below and hit the Post button) or in more detail in a discussion thread of your own (go to the top-right of any Discussion Thread page in the group, click on Start a Topic and go from there). No, I'm not a single GP, myself, just a GP.com moderator and a caring GM, trying to get this once-lively group revved up again. This is a great place, IMO, to talk about the unique perks and problems of being a single GP (grandparent) and maybe make some new friends, in the process! Whether you're lonely or enjoying your role as a single GP, please come in, read and post. :)

ETA: As of December 2014, you need to post 10 replies to other threads before you can open one of your own. See "Why Can't I Start a New Topic?": http://community.grandparents.com/index.php/topic/12502-why-cant-i-start-a-new-topic/#entry214750

For some ideas on how (and how not) to amass those 10 replies, you may want to look at the thread, "Getting in Those 10 Replies" in Club Newcomer: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php/topic/12725-getting-in-those-10-replies/

Edited by rosered135
to reflect changes in site
3 people like this

hello my name is carol

Hello Carol! Welcome to this website and this group! Can you tell us anymore about yourself? Right now this group doesn't seem to be very active, I'm afraid. But perhaps if you begin talking some more, it will encourage others to do the same. I know there are other single GPs here!

1 person likes this

Hi, my name is Charlene, I am a widow twice. My grandson has now lost two grandfathers, my first husband of 30 yrs when my grandson was one and mostly recently the only grandfather on this side he has ever known.  He also lost his mothers father four yrs ago.  He never knew my first husband and my second husband and his mothers father both died of cancer related illnesses after numerous hospitalizations and surgeries.  His parents have been divorced most of his life and his father remarried a yr ago which gave him two step siblings which he does not get along with and a new step mother he doesn't like or respect, needless to say he has some issues.  Thankfully he and I are very close and we talk a lot which I hope helps.  The other day out of the blue he says grandma I don't want you to get married again.  Now that has not crossed my mine and I rarely leave the house and know no one other than family here so it took me by surprise.  I guess its his way of saying he has had enough change in his little life, that I can understand. Its really hard being the only grandparent, he did so many things with his grandfather that I don;'t know how or have any interest in, I feel like I need to make up for his loss somehow but don't how,  I am hoping maybe someone out there can help me.

My nine year old granddaughter has 'lost' more members of her extended families that many adults have.  Yes, it is hard on them.

Hello Everyone, my name is Linda. I've been in some of the other group before, they change the site. It's hard to remember what some of the group I've been in so I thought I'd give this group a try. Hope everyone has a GOOD DAY!!!

1 person likes this

Welcome Charlene and Linda! Glad to see you decided to give this group a chance!

@ Charlene - I'm so sorry about your losses and the ones your little GS has faced. Clearly, he has learned about loss and the downside of change a little too early in his life but, of course, there's not much anyone can do about that. I don't think there's any way you can "make up for" anything hes' missing as far as your 2nd DH (dear husband) or anyone else who is gone from GS' life is concerned. Nor do I think that's your "job" though it may feel as if it is. All you can do, IMO, is love him and share with him whoever you  are as a person and whatever talents, interests, etc you have to share (assuming his parents are cool with them). You might want to ask the parents if it's ok if you relive memories of, say, your 2nd DH with him or tell him stories he doesn't know about either GF, now and then (I don't think you'd want to push him to live in the past). Same with looking at and talking over pics of them.  But beyond that, please just love him and move forward.

Thanks for the invite.  This is Pamela.  A single grandparent raising my 9 year old granddaughter for the past few years.  I've spent those years devoted to she and work...and feel that soon I should attempt to 'step out' there and meet some others doing the same, thinking that might include the opposite sex!  Interesting to do this where I am in this life...55, single with a 9 year old, outdoor minded...and secretly wishing to be off somewhere in an RV!  Looking forward to seeing what this new site might bring in general conversation with others doing the same.

Hi bigbend! It's Rosered135 from Grandparents Caring for Grandkids! Glad you found your way over here! Hope you enjoy this group and also talk to us some more in GCfG! Welcome!

Hi, my name is Debbie, I am divorced, live in Texas and am looking for friends around the Dallas area, will also love chatting in here with everyone.

Welcome Debbie! Glad you decided to post! I see you've commented in a few places so I'm going to look at them all.

