• Announcements

• LatoyaADMIN

What to do if you get a "Wrong Password" message   01/21/16

You must reset your password (even if you know it's the right one) before you can sign into the community. Thanks to the upgrade, there's an issue with passwords and signing in. The good news is that you can click here: http://community.grandparents.com/index.php?/lostpassword/ to change your password (it'll let you reuse your old one). If you can't reach the email address connected to your account then please contact the admin at latoya@grandparents.com and I'll help you sort it out. 
    • LatoyaADMIN

Anonymous posting is back   01/21/16

We've removed the extra step that required you to go to the full-page editor to access the anonymous post option. Now, you can reply to a post and toggle the button to post anonymous (see photo below).    Read more on anonymous posting here:    In short, the mods can see who posts as anonymous, we moderate anonymous posts the same as revealed posts, you can reply anonymously to your own topic, you may report anonymous posts.
GPstaff

Welcome -- PLEASE READ!

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to The Great Debate – a board where members can debate on topics related to parenting or grandparenting.

A few things to know about this board before you post:

• This is not a forum to seek advice
  • All opinions are welcome
  • No attacks – PERIOD! You might find a lot of opinions you don’t agree with. Under NO circumstances is any user allowed to attack, explicitly or implicitly, another user for their views on a particular subject.
  • The moderators are allowed to edit or delete posts or parts of a post they view as an attack. Members who repeatedly attack others may be banned from the board or issued a warning point at the discretion of the mods and the GP admin.

Note: Grandparents.com does not permit foul language, vulgarity, hate speech, or unauthorized solicitations.

1 person likes this

Many thanks to Grandparents.com for setting up this board  It's purpose is clear....this is a place to debate issues.  If you want everyone to agree with you, then this is NOT the board for you.   

A few guidelines that stand out to me...

First, arguments are better when supported by evidence.  

Second, if you write it, be prepared to defend it. 

Third, a differing opinion doesn't constitute an attack, only an opportunity for more discussion.

I want to second Lilypond's thank you to GP.com and say that I think this new board offers a wonderful opportunity for healthy debate for those who enjoy that. I'm really looking forward to seeing it take off!

1 person likes this

Nice,  I have been on other sights where I have been told off just for what I thought, even my spelling once.

1 person likes this

Wondering if any grandparent has any idea why the moms-of-today are so anti-playpen?  I put my kids in one, but not all day!  It was useful for things like setting the kid down in while I made trips back and forth from the car with groceries.  Or to have my baby in the kitchen while I spend time preparing meals, but not underfoot.   I saw it as a safety / comfort thing and used it for the babies benefit as well as mine as part of our daily schedule.  Certainly not all day, and not a form of neglect.  So I'm sort of pro-playpen!

Wondering if any grandparent has any idea why the moms-of-today are so anti-playpen?  I put my kids in one, but not all day!  It was useful for things like setting the kid down in while I made trips back and forth from the car with groceries.  Or to have my baby in the kitchen while I spend time preparing meals, but not underfoot.   I saw it as a safety / comfort thing and used it for the babies benefit as well as mine as part of our daily schedule.  Certainly not all day, and not a form of neglect.  So I'm sort of pro-playpen!

You might want to start your own topic on this subject.  You will get more responses. 

For what it's worth, I am a "mom of today."  I have a 3 year old and a 5 month old.  I wasn't aware there was an "anti-playpen" movement amongst modern moms.  I have never used one but I have nothing against them.  I usually hold my babies or wear them when I'm trying to get stuff done.  Once in a while I will put the baby in the bouncy chair or high chair (since mine like to sit upright and see what's going on) but that's not often.  Usually I'll just hold the baby or if the baby can crawl let my baby crawl since I babyproof my home.  I'm pretty minimalist and don't use a lot of tyical "baby gear."  My baby carrier is my best friend as I can wear my baby when I do all sorts of stuff. 

@ gramma - Hi again! Interesting topic! When you've reached the point where you can open your own thread - after you've posted 10 replies in other people's - I hope you take Brit's advice and begin your own debate on this subject. I look forward to it! know it will take a while to get to that point, but you're moving along, as I can see (4 posts, already). :)

Locking this thread, temporarily...