• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
RoseRed135

Any SINGLE Grandparents Here?

98 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am from a town in Florida. Single 47 grandmother. I have been raising my grandson since he was 5 months old. He will be two in July. Wishing everyone a great holiday coming up and looking for some fun friends to spend some time with.

Edited by homeygfunk
to edit out identifing city

Hi,

47 year old single grandmother with a baby boy here. Looking for some fun friends to hang out!

Welcome Mommom263! I see you have been raising a GC for some time now. That is a big responsibility but it also has its rewards. You will find that there are some great friends here. Feel free to come in anytime and let us know how things are going for you. Being single and raising your GC can be very overwhelming but the smiles and hugs you get from the little tykes make it all worthwhile.

1 person likes this

Thank you very much for the kind words. And yes it has been very hard but very fun we have lots of fun.

@ Mommom263  I sent you a PM (personal message). You can check this by clicking on the envelope next to your username at the top right of the page.

Hi Mommom! And kudos to you for taking on the challenge of raising your baby GS (grandson) at our stage of life! I know what you mean by "very hard but very fun!" My heart is with you, but, in the end, I'm sure the rewards will outweigh any difficulties.

I'm not sure if you're actually looking for friends to "hang out with" in person or just here online. If it's the first, you may or may not find that through this website. But if it's the second, that I'm certain you'll find. Good luck on your search!

Hi there,

New to the site...anyone on here from Nashville area?  I'm a grandmother and GREAT grandmother, and find it remarkable that I am the reason for all these people to have the opportunity to live on this beautiful world and have wonderful experiences.  We are so blessed!

Nannie Jean

Welcome to the site Nannie Jean. Isn't it wonderful to be a grandmother and a great-grandmother? That must be exhausting! Tell us more about those wonderful grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

If that is your actual email address, you might want to change it for greater privacy. To do so, just go here http://grandparents.com/profile and change your username where shown. If you have trouble changing it just PM (personal message) me and I will help you or get someone who can. The personal message -- PM -- is at the top right of the page, it looks like a little envelope. Or you can just put your cursor over the name of who you want to PM and there will be a box that will pop up that has the option to send a message.

Hi everyone I go by the name Tine. I have been divorced for over seven years now. Just became a member of this site last month. Very encouraging and so far meeting a nice group if people.

Rbl1957

Welcome to the group Rbl1957. Sorry to hear about your divorce. How did you hear about this website? Do you have children or grandchildren? There are some great people here. Feel free to come in anytime and start a conversation. Maybe you can get some great long term friendships going here. If you ever want to start a new topic there is a link at the top right of the group home page. Hope to see you back here soon.

Hello 

My name is Leesa and I am a widow

Welcome to the group, leesa. I am the moderator for this group. Tell us more about yourself. Do you have any kids or grandkids? What are your hobbies? Have you looked at any of the other groups here? I don't know what you might be interested in but if you tell us more about yourself I might be able to direct you to other groups. Or maybe you are just here to find friends. Whatever brought you here to this website, welcome and I hope you find what you are looking for.

You might want to change your user name for greater privacy. These are the updated instructions for changing your user name,

If you'd like to change your username, please go to this link http://www.grandparents.com/profile and change your username where shown. (You'll have to log out and then log back in again to see the change.)

Also,

if you change your username or plan to, please let a mod know,

preferably, the Lead Mod(s) of the forum(s) you frequent. (In this group, homeygfunk). This is so that we don't think

you are deliberately using 2 accounts, at the same time, which, of

course, is against GP.com rules.

Hello 

My name is Leesa and I am a widow

Hi Leesa  I am also a widow, have been for over 7 years I have a DD & DS who is married and has my GD.

Welcome to the group.

Hi all, I am a 55 year old divorced grandma in Washington state. I just found this site and thought it would be great if I could make some friends. Great to be here!

Welcome to the group, Hanako. I am homeygfunk and I am the moderator here in this group. We are glad to have you here. Do you have any grandchildren? Have you looked over the rest of this website yet? There are other groups here and I am wondering if you have had a chance to look at any of them. Tell us more about yourself. What kind of things are you interested in? Whatever you are here for I am sure you will find friends here. Welcome to the group. 