I hope that's not your full email address, however. If so, for privacy reasons, you might want to alter your username, a little - or a lot. If so, just click on your name, above-right, then My Settings, then Display Name and go from there. If, for any reason, it doesn't work, please send a PM (private/personal message) to GPstaff. (If you need to know how to send a PM, please let me know or click on HELP, below-left and scroll down to where it says Personal Messenger.)

ETA: You, too, Carol!

Oh yes I am sure there are.I have met quite a few grandpas at church. And  the skating rink..at the grocery stores and we all do the same,talk exchange numbers and sometimes have play dates,lol

1 person likes this

Sounds like fun berneva! Welcome!

Hi,  My name is Suzzi and I am from Texas.  I am in the middle of a divorce after 33 years of marriage.  SO DIFFICULT !

I also have been raising my 9 yr old grandson for the past 6 years,

Being single again is going to be huge,,,,,,I never thought that I would have to grow old alone.

I really would like to find a buddy or group who might be in a similar situation?

I used to belong to a group called Grandparents raising Grandchildren.  I LOVED that group and I learned so much

from them all.  I was deeply saddened when the group fell apart ......I just found this site......The sadness i feel every

single day brings me to tears. 

1 person likes this

Hi Suzzi.

I'm Sue, and I'm from Texas also.  I have a 9 yr old granddaughter whose parents have been seperated for four months, throught the holidays, and they are trying to get back together and make their marriage work.   I understand how hard it can be on the kids.

We have a group here "Grandparents caring for grandkids".  You might try out this group.

Welcome Suzzi! I so feel for you and everything your going through! it must be so hard to have a marriage fall apart after all these years!  As Sue says, I know it can be hard on the little boy, too, and I hope he's handling it reasonably well.

I also hope, as Sue suggests, that you come over and talk to us in Grandparents Caring for Grandkids, also. (Thanks Sue!) There you'll see many other GPs (grandparents) who are raising their GC (grandchildren) and some of whom are divorced or separated, etc.

It's "normal," I think, for you to be in tears, frequently, as you go through the process of ending your marriage. But still, I think you might also want to share with the people in 50 Shades of Blue, as well.

Regardless, I wish you all the strength and courage you need to get through this difficult time and keep it together for your darling GS! Many hugs!

Hi my name is Theresa, I am a single grandmother of 4 grandkids and one on the way. I live 24000 miles away from my grandkids intentionally. I do visit them and spoil them when I can. This way I stay out of there lives and they don't treat me as a free babysitter.

I'v been away from them for 5 years, do miss being closer to them. When I retire I will move closer to them and probablly bug them till they ship me off to a retirment home.

Welcome Theresa! What an interesting and delightful post! And congrats on your growing family! I'm so glad you came to talk to this group! I hope you'll go over and talk to the people in Grandprenting From Afar, as well! :)

Welcome Theresa...glad to see you posting in our group.

I noticed that you are using your email address as a user name here and I strongly suggest that you alter that username, a little - or, if you prefer, a lot - for reasons of privacy. Also, please let a moderator or administrator know.

Step 1: Click your screen name at the top right hand corner of your screen

Step 2: Click My Settings

Step 3: Click ""Display Name"" in the menu

Step 4: Change your display name

You can PM a moderator by pointing to one of our names above our post and on the drop down, click on the send a message button under our avatar.

If you find you have a problem changing your username? Then please contact help@grandparents.com.

We are delighted to have you here at GP.com and just trying to make your experience here as pleasant and comfortable as possible, in the long run.

Hi.  I am going thru a separation after 38 years of marriage and 40 years in this relationship.  I really don't know how to spend time with a date.  I am not prepared to move too quickly.  It is very scary for me.

I have 4 beautiful grandchildren--3 in Louisiana ( whom I really miss) and 1 local who is with me alot.  Her parents are expecting twins in Sept.  So, our family is really expanding.  Love them all so very much.  