Thank you for the welcome:) I have 4 grandchildren right now...I came upon this site while I was searching on the topic of disrespectful adult children so I have kinda looked around on this site. I am a baseline lurker, but I am pushing my self to be more active:-D

There are some great articles on the home page. You might even find one on difficult AC. I will look thru them later when I have more time and see if there are any I can recommend. Good to see you here and I hope you find many friends while you are here.

Another welcome, Hanako! Glad you decided to check out this site! Hope you find some good advice about "disrespectful" AC, either in some of the articles on this site or here in the Community! And yes, hope you make some new friends, as well!

Hi, I'm Judy. Yes, I am a Grandparent and single. I moved to home state to try and start anew and I live with and take care of my Mother.

Edited by homeygfunk
to remove identifying state

Welcome, Judy. I am homeygfunk and I am the moderator for this group. How many grandchildren do you have? I see that you take care of your mother. That is impressive. My sister did a lot where my mother was concerned when my mother had to go to live in assisted living. I don't know how she kept up with it all. I hope you are taking care of yourself.

You might want to change your user name for privacy and safety reasons. Here are the updated instructions to do that. Also I am sending you a PM (personal message). Look at the top right of the screen and you will see an envelope with a number in it. Click on that to get your PM.

If you'd like to change your username, please go to this link http://www.grandparents.com/profile and change your username where shown. (You'll have to log out and then log back in again to see the change.)

Also,
if you change your username or plan to, please let a mod know,
preferably, the Lead Mod(s) of the forum(s) you frequent. (In this group, homeygfunk). This is so that we don't think
you are deliberately using 2 accounts, at the same time, which, of
course, is against GP.com rules.

Hi Judy! And bless you for being there for your mother! Also, I hope things are working out with your "new start!" I hope you take critter's advice to change your username. But whatever else you do, I hope you enjoy this group and this website!

Hi, I'm Paula.  I'm trying to meet other single grandparents who like spending time with their grandchildren. 

Welcome PJMaaxxx. I am homeygfunk and I am the moderator for this group. I like to spend time with my grandchildren. There are many here that do. I hope that you find as many friends here as you can. Tell us more about your grandchildren. I am sure when other members check in you will get a chance to meet new people and share your grandparenting experiences.

Hi Paula! I enjoy spending time with my DGC (dear grandchildren), also! In fact, I take care of them, frequently, while their mom is at work, etc. Hope you come back in and talk with us some more, real soon!

Charlene- I feel Rosered made some good suggestions. Don't know the age of your grandson, but I think simply allowing him to visit (within his feelings) &

mull what he's experiencing inside is the goal. You can't change Life, but you Can help him deal with the confusion he's experiencing at all the loss. If he wants to talk about someone, you can listen, maybe mirror what he appears to be trying to say (i.e., "Grandpa's gone & you miss him", "You wish Grandpa were still here", etc.), the hope being he can imply and you can read what he's expressing without putting thoughts & words out that aren't his, just the thoughts & words of a child his age. If he can work through his feelings, he can accept what is- & be stronger for it.

To the discussion thread: I'm a single grandmother, divorced from my son's father & "widowed" a couple of years ago from a dear companion. My life's path now is as live-in caregiver to a toddler as her parents follow their respective military careers; my son called me in Hawaii & asked me to come. Spent 2 years in their home while they finished college, am now in Virginia with son & toddler while he does officer training & Mom does flight training in Florida. The initial 2 years were difficult for me, feeling kind of outside the vivacious & busy relationship of the parents, a bit second class citizen after being on my own for so long, thrown into "older person" status (which isn't much status!). It's easier now since the parents are separated from each other, but the sudden peripheral feeling returns when mama visits, especially since it's important they rekindle family sense while they can. Also, it's my job to show up for military gatherings as family & it's with all 20-somethings & their young kids, all great people but Young! I greatly miss peers; I've already experienced the new parent enthusiasm & can't revisit it willingly. Talked with a friend from CA on the phone recently & was So relieved to be able to speak my mind rather than having to be careful & aware of age & perspective. I know all the shoulds about "getting out", but this training requires I be available day & night. Will hopefully put toddler in a good preschool for mornings next week & am So looking forward to some time to breathe, but that's only 4 morning hours & will never be evenings or weekends, so socialization opportunities are very constricted.