If you would like to talk with a young 61 year old grandmother who is fun to be around and very affectionate and caring, please let me know.  I would like to find a relationship to share my life---I am lonely---it has been 1 1/2 years since he left and he was GONE before that.  I live in the Dayton, OH area and would welcome the friendship.  I love to play euchre and watch football in the fall.  I love to watch the ID channel, Science channel, NCIS, NCIS LA, CSI Vegas @ NY, Dancing With the Stars, Storage Wars, American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Hawaii 5 O, Body of Proof, ---I think you get the point.   Love action movies and comedies.  Hope I didn't get too carried away.  So sorry if I was too windy!!

Look forward to hearing from some other grandparents and reading your stories. 

Hi, my name is Marilyn, am 61, dirvorced, at peace, debating going back to school for recertification ; am on a job hunt. Any places geared for people 55 and over to work that you know of? I am about to become a great grand parent for the first time, it gives me a strong sense of contentment ,fullfillment. I am happy when fellowshiping with christian people. Do enjoy being by the ocean, in it or on it in a boat; with family, friends. Just a hello to all. Cordially, Marilyn R.

On the home page of this website near the bottom there is a link for jobs for people over 50. Some are online so you might be able to work from home.

1 person likes this

Hi Everyone!

My name is Pattie. I'm a Jersey girl-lol-woman living in Georgia for the past 13 years. Came here 13 years ago with two wonderful parents, my perfect husband and my daughter. In a span of 5 short years I lost my mom to cancer in 2004, my dad in 2005 and then my husband to cancer in 2008. He was only 47 and it was a shockHe was 7 years younger than myself.. My daughter gave birth to the joy of my life, my grand daughter on my birthday in 2007.What a gift huh? My husband had just one year with her. My daughter has some disabilities so she is living with me and my grand daughter has been with me since birth. I am 59 and it's hard to find others my age who want anything to do with a 5 year old! My life has not ended but it does mainly revolve around my grand daughter. I miss my husband so very much. So-there you have it--hello.

Welcome, Nan, Marilyn and Pattie! Nan and Marilyn, I'm so sorry that I didn't see your posts sooner! You both seem to have "left" shortly after you posted though. I hope you haven't forgotten us and will be back again soon. Please let us know if you do stop in.

@ Nan - So sorry about your separation! I can understand that it's a little 'scary" to be single again. But soon enough, I'm sure that will pass and you'll find love again if that's what you want.

Meanwhile, congrats on your growing family! And since some of them live at a distance, you might want to talk with people in Grandparenting From Afar (you'll find it on the Index, under the category of Grandparenitng), as well.

@ Marilyn - Congrats on becoming a GGM (great-grandmother)! What a blessing! And sorry about your divorce but glad you are "at peace." As for jobs, please note the advice homeygfunk gave you, above.

@ Pattie - My deepest condolences on your losses. Even more so since they were all so close together! So very sad.

How beautiful, though, that you find such joy in your GD (granddaughter)! And that you and she share a birthday! :)

You may not find many people your age, in person, "who want anything to do with a 5 year old!" But, trust me, you will find other GPs here who have their AC (adult children) and GC living with them! Especially in Grandparents Caring for Grandkids (under Grandparenting on the Index) and Empty Nest No Longer (under Family Matters). Please feel free to come and talk with people in those 2 groups, as well as in this one.

Hope we hear from all of you some more!

@ All posters who have their first and last names and/or actual email addies in their usernames - If you'd like to change your name for privacy reasons, there are some new  instructions for doing so:

1. Click on the website title, above, left, then your username on the top-right of that page and then change your username where shown.

2. Click on http://www.grandparentis.com/profile and change your username where shown.

Hi Everyone!

My name is Pattie. I'm a Jersey girl-lol-woman living in Georgia for the past 13 years. Came here 13 years ago with two wonderful parents, my perfect husband and my daughter. In a span of 5 short years I lost my mom to cancer in 2004, my dad in 2005 and then my husband to cancer in 2008. He was only 47 and it was a shockHe was 7 years younger than myself.. My daughter gave birth to the joy of my life, my grand daughter on my birthday in 2007.What a gift huh? My husband had just one year with her. My daughter has some disabilities so she is living with me and my grand daughter has been with me since birth. I am 59 and it's hard to find others my age who want anything to do with a 5 year old! My life has not ended but it does mainly revolve around my grand daughter. I miss my husband so very much. So-there you have it--hello.

I found someone who does not care that I have AC and grandchildren. He has them as well. They are out there so don't give up.

1 person likes this